The Need to Succeed....My Hydroponic Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by FUBAR2208, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Alright....so...this is my second attempt

I'm growing in a locker/stealth hydro thing

No dirt, pure hydro...yes i know i should've done it in dirt first...but this is the future right?

These are two different plants and honestly I have no idea what they are....which i know doesn't help...but I am trying to just get the basics down first

I don't know what these are because i ordered seeds and this is out of the "10 free" they give you when you buy seeds.....so im doing my trial and error with the free ones first before i use my "good" ones.

Probably shitty genetics and all of that.....again, I'm just trying to get the basics down...have a start to finish grow I can call a success....maybe not a great huge success lol....but success none the less.

I am honestly just "winging" it....i've read lots of stuff but please have patience and help me out haha...please?

Jan 29

2014-01-29 14.44.01.jpg

2014-01-29 14.43.16.jpg

2014-01-29 14.42.28.jpg

2014-01-29 14.42.14.jpg

2014-01-29 14.41.55.jpg

2014-01-29 14.41.31.jpg

Feb 1st

2014-02-01 09.13.11.jpg

2014-02-01 09.13.19.jpg

2014-02-01 09.13.06.jpg

2014-02-01 09.12.40.jpg

2014-02-01 09.12.21.jpg

Feb 2nd

2014-02-02 10.46.44.jpg

2014-02-02 10.46.17.jpg

Feb 6th

2014-02-06 09.44.10.jpg

2014-02-06 09.44.03.jpg

2014-02-06 09.43.52.jpg

2014-02-06 09.43.43.jpg

Feb 8th

2014-02-08 08.09.50.jpg

2014-02-08 08.09.22.jpg

2014-02-08 08.09.13.jpg

2014-02-08 08.10.08.jpg

2014-02-08 08.10.13.jpg

Feb 10th

Should i do something with this plant? It seems outta control...yea, no? 2014-02-10 08.53.35.jpg

2014-02-10 08.53.48.jpg

2014-02-10 08.54.06.jpg

2014-02-10 08.54.11.jpg

I'm guessing this one didn't take the nutrients well? 2014-02-10 08.54.19.jpg

Again I do not know what I should be doing....any help would be greatly appreciated

Im trying to think of normal questions.....my water temp is at 70, ppm right now is at 190 and my pH is at 6

Lights are LED, I have them on 24/7....i got a little fan in there....

Again...please let me know what should be better/different....should i be trimming the plants or doing anything? 

Just let 'em ride?

Thanks folks,

FUBAR

2. Keep it simple!  There is less to go wrong. 

I grow in diy bubble buckets without a res.  Each bucket gets watered from a bucket of nutes with a large mug every day, as needed.  I do each bucket separately to avoid cross contamination and to give different strains the individual care they require.  I check the ppm and ph by sucking a little water out with a large syringe with a piece of air tubing on it.  I suck it out through a 7/16" hole I drilled in the edge of the lid with a built in net pot.  The air line goes in to the bucket through another hole in the edge of the lid too.  

I root cuttings in a home made bubble bucket cloner with EZ Clone neoprene cloning discs.  I get nearly 100% rooted within 10 days.  Pictured below.

I have recently begun to start my seeds directly in Hydroton with 100% success to date.  I make a bed of some of the smaller pellets on the bottom of a depression in the Hydroton so the seed doesn't drop too far and put the seed on it and cover it with a single layer of small pellets.  I fill the bucket with water up to about an inch and a half below the seed and spray water on them a couple of times a day until they are up.  Pictured below.

Don't assume the free seeds are shit seeds.  They may not be!  I got a Reserva Privada O.G. Kush $18 seed as a freebee, twice.  And I've gotten several other good seeds as free extras too.

I would let your plants go for a while longer before doing very much training.  You can pull a bud down under a string to another hole in your net anytime it is big enough to do it.  And I would make a net with more smaller holes in it.

All in all you're looking good.  Keep it up!  I learned by doing.  Made a lot of mistakes.  Still do.  I know I could get bigger harvests but since I started growing indoors under lights in DWC I haven't run out of really good bud!

Attached Files:

3. Thanks for the reply OldPothead I feel a  better now.

I have to ask about the clones

First, approx. how much longer ... or how much bigger would you suggest these plants get until I take a clone?

Second, pure hyrdoton? Im interested in this...im using rockwool in hydroton and I hate it lol....I will be trying this if these plants are either male and/or i fail to grow a proper clone....but I see the clone when straight in too? so just make sure it's long enough to make it all the way way through?

It handles the pure water alright?

With these free seeds....hopefully with just what I got now....I'd like to start and finish....but getting a successful clone would be great

Third, how big should the netting holes be?

Thanks,

FUBAR

4. looks good except for that last plant. looks like your ph is way off and it has nuteburn.

5. I take cuttings from the side branches near the bottom of the plant when ever they are big enough to.  Usually I cut one that is about 4 or 5 inches long and trim it down as needed.

I don't understand your second question.  I seed in Hydroton in 2" net pots.  I clone in EZ Clone type neoprene cloning discs.

I start seeds and clone in the water that comes from my well without treatment or additives.

I think a 3" hole is about right.

Good luck!

6. phosphorus deficient. interesting, don't usually see this. anyways, easy fix. make sure its not your ph, first though. common mistake for a lot of people is seeing an issue with their plant and immediately writing it off as burn or deficient, they add/dilute nutrients like they think they should and problem worsens. otherwise they look ok

What do i do about a phosphorus deficiency ?

8. NPK... second number is phosphorus. a nute with a high P number will fix that. but you really need to check your ph first. it's way off. like i said. note the leaves that are twisting, that is due to ph. and the leaf tips that are burnt, that is nute burn. your ph is off and you have nute lockout. i wouldn't add anything until i checked the ph and got that squared away.

pH is at 6 right now

Alright....so should my pH go up or down? Down im assuming?

And then how do i safely bring the pH down?  Just add pH adjusted R.O. water only for a few days?

Or should i put some pH down right into the reservoir?

Thanks for the replies...this is helping and making more sense.

FUBAR

10. If it is at 6 leave it alone.

6 is ok your target is 5.7-5.8 but .4 ponits in either direction is fine.
    you shouldn't use ph adjusters. the best thing to adjust your ph in hydro is benificials to stabalize the water and a good micro nutrient. i use liquid karma to adjust mine. if the ph is high i know to add a bit of nutes and it levels out.try to stay away from anything chemical. even the adjusters.

I'm using Technaflora nutes.....is this wrong?

If not, what of theirs can i use?

If so....what should i be using?

Thanks,

FUBAR

13. Feb 12th

FUBAR

Attached Files:

I would use anything organic. water soluble.

15. This is just my feelings about this subject.  Organic is the best way to go in soil, especially outdoors.  But in hydro or aero there are nutes that are in the form a plant can take them up and use as well as it is possible for a plant to take up nutes and use them.  In fact many non organic nutes are more easily and efficiently taken up and used by plants than are most so called "organic" nutes for hydro systems.

16. Im not knocking anybody else's choice, I'm just saying after 9 yrs working with rdwc I know what I like. Results, time involved, and my laziness are a huge factor in why I like organic over chems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. #17 FUBAR2208, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
    Okay...I'll end up trying both nutes....I truly appreciate your guy's input and patience dealing with my ignorance lol

But....New problem...plants seem to be growing fine....but now....

I can't keep pH up...it's at 4

I just replaced half my reservoir with like 9pH r.o. water....brought it up to 5.4....but in the same day....it's back to 4

What's going on?

After the water change they look sad and over watered but again...low ass pH...I was at 6

So because they look sad, I've dumped 75% of the reservoir to let the roots breath and then I'm going to put more unadjusted r.o. water in there

My ppm is 60 lol....I'm just trying to save these plants

My roots are filling this container....how full should my reservoir be?

Please help,
    FUBAR

FUBAR

Attached Files:

18. #18 FUBAR2208, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
    My roots are filling this container....how full should my reservoir be?

A little brown? Okay not okay...?

FUBAR

Attached Files:

19. I don't use a reservoir.  I fill each bucket individually with a large mug from a bucket of nute solution.  Every day I fill it up to the bottom of the net pot, after checking the ph and ppm.

20. Well fellas....

What now?

These look alright?

Should I be trimming or anything?

When can I tell male or female?

Can I take a clone yet?

Let me know.

Thanks,
    FUBAR

FUBAR

Attached Files: