First grow; LED Organic

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ruby.chroniclady, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Thanks for that will pop on over

2. #22 ruby.chroniclady, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
    So I have these kittens I am fostering. The ginger that looks like a permanent stoner manages to get atop the cupboard (lord knows how) and plucked my biggest seedling straight from the soil. Slurped it up like spaghetti. Then proceeded to attack the next one, but I saved it. He was fine, the little shit.

Sadly the plant had seen better days. I was about to replant them that night, so proceeded anyway. Under the LED they went and lots of water. The weekend was an uncertain time, but come Monday they are looking good.

2014-02-22 11.09.26.jpg
    Saturday arvo

2014-02-23 20.44.44.jpg
    Sunday arvo

Should be back on track now :)

3. Purchase the Ed Rothensal book and you will have the course guide for Oaksterdam's grow college. I like Jorge Cervantes and would get the most recent copy. He adds new information to his guides every few years or so as technology improves and more is learned about marijuana. Regardless of what other have said about "grow bibles" they are a great starting point to learn how to grow that best suits your situation. Regardless if they endorse on brand over another is pointless. Learning what it takes to grow and the science behind growing is what's important. They will teach you why and what spectrums of light do what for plants, how temps and humidity affects you plants, the role and importance of each nutrient, what makes up a female/make flower. This thing you learn will greatly help you. They are worth it and will give you a great understanding of growing. They by no way perfect as no growing guide is. Learn from multiply sources to ensure you learn the most. You can even purchase the books online but having a paper copy works best. You will always have a copy and it's easy to read and save for referencing later down the road. The best way to learn is to find a mentor that's willing to teach you but not everyone has that opportunity. So following threads on this forum and reading books is the next best thing. I also would read other website on growing, watch YouTube videos and even films and tv shoes can add other valuable information regarding the industry in whole including growing. The more you know the better off you will be.

4. In case you didn't realize animals will destroy marijuana. Cats, dogs, wild animals especially deer all destroy plants. My dogs have ripped plants out by the rootball and chewed branches off them before. Always keep plants safe and secure from animals, children, police and rippers. Pô

5. They are safe in the grow tent now. Locked in the shed

Sent from my C6903 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I know you didn't ask me, but please flip through the CompiledOrganicInfo that I attached a few posts back.  It is all the grow bible you will ever need.  It even has an index so you can jump straight to the part you are interested in.

If you feel read to learn some science.... Teaming with Microbes (which I attached) is a fantastic place to start.  It will help you understand how a living soil balances pH and provides nutrients to the plant, so that all you have to do is water the soil.  Water-only.....  don't even pH the water.... no need.

7. #27 Gandalf_the_Green, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014

I'm going to attempt to express my utter disrespect for Grow Bibles and especially "Jorge Cervantes" in a way that doesn't feel like attacking you, Kronic.  Because you gave some really good advice about learning from multiple sources, finding a mentor, searching these forums, YouTube videos, etc.  Hopefully I succeed lol

Ed Rosenthal (I'm a little hesitant to post the correct spelling of his name, for fear that Ruby really will buy his book) wrote a decent book, that can be described as "introductory at best."  There is a reason it is being used to teach at a ridiculous institution like "Oaksterdam."  I swear, throw "Amsterdam", "Dutch", or "Humboldt" in freakin anything and it will sell.  Oaksterdam is another incarnation of Cervantes' grow shop.... "teaching" people to use products (I'm using that term liberally.... industrial waste is more accurate) that you then turn right around and sell to them at an insane markup.  Oaksterdam is run by Kyle Kushman and 'Shiloh Massive.'  Tell me, what degrees in horticulture, soil biology, or even agriculture do they have?  That's rhetorical, the answer is none.  Wouldn't you rather learn about "how to grow" from people who have actually studied horticulture or soil science at a real university?

However.... Rosenthal's book is at least is not filled (to the same degree) with the insane drivel and misinformation that "Cervantes" book is filled with.  Crap like "how to kill pathogens by baking your soil in your oven!"  Or how to sweeten/flavor your buds with molasses/koolaid.  Utterly ridiculous.  On every level.  Jorge Cervantes was originally George VanPatten..... then George Cervantes..... then Jorge Cervantes.... because it sounds coooooooool, and helps sell bottled industrial waste.  I promise you that reading Cervantes' book is like taking 1 step forward, and then getting in Lamborghini and driving 120kph in the other direction.  You'll spend the next year trying to figure out how to separate the few bits of good advice he gave you from the complete garbage he "taught" you.

I promise any question you have about growing will be answered on the Organic board, if you are willing to do some reading. 

8. Thanks Gandalf. Have done some but will endeavour to do more

9. Can confirm they are still alive. This evenings check shows new leaves :)

10. Great!  Post some pics!  Did you figure out what's in the Hortico potting soil mix?

11. Was in a rush so will list tomorrow

12. Hope all is still growing well ruby