Car audio thread

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by B33PB33P, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Aw yeah, this is my kinda thread. I've built a shitload of boxes over the years, for myself and friends. I'll throw up the pics that I can find later. 12" Alpine type R, 12" Elemental Design (can't remember the model, something entry level), two 10" Memphis PR's, 12" TC sounds TC-1000, two Mach 5 audio MAW-15s, 10" Boston G5 with passive radiator, JLw3v3, 18" Ascendant Audio Havoc (what a fucking BEAST), 15" Fi Q, Sundown Audio e8... let's see... what else....

2. Ah, my old truck. So many great memories.

[​IMG]

15" Fi Q, 3 cu ft. tuned to 35hz using a 4" precision port flared on both ends and braced. Mounted flush, so it's double baffled.

[​IMG]

Powering it is a Kicker ZX1000.1, birth-sheet reads 1294 watts. Amp rack wrapped in fake leather ("Pleather").

[​IMG]

Unfortunately my babies were stolen from me :(

3. I am just wanting some good speakers for my truck to replace the factory ones.  What do you guys recommend?  Its a 99 tacoma extended cab.

4. Found some pics of a box I built for a friend of mine. 2 12" JL W6v2's. Flared port :devious:

0122111544.jpg 0129111255.jpg 0129111653.jpg 0129111655.jpg 0129111739.jpg 0202111828.jpg 0212111359.jpg 0219111846.jpg 0223111815.jpg IMG00006-20110301-0024.jpg

I just tell people it's magic.

Instead of pointlessly bumping this thread I might as well contribute.

Pretty much anything would be better than your stock speakers. First of all, how much are you wanting to spend? Unless you plan on getting an amp, I'd just go with a low end 2-way coaxial. Stay away from 3-way speakers, the "micro-tweeter" is worthless. I say low end because there's no point in getting an expensive 100w speaker if you're gonna power it with the maybe 10-15w your stock radio has.

7. People who dont have subs and love music are missing out IMO.

I will post a pic of my set-up eventually.....Ive got 2-12s....... MTX Thunder 8000s ive had for over 8 years and still works like the day I bought it. Glad I found this thread....im not into it as much as I once was but damn...Subs were huge in HS lol seem liked everybody was bumpin.

I've been sitting some 12" shallow mounts for my truck for years. I bought them before I had a truck to put them in, lol.

I hear ya about high school. Buildin sub boxes in wood shop, that's where it all started. I got tired of rich kids thinkin they're hot shit because they spent thousands on their system. Fuck it, I'll do it myself and save some money. I throw like $600 bucks in my POS truck and you can feel me from a block away.

I'm shootin for SQ rather than SPL these days...

9. #50 Cloudz, May 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2014

Thats whats up....yeah I took regular woodworking and advanced in HS. Good times!

My friend had 2-15s in his little Ford Ranger....and when he uest to pick me up for school it really felt I could hear n feel him from a quarter mile away.....id be in the driveway before he even pulled up lol

Then this other guy had 4-15s of the Thunder 8000s in the back of a Blazer .....which convinced me to buy his version in the 12s. Bass is nice.....but I like quality too.

I've had plenty of fun with my 15 in my old truck. Obnoxious subs are fun, but at this point i'm kinda concerned about my hearing, lol. It's time to turn it down a bit and actually hear the song.

11. Subs do damage your hearing, but it won't affect you at all in a normal environment because it only damages hearing in very low frequencys.

Sent from my HTC One

12. #53 Cloudz, May 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2014

Yeah im gettin to the point where I wanna downgrade but I feel like I wont get the value I think they're worth....so I just keep bumpin lol My friend cracks me up when he rides w me....hes always sayin "Man its like im gettin a back massage in here"

I would be good with just 1-10inch w a solid amp. A good amps where its at tho IMO

13. Glad to see some nice craftsmanship. I need to finally plan a system for my galaxie. Will be fairly low key, 3 or 4 10s across the rear deck sealed from the trunk. Not sure I'll ever go more then a real 2kw again and 1/3 of it will be on the mid bass/mid range. Surprised to see quite a number of legit audio folks here.

14. I would look into sundown sa 8s they are ridiculous for 8 inch drivers 600plus rms easy

Sent from my HTC One

That's a relief. Good thing I always had shitty door speakers, lol.

16. I thought their 8 used a different motor and coil size. I can probably fit 12s in the rear deck but 10s will work. The SA's are high on the list though

17. Anyone here have an account over at caraudio.com/forum?

18. If I ever do downgrade......ive always had my eyes on Diamond audio. My friend had 1-10 and it harder that most 12s n 15s ive heard. I couldnt belive it. Then it got stolen soon as he went out of town....smh

19. I do my account is n3w_3ra