Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question about zippos vs bic

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by porschetarbo, Feb 9, 2014.

1. i use hemp rope. not only bcuz i like the fact im "smoking weed with weed!" but it helps save lighters by cutting down on fuel burning. 

2. Trendy?
    It's caught on because it's more efficient and therefore more advantageous. You'd go through so many lighters than with some wick that could last you months at a time. I don't even use bics anymore. I just light up a scented candle and use that for my wick whenever I want. 

3. It's fun because it adds a whole new level of snobbery to getting high :p

4. Zippos smell and taste nasty.

5. #26 porschetarbo, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
    Ok,

Excellent info. HOWEVER, I thought torch lighters weren't good for lighting bowls though? Because everybody says they burn way too hot and wastes weed? However you seem to find it good? I will have hemp wick for home.

But for the road.....

Basically the options for a refillable lighter are:

torch lighter that uses butane gas
    yellow flame lighter that uses butane gas

Or, non refillable:
    Disposable bic yellow flame uses butane gas (not refillable)

Everyone recommends a bic because it has a yellow flame, and because it uses butane gas (doesn't have bad taste as lighter fluid)

So my best bet is to just get a Bic style lighter that is refillable (any yellow flame refillable lighter that uses butane gas)?

Or should I get a refillable torch lighter that uses butane gas?

Many thanks to anyone who can comment and advice!! I'm sick of buying expensive disposable bics at the gas station that hardly lasts. Help me pick a lighter guys!

6. took the words right out of my mouth. Never use zippos for bowls, nasty and terrible for ya. Get an herbiron, safest way to smoke

7. Easier to light a bowl with matches then it is to use a zippo!

8. I disagree with you on that, bics get blown out easily, my Zippo is waaaay windproof, can easily light it up in a windy storm and shake that thing back and it won't go out. Can't light a bic on the chairlift while snowboarding without a bunch of cover. Can hold my hand out into the wind and still light my Zippo fine.

But don't use em for bowls.

9. The sell 6 or 7 packs of bics at Walmart for like 5 bucks. If that's to expensive then how the fuck are you buying weed. I just bought two of those so had like 14 lighters and it last me months....

10. #31 porschetarbo, Feb 12, 2014
    True, but I'm tired of bics and want a refillable lighter as that will probably save more money than disposable bics...I'm not sure though. Can anyone comment?

Thinking of getting the two in one torch AND flame pen on ebay for 5 bucks. It is for "WELDING" though so dunno how that will work LOL. I'm worried it is too much of a hassle to use/turn on/off.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Jet-Flame-Pencil-Butane-Gas-Refillable-Lighter-Torch-Fuel-Welding-Soldering-Pen-/290923926954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bc6ad5aa&_uhb=1

or I may get the regular yellow flame butane gas refillable bullet style lighter for 3 bucks

Fuck yea, that just made my shopping list

12. The jet flame normal flame pen?

or the bullet?

still not sure if the jet flame will even come in handy for bowls, and seems too weak for dabbing. It'll only be good for jays probably.

13. The pen looks cool as fuck.

I'm tellin ya bro, I've been using my torch for 4 months and I roast bowls nonstop. Never going back to regular lighters. I get nice full hits, flame goes where you want it even in wind, tastes better, corner bowls easily... it's all I use anymore.

14. #35 porschetarbo, Feb 12, 2014
    Some people say jet flames burn too hot, and more THC is wasted than with a regular flame.

Do you keep the jet on or quickly light then remove? Any negative taste?

I might get a pen.

15. #36 Thicken Dense, Feb 12, 2014

It lights a cherry much quicker than a regular flame IF you try to use it like a bic. When you get the hang of it you can lightly toast a layer of hash or go full-on lung-splitter. Either way it takes less time to light than a bic but it can be just as efficient when you get used to it, I don't think I'm wasting anything, especially when I cap my bho-topped bowls to put them out... one bowl can last for hours.

16. #37 porschetarbo, Feb 12, 2014
    Just ordered a pen, your review made me think much higher of jet flame lighters....

Having never owned one, and having only smoked about 4 bowls out of one in my life (that i remember), I am most excited :hello:  :bongin:  :bongin:

HOWEVER, 

I am worried I will get super baked....maybe dabbed...and then drop/forget about the pen and burn the whole house down?! Because there is an on/off button, then you have to ignite it and it STAYS ON. It only turns off when you turn it to off or turn the dial down. It was meant for working/welding/fixing.

I will have to discipline myself

17. #38 porschetarbo, Feb 12, 2014
    Would you recommend jet flame or yellow flame for lighting hemp wick?

Between the choices for yellow flame, a zippo or butane gas lighter would work better?

same end result, but there is always the best way to do things

18. Doesn't matter, I like the scented candle idea

19. Well I've never consistently used a refillable butane torch lighter. But I have a small flamed torch that isn't much bigger than the ones your posting that I use for dabbling and smoking bowls and I go through about $30+ a month on butane. You wouldn't use as much but still something to consider. You go through butane way quicker with a torch lighter over a regular bic