Door to Door Bonzai Tree Salesman..

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Royal Vengeance, Feb 6, 2014.

1. What an awesome product to sell door to door lol

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1391642376.786591.jpg

I went full American and bought something I have no idea how to care for. I figure it can't be to hard to keep the little fucker alive.

Anyone got any advice for caring for a 5yr old Bonzai tree? Should I transplant it into a more spacious pot?

Fuckin tree is so small lol I couldn't help but buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity F

2. cool as fuck

3. Looks good to me..

..granted, I only did landscaping for two summers back in High School..

..and it mostly consisted of smoking shitty weed and mowing lawns.

:lol:

4. #4 Nerd139, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
    I thought bonzai trees were actually bushes that were trimmed to look like trees? Are they trees? You wouldnt move it to a different pot. Leave it where it is and trim it to relax

5. Wax on or wax off. Something like that. :confused_2:

6. Naw they're real trees.

But I mean.. Mine came from a guy who just walked in and shouted Bonzai.. So could easily be a small trimmed bush for all I know lol

7. The purposes of bonsai are primarily contemplation (for the viewer) and the pleasant exercise of effort and ingenuity (for the grower).<sup>[3]</sup> By contrast with other plant cultivation practices, bonsai is not intended for production of food, for medicine, or for creating yard-size or park-size gardens or landscapes. Instead, bonsai practice focuses on long-term cultivation and shaping of one or more small trees growing in a container.

The practice of bonsai development incorporates a number of techniques either unique to bonsai or, if used in other forms of cultivation, applied in unusual ways that are particularly suitable to the bonsai domain. These techniques include:
    • Leaf trimming, the selective removal of leaves (for most varieties of deciduous tree) or needles (for coniferous trees and some others) from a bonsai's trunk and branches.
    • Pruning the trunk, branches, and roots of the candidate tree.
    • Wiring branches and trunks allows the bonsai designer to create the desired general form and make detailed branch and leaf placements.
    • Clamping using mechanical devices for shaping trunks and branches.
    • Grafting new growing material (typically a bud, branch, or root) into a prepared area on the trunk or under the bark of the tree.
    • Defoliation, which can provide short-term dwarfing of foliage for certain deciduous species.
    • Deadwood bonsai techniques called jin and shari simulate age and maturity in a bonsai.
    Care[SIZE=small][edit][/SIZE]
    Small trees grown in containers, like bonsai, require specialized care. Unlike houseplants and other subjects of container gardening, tree species in the wild, in general, grow roots up to several meters long and root structures encompassing several thousand liters of soil. In contrast, a typical bonsai container is under 25 centimeters in its largest dimension and 2 to 10 liters in volume. Branch and leaf (or needle) growth in trees is also large-scale in nature. Wild trees typically grow 5 meters or taller when mature, whereas the largest bonsai rarely exceed 1 meter and most specimens are significantly smaller. These size differences affect maturation, transpiration, nutrition, pest resistance, and many other aspects of tree biology. Maintaining the long-term health of a tree in a container requires some specialized care techniques:
    • Watering must be regular and must relate to the bonsai species' requirement for dry, moist, or wet soil.
    • Repotting must occur at intervals dictated by the vigour and age of each tree.
    • Tools have been developed for the specialized requirements of maintaining bonsai.
    • Soil composition and fertilization must be specialized to the needs of each bonsai tree, although bonsai soil is almost always a loose, fast-draining mix of components.<sup>[89]</sup>
    • Location and overwintering are species-dependent when the bonsai is kept outdoors as different species require different light conditions. It is important to note that few of the traditional bonsai species can survive inside a typical house, due to the usually dry indoor climate.<sup>[90]</sup>

8. So take care of it like any other plant and cut branches and graft branches to make it look how you want. Its art but with trees

9. I would defiantly buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Time to whip out the ol pruning snips from the closet lol

Thanks man! I didn't even have to use google :p

11. I want one but they're pretty expensive. Maybe when I'm older

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

defiantly: marked by resistance or bold opposition

You: "Fuck you and your trees, Salesman. Now how much does one cost?"

13. Sounds like a friend of mine. Asks me questions because he wants me to do the research for him

14. hahah shit

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. hahaha :)

16. Why buy one? There are trees everywhere. Snip a little branch, plant it, and BONZAI!

17. Thats a juniper bonsai, if you are keeping it indoors it is somewhat hard to keep alive. I have had mine for going on 6 years and just picked up another small one. The main thing is do not over water, it will cause root rot and that can be the end of the little guy. If you are looking to repot, check to make sure the tree isn't wired in before you try to pull it out of the soil, also I would check youtube for some videos, some are pretty good. 

18. #18 StayLowGrows, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
    Since the topic has been brought up...

What would be a good starting medium for a little starter? Some good forest loam?

I have some willow water almost ready for this purpose as well

19. #19 FunTimeGrowHap, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  20. excellent post! I was looking for info on Bonsai and here it is.:D

Twas Ever Thus!