Too early to top?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by CheechinSwishers, Feb 22, 2014.

1. I wanna top this one early but is it too early?

download.jpg

2. How many weeks in are you? I advise you to not top ,fim ,or LST until at least the fourth week of the vegetative stage.

3. I won't top now it is just in seedling stage,just 2 internoods almost no point to do it.Also at this stage plant may have difucult to recuperate from top.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. You can top really whenever you want. I will say this tho, it takes longer to sex the plants if you top them. Usually about the 7-8th node, they will show up

Sent from my LG-D500 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Man, it can be done but its risky. Wait untill the 3rd set of leaves are fully developed at least, and get the very, very center of the new growth. You can have 2-3 sets of leaves growing at top. Alot of people (and I) have cut more than is needed.

If you want to get wild, wash your hands and pinch the very inside growth gently with your finger.
    This will stunt top growth without "killing" it off. Idk if it counts as a FIM.

Another odd "gentle" method to promote bushing and vertical stunting is poking a sterile needle through the center of the top growth.
    The top 2 methods can produce more than one top, but you usually end up with the main shoot healing and growing.

6. #8 bananamber, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
    My general rule of thumb for topping is no sooner than 5 nodes. Some go sooner though but I like 5. I don't like doing any training earlier than 5 nodes.

7. I would let her go one more leaf set and then fim. Its less stressful and you will wind up with 4 shoots instead of two.