random car talk

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by docleary, Feb 13, 2014.

1. I'm selling a motorcyce on CL and there was a picture of my beater civic hatchback si in the background. The guy buying my bike is a older guy and was like I have one of those with 150,000 miles...great little car. I offered a partial trade for the car and it was his wifes so he asked her and got back at me. I thought it would be a done deal b/c what wife does not want a new car? Well she wants to keep her hatch........:(

2. Your picture tells me your the guy im looking for hahaha. Ive been working on cars all my life now and ive learned the 350 in my '69. c10 Like the back of my hand. But i just bought a '91 turbo 2 with the 13b in it and while i know oil is a crucial prt of the rotary engine, its a whole new concept for me. Any tips or tricks you can pass on to somone who is new to the rotary world?

3. Wow a 91 turbo II you know that's the rarest FC you can get?
    What are your plans does it run?

First thing I'd do if it does run is get a compression test done so you can get an ideals of the condition of the seals.

Rotarys scare people because of all the stories..it comes down to who built it how you drive it and take cares if it.

You have to remember it's a different engine you have to treat it differently.

I recommend you join rx7club forums lots of info and the classifieds are good.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..💨⛽️

4. #1004 Smokin'Sniper, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
    I bought it becuase of all the stories haha. Paid 7000 for it... no keys, previous owner lost them plus i wasnt about to drive it home becuase of all the salt. The mechanic in me is saying all the seals have got to be shot concidering its been sitting in a garage for 3 years straight. Has a holley 4barrel carb on it but its missing 1 of the turbos. Other turbo appears to be original factory. Car is clean. No rust. Everything else appears to be normal but this is the first 13b ive worked on. My cousin had an 83 with a 3 rotor 20a out of i belive a mazda cosmo for a few weeks before he put his head thru the windshield and my aunt made him get rid of it so thats my only rotary experience thusfar. My plans are to bring it back to its glory. I see a good set of brembo brakes in the future and definatly 2 new turbos. Will post pictures of it when it warms up and i can get it out of the little shed im keeping it in atm. Also what do you recommend for exhuast. I have a series 10 flowmaster that was destined for the '69 f100 i was going to originally buy before the rx7 stole my heart. Im guessing that wont do

5. Why did you get rid of your civic if you enjoyed it so much?

6. Haha. I think its going to be hard going to sleep tonight knowing there is a buick regal that pulls more horses than my project truck and my daily driver combined

7. I'm getting rid of a motorcycle. I have owned the civic for 12+ years I was hoping to score a back up car.

8. #1008 invinciblejets, Feb 23, 2015
    Nice! They came with a single turbo 13b.
    Be carful listening to ANY mechanic about rotarys tons of horror stories on rx7club

I recommend you pull the engine rebuild it anyway as that's the best way to ensure life of seals.

Maybe depending on what direction you want to go I recommend you put the fuel injection system back in for more reliable power especially with a turbo.

As for exhaust you have to be very carful rotary exhaust pulses are a lot hotter and stronger than a piston engine where the exhaust pulses are slowed down by the vavletrain.

So they can destroy cheap mufflers and glass packs

I recommend a racing beat system expensive but highly worth it
    Also hks and a few other companies make a cat back system.

Here's a good video comparing the racing beat true dual to the single hks
    It's all about preference really but racing beat has dyno sheets to back up their system

http://youtu.be/ZyYiDNupLdk

9. #1009 invinciblejets, Feb 23, 2015
    Seals could be stuck from sitting have you tried turning it over by hand?? Put some oil in the spark plug holes and turn it over some with out the spark plugs in see if you can hear some compression.

10. #1010 Smokin'Sniper, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
    This is the first car i havnt put a flowmaster on. I got in it after work and just sat inside smoking a blunt thinking how awsome its gonna be when i can finally drive it. Idk what i want to do with it tho. Drifting has always intrested me. I allready have a vehicle that will run 7's all day on the 1/4. My buddy just bought a wrx tho so i kinda want to outrun him. You think this little engine can handle 2 turbos?

11. #1011 mercinariesgtr, Feb 24, 2015
    Im not a big rotary guy but youre probably better off with one appropriately sized turbo. you can prob take the wrx assuming he doesnt go crazy with his build, awd ll prob get you from a dig, being able to wind it out ll help on a roll, wrx dont rev too high. 

Assuming this (below) is what your engine bay looks like, pull that engine and rebuild it for your application. I bet that thing comes out pretty easy. I d kill for room like that, im over here spending an hour getting one banjo fitting in.

[​IMG]

12. That aluminum intake tube should be heat wrapped, otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of taking the time and expense of running the CAI out to fresh air. By the time it hits the intake its all hot from the aluminum heat soak. I had a CAI on my lincoln and I hit the under hood with a thermo laser... It was almost 200F
    Never got around to wrapping my car, but wrapping it, and your exhaust can increase HP by as much as 7-10. 

[​IMG]

13. yah thats not my car as you prob know, i grabbed that off google. My exhaustis wrapped but never thought of doing the intake. I only have about a foot of pipe between my w2a intercooler and the intake. Maybe i could do the pre-intercooler piping though, it does mostly stay on the opposite side of the car from the exhaust and it sucks having to wrestle with peices wrapped in that shit, inevitably you will get itchy/irritated if you have to handle it a bunch.

14. #1014 invinciblejets, Feb 24, 2015
    Fc's are old cars the one you have especially is a collectors item.
    No reason to put a designation on it just drive it.
    Driving a rotary is more than other cars where you just want to go fast or sideways or whatever.
    There's an experience that comes with it...the smell of burnt premix ...satisfying gurgle and ball of fire every time you let off the throttle little things like that make it not matter what your doing its about the experience. Lol I'm nuts...

Anyway a slightly bigger turbo and a street port with supporting mods obviously is always a good simple route.

Good luck tho can't wait too see what you do with the car join rx7club too in telling ya it will help you a lot.

15. #1015 invinciblejets, Feb 24, 2015
    He said his is carbd so imagine that with out the intake manifold and a carb strapped above the turbo lol

Also that ^ fc has no fan shroud.
    New fc owners; Never take off your fan shroud.
    The way the radiator is mounted you need the shroud.. e fan or not.

A huge engine builder out of Vegas (don't want to put his name on this site😝)
    claims almost all engines he's torn down with coolant seal issues on the front iron Had no shroud.
    I tend to trust him plus all the fancy airflow stuff

16. I really need a project to turn wrenches on before I lose my mind from the loneliness and idle hand syndrome I've got going on in my new (and so very empty) apartment.

17. i got a e9 project for you, i posted it a page back or so

18. I wish I could afford an e9, but that chassis is so expensive to buy into. But I did have an s62 e30 four or five years ago. Honestly, too much power for that chassis in my opinion. 225-275hp would be about perfect for my pleasures in an e30.
    Although I wish I still had that engine and transmission kicking around...

19. going to the junk yard today in search of a tail light for my Oldsmobile. i like to walk through junk yards. always have. almost becomes therapeutic in a way.

20. Let the retrofit begin. Morimoto mini d2s 3.0 bixenon projectors, gatlin gun 1.0 shrouds going into some 7x6 sealed beams aka h6054's. I also have some of the morimoto rgb halos for the set up too. It s a bit ricer but instead of doing flatblack housing and chrome shroud i may do flatblack housing with red shrouds..........

Attached Files: