thomasjeffersons veranda

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by donothinggardening, Feb 10, 2014.

1. #1181 DeadLeaf, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    I feel ya on that! lol
    My four LemonChem started in a shot glass of plain tap water and when I planted them I put them in a mix of this VirmiWorm EWC, promix, and a little VAM and you seen how well they did!? lol

Oh and I had mixed it the day I dropped them in! ;)

2. Yeah dude KIS, FTW! Lol. That's what I did last time too. Sunshine mix and ewc. This was my first time using totally home-mixed stuff to start canna seeds... no sunshine mix. So I let it sit for a little bit and it seems to have worked very well! No pre-soaking or any of that stuff.. just used a screwdriver to poke a hole about the depth of two seeds and drop 'er in.

3. Yea, I have noticed a huge difference in seedling growth using just vermi compost, peat and some lava.

4. #1184 ChefZiggy, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
    For science!

I have started all of my seeds so far either directly in pots of my soil mix (autos) or in mini hempys using some of my soil mix. (Cycled first, of course.)

100% success rate so far. (About 16 beans.) Killed several sprouts though.

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.

5. My mom lived in a house that was completely wind and solar powered, and had composting toilets, and was built from reclaimed wood, back in 1964 while working at Berkeley extracting pollen from fossils.  Does that count as an earth-ship? lol

6. I think so! Lol

7. Life is good...

....pass it on!!

8. Sure should.

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.

9. Aaaaand what's Mr. MFJefferson2 been up to lately?
    Good things I hope mhm good things that grow.. :unsure:

10. #1190 donothinggardening, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    Yo, leaf! :wave:

I just got back home from a long weekend outta town. Some interesting findings from my seedling experiment! The seedlings haven't had any water for 5 days! Needless to say, there is mass wilting, and probably some death. I actually expected all of them to die, but we have a few survivors.. and some of them not only survived, but seem to have thrived! Even in 95 F heat! :eek:

Conclusions:

1) I am officially sold on the biochar from buildasoil. All of the seedlings in biochar mixes look great. The char has obviously helped in retaining water.

2) The Worm Power vermicompost seems to have come out on top over it's competitor... by a long shot. Higher germination rate and survival rate even in high-heat, drought conditions. The 99% pure, grain fed worm castings that I bought at the local farmer's market from Wormie's Earth Farm did not perform nearly as well with the exact same potting soil recipes..

3) Buckwheat hulls aerate really well; so well in fact that the soils with buckwheat hulls did the worst job of handling drought because of reduced water retention.

4) The best looking container in the tent is a mix with bas biochar, worm power vc, and is fully amended.. maybe even heavily amended for every cubic foot it had

1/2 cup karanja cake
    1/2 cup neem cake
    1/2 cup kelp meal
    1/2 cup crab/shrimp meal
    1/2 cup fish bone meal
    1/4 cup alfalfa meal
    1/4 cup comfrey meal
    1 cup oyster
    1 cup gypsum
    4 cups rock dust

The comfrey meal and alfalfa meal were used to make a tea and I used this to "precharge" my biochar.

This mix composted for about 5 weeks before use.

The simpler mix did not do as well as this one... at least in surviving the drought. I had high germination with the simple mix, though and I am sure they would have done well had they gotten some water.

All in all it was a fun experiment! But now I must forge on and fix this temp problem.... I am contemplating buying a 6" exhaust fan and a ventilated reflector for my light. I think that will fix the temp problem, but will add to my noise problem.. hmmmmm.... :bongin:

Hope erryone is doing well tonight :wave:

Attached Files:

12. Alright!! :D
    Good to see you back and taking control of that grow my friend! Getty up!! lol

I myself have been blown away by these LemonChem babies so far, as you know! Could be the real deal as far as one timers I think. Pretty much like getting complimentary fem for my troubles. lol

13. Yo, what up TJ! Great news to hear about all your experiments. I am still waiting on my bio char from BaS :( that's cool/crazy that the fully amended mix did better then the simple mix. I seem to be having the opposite affect. However, my babies would NOT have survived 5 days. 3 days and they are falling over. Also, I put sip buckets under all my smart pots. A 3 gallon bowl full of perlite and full of water is almost dry in 24 hrs. Crazy, I am dealing with high heat though as well.

14. #1194 over dere, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

Nice mix!!!

CC

15. Psssst... It's the 1st of the month...
    ....just saying!

16. Hey folks, I need advice.. any recommendations as far as 6" air cooled hoods? This light is a 400w with a dimmable, switchable ballast. And exhaust fans.. I need anudder one to exhaust the heat from that light.. any suggestions? Thanks! :D I'm gettin sorta ancy to get this fookin show on the road. Popped 15 more bagseeds... this time I'm lookin at black owl biochar... :D

17. Are you gonna order or go in store?

18. Dunno... :blink:

19. Well.. lol if you go in you can save a buck I think and really look at it before you leave. No matter what you want a reflector that has strong points of connection so they don't break when you move it around or hang it. And most important I think is proper seal around the welds, seams and the glass. If you get cheap, you run a risk of compromising all these. Most reflectors reflect light pretty evenly I think. Mine are bad ass! ;)
    Fans...by the best and they will last.