Is a greenhouse what I need?

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by Deleted member 638051, Feb 19, 2014.

1. I'm not much of a farmer. I don't know if a greenhouse is what I need or not. Maybe I'm just not sure exactly what a greenhouse is or does. I live on the coast of central Ca. where we have micro climates that change right before your eyes. But this little town I live in seems to get all the cool weather. We might go for days in thick fog, then the wind will blow the fog away for a day or two, then have overcast for awhile, then fog again. Sometimes the fog will lift about mid day, sometimes it will hang around for days/weeks at a time. Outdoor temps can range from 50f to 85f in the same week. Kinda crazy. My last grow I was in buckets outside on sunny days, and moved into the shed with CFL's at night, and left in the shed on gloomy days. I ended up with mold and rot, with usable one and a half oz's each from 2 plants dried. I am currently growing inside the house and very inconveniently cramped for space. About 42 days into 12/12. 
    My electric bill is killing me! I would like to build a small greenhouse and use free light outside. Maybe do 3 or 4 females at a time. I'm thinking to supplement a couple hours of light in the greenhouse if needed. 
    So, with sunshine being  sorta hit&miss, do you think a greenhouse will help, or just make a bigger mess?

Thanks for advice or ideas to help me understand all this.

2. How many plants do you want to grow? What I would do is have a 400 watt MH (dimmable ballast) and use it at night for a few hours then turn it off once your plants get light. The reason I say get a dimmable is because you can use less power. Your plants won't grow as much in that period versus using it at 100 percent but they won't flower either.

My 2 cents.

3. #3 Vee, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    This sounds like my growing conditions, any better then we would all be living further south, and we would have greater problems ....lol
    germ and early veg inside, takes about 2 weeks then move to the greenhouse for veg and bud, the greenhouse will give you some protection from the elements but not the molds, so I spray 1x every week with Neem Oil to prevent mold and bugs, ensure your new greenhouse has ample fans, its the other way of reducing molds, others are having a higher percentage of indica than sativa in your strains so they come off earlier or just grow autos ...?

4. Vostok,  do you run your fans at night?

5. Run fans 24/7 bro never should you not have ventilation. That's how you get molds and mildew is stagnant humid air.

6. Glad to hear that. I have been on some nights and not on others. Makes it chili in there..I shall heed that advice RD and keep at least a couple on at nite. During the day I run 7 of them and roll up the sides to maintain around 80.  If I didn't they would cook.

7. I should probably invest in some fans next year.
    I have a window in the back, so every other day I leave the front door open to facilitate airflow.

Not only do fans help prevent mold and mildew by promoting fresh air, but the wind blowing the stems actually causes them to get thicker as they resist the breeze.