Good So Far?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by maverick24, Feb 19, 2014.

1. First Coco Grow:

-I put the seeds into cup of water on 2/11/14

-All of them except one sprouted to the surface and were transferred to 3 gallon pots on 2/15/14

- Pictures taken today 2/18/14

- Started adding 2.5 ml of "Canna Start" per Liter of water today. Adding a bit on the days after transferring to pots to help them out.

How are they looking so, far? Pics look a bit yellow due to the lights.

Question: One of the seeds is just beginning to sprout today, opening up its 2 first leaves is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. All that's normal, Seeds are fun to watch, Looking good!!

3. 2/24/14

Watering with 1ML " Canna Start" per Liter of water.

How are they looking?

Any issues? Too much heat? I have considered that perhaps the larger plants are a bit under watered. Reason being I was using the same amount of water for all plants even the bigger ones and the leaves look a bit droopy. Then again I water everyday so, and may not be a problem.

Each Photo is a different plant.

Attached Files:

4. The leaves look a bit more curled down. What is causing this over watering?

PH is 5.9

5. This is the curling.

Any Thoughts?

Attached Files:

6. What's your pH? Also, what's the highest the temperature gets?

7. PH is 5.9.

Not to sure about temp but, I doubt it gets too hot. I switch lights on at 4 PM keep them on until 10 AM. Will check today.

8. It could be because the pH is a bit high for that stage of it's growth. During veg and early flowering I recommend using 5.5-5.6 pH, and during flowering slowly rise it up until 5.8-5.9 tops. Coco coir is considered hydroponics and should be treated as such when mixing your nutrients.

From what I've read and can see so far I'd guess it's that canna start might be too hot. I just give them pH balanced water for the first 2 weeks or so, until they are ready for a transplant. Just today at 6 weeks from seed my cheese plant's starter cotyledons finally dried up enough to fall off, they provide lots of nutrients for the first couple of weeks.

That's just my personal preference from experience, seedlings are delicate and don't need too much to survive. The first signs of when to use nutrients is when the round leaves start fading, soon after that you'll see yellowing on the lower leaves if not fed.

9. Really? Most of the things I have read states PH 5.8-6.2 for Coco Coir.

10. That seems pretty high to me. I've been growing for 3-4 years in coco I've always stuck to the ranges I posted above and have had good results. Coco coir is inert, so you are relying completely on the nutrients you feed it to control the medium, like with hydroponics.