thomasjeffersons veranda

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by donothinggardening, Feb 10, 2014.

It isn't easy to sex them before they flower but you can make some pretty accurate assumptions based on structure of the plant. For males, they will show some little 'bumps' at the leaf/stem connection.

[​IMG]

Males are usually tall and lanky looking too.

[​IMG]

2. Take clones asap. The longer they are in flower the harder it will be to root/reveg them. While rooting, keep them on at least 18/6 or longer. 24/0 won't hurt.

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.

3. Yup^^ DL's answer fa sho. Last run I was lucky and they started showing sex in veg at about week 4-5. I think it helps if the plants are semi-rootbound lol. And thanks for checkin out my grow :wave:

TJ

4. Thanks pak, and chef! I have one that's real lanky. I looked and it looks like a male. It's jus got single leaves stickin out, not like that pic on yours chef. So, I guess it may be male. How long can you go without risking the others? I'd like to make sure it's male.. Kind of experimenting with the one I thought was male. I got it to four tops.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

5. It's good to have you back man. That positive attitude is always welcome around here :D how's the organic soil coming along? Are ya liking it?

Lol yea it had a coupla stagnant months there. Hopefully I can keep it rockin all winter long though :D then outdoor in the summertime :metal:

TJ

6. You can have it around till the pollen sacks start to swell...when they do, you will be in trouble shortly after :)
    I allways pluck them straight away.

Once you see the differnce between a male and female, you will know within a second of looking in the future.

Chef.

Headchefs indoor and outdoor adventures! - http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1289059-

7. Hehehe.. my new nick name for this thread is "Tommy's V" :lol: everyone is all up in Tommy's V! LOL see, works great!

:) yeah tom, makes sense to me.. plants will be quick to show sex if they stress a little. I always introduce a little more dark time or work with the plants outside the grow room if they don't want to show sex. They start acting like.. "wait wait, don't take away my light...here, there, I'm a bitch! Ya happy now?" LOL

8. I'm loving not having to deal with nutes! My last batch of soil was a little weak though so I gotta make a few changes. My first mix worked amazingly though, probably just gonna stick with that

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Lol! Thanks for posting that, dude. I knew that I had seen this before. Hard to believe that it's been almost a full year since I started that journal on LOS :eek:

TJ

10. I think Pakalolo gave you a great answer here :D one thing I might do is quarantine the plant if you can and then give it several spray downs with various IPM sprays just in case.

I actually had the exact same thought regarding the cuttings being stressed into producing male flowers during a re-veg. I was wondering, would you root the cutting under 18/6? Or would you root it under 12/12, then once it is rooted begin the re-veg process? I guess I should try my hand at cloning these plants that I have now rather than waiting until they start flowering. Faster roots are always good! :D

TJ

I rooted the flowering male plants under 18/6 without any problems. I won't go 12/12 because the tells them it's time to flower. You could go 24/0 if you wanted.

12. I was going to say the same thing. Once you see the balls on one...

Hey Chef!B)

Sent from Chefziggy's Kitchen

13. TJ, i'm finally sub'd.

14. Hey buddy :wave: glad to have ya :)

TJ

15. Bout time fickay! You just wanted to wait to sub up cause you didnt want to look at mylar the whole time with no green :p

16. #1757 BrassNwood, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    I usually take my cutting from as big a veg stage plant as my boxes can turn out.. I take the lowest branch or 2 off a plant that is about to be flipped to outside.. My version of 12-12.. I'll section that branch into smaller pieces consisting of a single trimmed down leaf and 3 finger worth of stem.. I can usually get about 3 cuttings from a lower branch off a 2 ft tall veg plant.. The normal scrape a spot on the lower 1/2 inch till some white is showing, dip in cloning booster of your choice and plant in your pick of support material.. I use 1 inch rock wool cubes and pack the stem tightly into the cube with scraps of wool and a small probe.. A nail to be precise until you can lift the whole by the cutting without the cutting pulling out of the cube..
      Taking a flowering cutting requires a bit more trimming.. While you can get a budded top to root the resulting multi headed clone will either need additional cleaning up at some point or just let go wild.. I personally don't like the messy topped result.. Instead when I take the cutting I'll clean off all trace of budding leaving as close to a single or pair of trimmed fans and a short stem as I can get with my smallest and finest set of scissors.. In either case I've never seen them produce any male body parts.. The budded ones just change back to veg and take off.. It does take some additional time and expect a higher then normal number of losses.. Some cuttings will almost make it.. They will even put down some roots but not have enough reserves to complete the job so take extras..
      My cloner runs 24-0 as do my veg boxes.. The one drawback is trying to step a 24-0 plant back to anything less makes the young clone try and flower.. If your veg is 18-6 clone under that..

Cloner with the lid off.. Clones like it humid but not wet.. Spray the dome all you want but avoid actually spraying the cuttings..

[​IMG]
      Center back row are some budded headed flowering cutting as I did some both ways this time it being farther in flower then I usually try and take.. This plant showed such pink budding that I had to try and clone her..
    Out of this tray of 50 around 45 will usually take when they come from all veg stage plants.. 35 or 40 with so many coming from flowering is my expected finish..

17. you still growing weed or what?

:poke: