thomasjeffersons veranda

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by donothinggardening, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Thanks man! I'm glad pharmer was around to help me out :) this thing is sweet!

Hey chef! Yahh buddy i'm stoked for this thing! Been wanting to try LED for a long time. :D

2. #3702 donothinggardening, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
    Hey D_Urbmon! Glad to have ya man! Ohh man what a question :p

I have been itching to try an LED light for a long time. Had some money burning a hole in my pocket and made the leap. You're definitely right-- there are many different choices when it comes to lighting and every company thinks that they have the best light. LED technology is advancing very quickly and surely the lights that come out in the coming years are going to be even more powerful and efficient.

The blade xxpHarmerLEDxx helped me wade thru some of the info and pointed me toward amare tech, which I am very grateful for.

I am very happy with this light and excited to get started with it. I have no doubt that it is going to outperform my 400w HID while creating less heat, which was my main problem with my current light setup--I couldn't run it in the summer time as it would get way too hot in my space. Even now my temps are starting to creep into the 80's.

This light uses Cree COB (chip on board) LED's-- the yellow looking deals underneathe the bulbous convex lenses--which put out a powerful white light. I'm a big supporter of the idea of using white LED vs just red and blue like many of the led companies are putting out. Just makes more sense to try to cover the whole spectrum of light rather than targeting the PAR peaks in the red/blue spectrums. This light covers everything from IR to UVB and is designed to mimic the spectrum put out by the sun.

COB is nothing new. Just a method of housing the diodes so that heat is more easily dissapated vs the typical SMD (surface mounted diode) setup. Cree is the leading manufacturer of LED components and their products are of the highest quality available.

This light is really high intensity, putting out 1861 μmol/m2/sec at 12". There are not many others out there that put out this kind of intensity for this price right now, from what I've seen. California Light Works' SolarStorm models are up there too.

In the future, i'm sure we will start seeing more MCOB lights (multiple chips on board) and MCCOB lights (multiple chips and cups on board). Allot of the issue with learning about LED's is all of the terminology involved lol. I spent some time reading up on it and the info is a bit mind-boggling lol. This was probably more of an answer than you bargained for :lol:

Anyway, I liked the price, the setup and am damned excited to watch it grow :metal: probably could have just said that :p

This link here explains COB better than I could without getting too technical:

http://ledlights-reviews.com/led-lighting-evolution

3. I consider pharmer to be THE LED master.

Fwiw.
    ~ poke

4. It was more of an answer than I was expecting that's for sure but a great answer none the less!

I, like you am very interested in LED.  I'm a firm believer and I recently bought myself a Mars Hydro unit.  I'm all ears and eyes as to these other units.  Just dreaming of what type of unit my next purchase will be. :)

5. #3705 donothinggardening, Mar 6, 2015
    Agreed! :metal: your grow and snoopdogg's also were a big motivator for me to make the leap to LED :)

Hell yeah man! I think you'll like the mars-hydro light. Seen a lot of badass grows on here with those. :D

This little guide might help ya in choosing LED lights. It's already outdated, but great info nonetheless:

http://ledlights-reviews.com/how-to-select-the-best-led-grow-light

6. I appreciate that bro! Im sure snoop does as well!

I was sure if snoop and i took the leap first others would follow. LEDs boggle my mind. The technology is simply unbelievable, even when you look at the health of plants the mind cant accept it. Dont ask me why, maybe its years of my own propaganda haha
    ~ poke

7. Man im gonna pull up a chair in here. I feel there is quite a bit i can learn in this and more to come.
    I myself use dwc. But im very interested in organic as well. I havent been able to start anything organic yet as im still trying to learn a little about it.

Nice light by the way man. Im going to watch yours before i make the decision to throw the money into it though.

8. I need to read that!

Im afraid if i shove anymore in my brain im gonna shove something else out :lol:
    ~ poke

9. Lol, your too kind brother!

TJ, from what I've read. The COBs actually run a bit hotter due to having a less chip to surface area to dissipate the heat. Which is why the Eclipse is the size and weight she is due to the upgraded heatsinks to manage the heat accordingly. This way she still runs as cool as the 3w or 6w designs of the SolarSPECs. My Eclipse should be here today or tomorrow, gonna be doing a lot of testing as I have quite a few questions about these Cree COBs.

Another member on here switched from using the SolarStorm to the SS260 and loved the improvement & penetration capabilities! Based on overall light performance, cost of the light, then wattage needed to produce that performance. I haven't found a company that can rival Amare yet! Companies that come close would be Budmaster & HGL then Advanced then Lumigrow however their price range & wattage needed to get the same results is still ridiculous!!! With Advanced and Lumigrow, your looking at 2x the wattage to produce the same effects! Budmasters site is just so full of BS and claims, but that's enough for my rant sorry TJ! xD

10. #3711 donothinggardening, Mar 6, 2015
    Haha yeah dude having two experienced growers such as yourselves raving about the LED's definitely helped :) it's a revolution! Lol

Welcome dude! I don't discriminate DWC, organic, all's good. Glad to have you along!!
    Lol I hear ya man. I was up till 4am last night reading shit :laughing:

Dude rant away! Your brain is an awesome one to pick! I have never heard of those brands! Lol. The spec sheet on the solar storm 440 says that it puts out 2570 μmols/m2/sec (wow had some dyslexia there at first lol) at 12" and 350w so that made me think that it was mo powerful :blink: still learning lol.. keep talking man!! Haha

Definitely looking forward to the day when the solar specs are IP65 or higher :metal:

Man, I'm excited for you to get your light as well :D you're gonna love it :cool:

11. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! I need a link, have to see this one! This RIGHT HERE is a fine example of the biggest problem I have with companies! On the website for the SolarStorm-440:

http://californialightworks.com/product/solar-storm-440/

You have to download the Spec sheet at the bottom, after you download it you can scan over to the right and it shows the PAR. 2570umol@12", 1389umol@18", & 832umol@24". Hahaha! Now if you go to this site you will see they did a test of the model above the 440, the 800 model.

http://growershouse.com/blog/california-light-works-solar-storm-800w-led-grow-light-par-and-footprint-review/

The 800 model was only pushing 1942umol@12", 1265umol@18", & 857umol@24". So to expect the 440 to be putting out not only what it claims on the website but a crazy 3000umol+.

Hahahahahahahaha!

12. I edited my post a little bit ago because I was being dyslexic lol. Didn't translate the numbers correctly lol. 2570, not 3750 :rolleyes: hehe

13. Ahh ok caught your edit there! But still even with those numbers you can still see the inadequacies.

14. Yeah that is pretty weird that they are putting out reports like that on their lights only to have growershouse find totally different results lol.

15. Does Solar Spec have a website yet? Pretty interested in TJ's new light with the dome COB's.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Yee bruvva

www.amaretechnologies.com

17. I wish I was a headlight, on a North bound train
    I'd shine my light through the cool Colorado rain

18. I'm using the solar flare 220 watt full cycle led in my journal below. I absolutely love it. The nodes are right on top of each other. Also the penetration rate is great. Only problem is they are expensive to purchase. I definitely plan on getting the solar storm 440 watt in the future.

Let's Smoke About It....
    - Adam Demamp

Organic Grow Journal
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1357687-Sade's-Solar-Adventures

19. Whats up TJ and Grass City Folk la hierba esta Buena..

was wondering where I could find the best CO seed bank