random car talk

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by docleary, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Just picked this baby up a few days ago on eBay. Found a good deal so it was hard to pass up. It's on it's way from Cali so unfortunately I can't put it on for a few weeks as I'll be traveling soon, but I'm pumped to put her on and see what she'll do!

Attached Files:

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fd5DY9gAGI

3. #563 †TheGrow†, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
    do you have all the plumbing,intercooler, manifold, BOV, down pipe, bigger injectors, and someone to tune it? That kit looks like it only comes with the turbo itself and the taps/fittings and waste gate.

4. #564 DBV, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    They're all in the works. This is just the bolt-on turbo kit tomei provides. I've also picked up the future fab custom turbo elbow, down pipe exhaust will be completely v-band custom locally. Piping is custom cxracing piping with drift motion intercooler core, injectors are 550cc Denso's, tuning will be done by lethal injection in Atlanta. Next purchase is an AEM v2 ecu and custom tweak'd performance wiring harness but that won't be until I get back from traveling, but honestly i feel like I'm making good progress so far!

Edit: dyno chart tomes provides is slightly flawed to my setup as I am holding off on pon cams for now.. But should still be an easy 400whp on high-tune.

5. That's good then. a lot of people get in over there heads with turbos, but it seems you have it down. I was building for turbo for awhile too. I was going to run a 62/66 and go for the 600whp range(around 20psi) I ported the head, +1mm valves, cams and gears I didn't pick yet. Bronze valve guides, and the block I was going to sleeve to 84mm and get golden eagle rods. Pistons I didn't figure out either. Plans changed though when I couldn't get it bar'd. So now im looking for a 240z.
    1623794_643457305721083_436798527_n.jpg
    sexy.jpg
    valves.jpg
    crx front.jpg

6. Lol, I know what you mean.. I was initially looking at a precision turbo, but after adding up manifold and all other accessories, the Tomei bolt-on just made sense and will meet my wants even better I think. Still requires extras but it'll be worth it.

Your build looked promising! What was that in? 240z would be legit too. My neighbor has a decent 280z I've been seriously considering asking if he'd sell after my current project.

7. #567 †TheGrow†, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    It was in a 1989 Crx Si. I had it stript and gutted(this picture still has the sound deadening) With me in it the car weighed 1900 pounds. Before I went to build for turbo I had full bolt ons, cam and gears, and with slicks I could run low 11's. Some tracks I would get kicked out because I didn't have a roll cage.  I may have some time slip pics on my old computer. But anyway I really want a 240z. In california they hate car enthusiasts. The smog laws are so strict. But since the 240z is older then 1975, it doesn't need to be smogged. 
    gutted.jpg
    gutted2.jpg

8. Hell yea man. CRX's always reminded me of roller skates but damn they are fast with the right setup. Definitely post pics of the slips and of the 240z if you pick one up! I'd love to see its progress.

9. Love the crx seriously the best handling fwd car.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..💨⛽️

10. 1997 Camry 160k.  So recently the check engine light came on, and the rpm's have been slightly higher than normal. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

11. #571 DBV, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    Your idle air control valve may be clogged or going out.. you can usually clean them out with rubbing alcohol and q tips if it's dirty.

12. #572 invinciblejets, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    Ordered some s4 rx7 lower control arms so I can have a replaceable balljoints rather than the ones molded into the s5 LCA.
    Also got 8 205 60 15s so I can have some fun again with out worring about tires...
    It's nice when your buddy's family owns a junk yard...

13. Slightly. Hopefully completely avoided Lol.

14. Great my radiator has a hairline crack..... ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414674510.389265.jpg

15. #575 docleary, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014

that sucks man.

i sleeved my exhaust so that if it drags, it just pops off and needs to be put back in. only problem is that if you don't ride the high spots on the road with your wheels, there's a 33% chance of the muffler getting disconnected.

16. Have come to conclusion I need to spend money....but not on my rx7...

So I'm gonna buy a daily driver in the next couple months or so..thinking. A subbie wagon or 80s jap mini truck..

17. if you get a mazada b2000 ( or w/e they re called) you could drop that rotary into it then triple or quad rotor your rx7, just some food for thought ..........

I really want to get some HIDs for my car but id have to make em and i just had to spend 2300 on property taxes which BLOWS, almost double what the mr cost me haha so i wont be getting parts for hids for a week or so ...

18. That's what I'm thinking an old b2000...
    I'll prob take insurance and shit of the seven and start getting to work on it.
    But I also might need an automatic 4 door because my girlfriend needs to be able to drive and she's very picky lol.

19. I like to think i'm a Datsun enthusiast so i gotta recommend the 620.

I Just got done installing rear control arms on my Datsun 280z! Handling is finished.  :yay:

20. Love all the datsun trucks just so hard to find in good condition around here.