good longboards?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by davida0829, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Sorry to nitpick, but this is the worst argument i always hear and makes you sound like you've never skated before!

I don't longboard only use skate boards and i have no idea what you're talking about. Just get some bigger wheels, around 56's-60's and you're golden. And i'd say the fastest i've gone down a hill is 40-45 miles an hour. BIG hills though. very, very steep. And if you want to go faster just cruising down the street, just push more! That's what i do, just lots of powerful pushes. I can almost guarantee i skate faster on average then most long boarders in my area (so cal). 

Sorry, just a little rant i wanted to get out of the way. 

Been skating longer than you've been alive. And been strictly downhill skating and freeriding since 07.

So I'll try to put this in a way you may understand considering you seem ignorant about the downhill scene.

Your idea of big hills is likely YOUR idea of big. Which in the DH world would probably be what we'd call a slide hill. Steep, straight, and short. It seems you know nothing of actual downhill skating, so I'll do my best to speak in terms you'll understand.

Like most skateboarders your idea of going down a hill likely means bombing in a straight line down a semi steep small hill. Other wise you'd be dead by now.

This is what most skateboarders think going down hills looks like. Straight line down a short hill. Lol... nope that's bombing a hill. I had to laugh tha this made it onto Thrashers page, and these gusy thinkt hey are going fast! Lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbHdl56IGno

Now, here's a video of a pro downhill skater going that fast on hard wheels on a some real hills, with curves. It was done to show how sketchy it is, and well for fun. Watch how little traction and control he has on hard wheels. Look how much material shreds off his wheels when he ices out around curves.I take it this isn't you...But I would love to see you hit a canyon like this, you'd likely go off a cliff when you hit the first curve.

http://vimeo.com/98101165

Now, small wheels accelerate slightly quicker, but don't hold speed nearly as well as a large diameter wheel. They are also much more likely to stall on rocks and debris. There is a reason downhill skaters typically use 70mm + wheels. When you are actually going that fast, you do not want to get launched off your board. Soft wheels also go faster on pavement. I'd love to describe the physics of it, but I'm no physics professor, and the fact is it's well known. I didn't pull this shit out of my ass. It is the way it is. Thousands upon thousands of downhill skaters aren't wrong.

This is what downhill skating looks like on large soft wheels. Notice the amount of control this dude (Liam Morgan) has compared to the other video. NOtice how much smoother this run looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoSytu10q_E

Bottom line, you're not going faster than real most longboarders bud. Maybe the local kooks in your neighborhood.

You just have little exposure to the actual scene. And you clearly only know about your small corner of skateboarding.

So, sorry to nitpick, but you don't know dick, and you're talking out of your ass. Just a long rant I had to get out of the way.

3. No need for a wheel lecture, I know exactly what wheels are appropriate for which terrain and how you want to ride that terrain. I just dumbed it down because i hear that complaint a lot and a lot of those complaining are riding 51's. Generalizing, big wheels= more speed. 

First video was pretty sick, i could honestly probably do that and go that fast with the high speed power slides. Looks like a crazy hill though. Second video, cool too, although it's not too aesthetically pleasing to me. Just my opinion. 

And you're right. i'm not big into the downhill scene. 

And it's not just my neighborhood, all over southern california there are "boarders" who push mongo and cruise a mile an hour looking like they're just trying to hang on. My comment was more directed at people who are just starting to skate and then blame random things on their setup when in actuality it's their skill level. Like the quote i was responding to, that screams "i barely know how to skate" because any true skater would never say something like that. 10 miles an hour aint that fast and anyone used to skating likely realized a long time ago that the rattling teeth thing has a couple solutions: A) get bigger/ softer wheels, some bones spf's perhaps, or B) just get used to it and it goes away; like a tolerance so to speak. 

And i love that E-man video. So raw. I'd rather watch that any day of the week then someone doing sketchy speed checks all the way down a long hill. Bombing hills straight down, combatting wobbles, with style too, now that makes me want to skate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWloEsjoVlI

4. I didn't read the whole trd. But to the guy who suggested skateboarding and said fuck longboard. Haha... Hahaha.... Skateboarding is for tricks going no more then 10 mph. Longboarding is for going fast. I advise against getting a skateboard unless you like a stiff body every morning and are okay with horrible pain all the time:

SickAsTits.

5. If you feel no pain

you probably didnt accomplish shit.

why cant everyone just ride both? fuck it. i ride both regular boards and longboards. i fucking love them both.
    see no reason to think otherwise :confused_2:

6. Landyachtz all day

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7.  I do ride both. All im saying is that if you want to do anything worth while on a skateboard its gonna be a painful adventure. I have felt my share of pain, both for the skateboard and the longboard. But the longboard has been considerably easier and funner to ride. I guess i like a bit of speed. 

Plus, skateboards are so small and fidily and im like 6'3 and ever since starting to longboard im starting to lose the feel for the damn thing. 

Tried a back 1 the other day, eat shit so hard. :(

8. #88 PanelVan, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2014
    Dubs Longboards is where it's at!

(They even have a drug reference in the name!)

9. I have a San Clemente drop in cruiser. It sucks there's no hills whatsoever in lowcountry SC

10. I used to  skate park and street for years. Just when I would start getting good again I would sprain my ankle.. and sprain it again and again. Decided I liked cruising and pumping way more so I made a shlong board with gullwing sidewinder trucks and grippy big wheels. Hills are interesting on it, and by interesting I mean scary as shit. the back end likes to come out, which wouldnt be an issue if it could be turned into a controlled slide, but thats not the case with the grippy wheels it'll buck you like a bull at a rodeo  lol madddd fun for carving and cruising really mellow slopes and flat land. definitely was my preferred college campus transportation.

11. A shlongboard with Gullwing Sidewinders...I wouldn't fux with that.

12. grab a skateboard and load up some soft wheels on her. basically a shortboard :D

Skate.

13. Had the honor of riding with Ethan Cochard, and Brandon DesJarlais a few months back...

Theyre definitely worth looking up on youtube.

Ethan is a Loaded team rider, has an O-tang wheel deal and after seeing him ride in person, I totally understand why.

I mean I'm not bad, but riding next to either of them It's hard not to look bad.. :hide:

Brandon is currently riding for InclineLongBoards, Buzzed trucks, and Seismic wheels. He also holds/held the World record for distance on a slide.

Ethan rode a Loaded deck, Brandon a LongBoardLarry, and I was on a Landyachtz.. I'd recommend any of those brands for a deck.

Gotta love the great skating in Oregon  :hello: