Got new HPS light but it made my tent too hot, got and installed inline fan howd I do??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Reggae420, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Have not been on here in a while but I wanted to show you guys what I did today. Finally made the switch from CFL to HPS and here is how the fan install went.

http://imgur.com/a/w7ejM

2. Looks good, should have some air exchange with another fan pulling into the tent but for temp purposes it is fine. That fan is pretty close too, I would angle it to go over the top of the plant if it isn't already, not really "on" it.

I will just say this...those damn Holmes Blizzard fans are complete garbage. I bought 4 of them, 3 broke not long after I mounted them on the outside of a chimney stack I have running through the middle of my attic where my flower room is. They get stuck when oscillating, make this horrible "click click click" noise when they get stuck repeatedly and are now useless except for blowing straight.

3. yeah just get the air flowing in the tent when the plants bigger you can see it moving a little in the wind. but don't put it directly on the plant like that. and you don't need an intake fan just create negative pressure then open one of those bottom flaps and you will have a free passive air intake. I always like free things. Happy growing

4. That's a great idea man. I just opened up all the vents and I can definitely feel a difference with the air moving around in there. The only problem I still have now is my humidity will not go above 22%. I think my fan is sucking all the moisture out of the tent and sending it straight to the attic. Any ideas?

Well if you have the flap open all the moisture is going right out the window with the air. With that small of a space you don't need much exchange, I would crack the flap an incredibly tiny bit if possible and see if that helps. You don't want humidity that low. Prob can get away with it but....

6. Flap open or closed doesn't seem to be making much of a difference in terms of moisture it is kind of just getting sucked out no matter what. I think I really need something to control the speed of my inline fan so that it is not sucking so hard.

7. The temperature is also going up alot with the vents open.

8. what temp is the room that the tent is in?

9. The room is at 70F

10. I'm trying to move the humidifier outside the tent so maybe the tent will suck in some humid air from the room that the tent is in. That's all I can think of right now.

11. The fan is the issue. Sitting humidifier outside tent won't work. Have to get a smaller fan or one that has speeds on it.

12. Okay that's what I assumed. 

Thanks alot man I appreciate it.

13. #13 Reggae420, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
    Do you know any fans that have speed control I can't seem to find one on amazon.

I see all these fan speed controllers but can I use that on any fan??

14. #14 Hypoxic, Feb 16, 2014
    Use a variac variable voltage transformer. They run about $55 from amazon and they are the way to go for fan control, the cheaper ones that look like a model train controller are notorious for burning out inline fans. Like this, I use this exact one but they look sold out ATM, such a nice little piece of equipment to fine tune your fan speed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006NGI8VS

15. Ah that is exactly what i'm looking for. 

Thanks alot I'm gonna go to home depot and see if I can find one and if not i'll get it from amazon.

Thanks again!!

16. If you want to keep the humidity up, vent back into your room instead of into the attic. As long as you can keep your room cool enough you can just recycle the air. This is easy to do in the winter when it cold and dry....in fact you can save on energy by using the light to maintain heat in the room. 

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 Reggae420, Feb 16, 2014
    This is very interesting. I am going to try this out right now.

Okay I just disconnected the duct that went to the attic so the fan is just blowing straight up into the room right now. I'll let you know how it goes in a few minutes after the humidity (hopefully) has time to adjust. 

I thought of something that could possibly be a problem. The bottom zipper on my grow tent is broken and does not zip so that part is wide open and just sucking in air like a huge vent. This could be the problem for the humidity correct??

Thanks again for everyones help!!

18. This worked perfectly. The humidity is now at 25% and still climbing. Thanks alot man I appreciate it. I'm gonna do a full writeup on my grow later today.

19. #20 Reggae420, Feb 16, 2014
    Now that I can get the humidity up what should be my target humidity for the grow room? I have a dial on the humidifier so I can set it to whatever I want. Looking online I am seeing 40%-60% what do you guys think is a solid % to keep it at? Also, my temperature is currently at 86F is that too high or should I be alright with that?