Im lost...

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Incommision, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Damn, this was so inspirational, I felt compelled to reflect on my life because of something I myself once said...

Damn, this was so inspirational, I felt compelled to reflect on my life because of something I myself once said...

3. Don't choose a religion. Why don't you choose what to believe in. Instead of following some 'Higher Order'.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Who is the self? What you are now, you weren't before.

5. Someone once told me about some Amish people he met who had like taken a temporary leave from the Amish or something like that. Anyways, he claimed that these Amish go absolutely wild when they leave.

6. #26 forty winks, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
    stuff the void with something semi-solid

7. the bible offers salvation through submission, independent of whether or not you are a good person that does good deeds. 

You can be a good person without religion

8. I am an open atheist, but I did search for what was right for me. I tried religion and when I was there I never felt right, I always felt like an outsider and when I questioned the things I had problems with there was no real answer. It was just always "faith". My faith lied elsewhere and I am happy I found where I belong.

Do you man, if you feel like the church is calling you then go to it. A lot of people find comfort in it. As for people like me, just let us be.

9. OP

I know what you mean man, I was a christian my whole life up until a short while ago. I attended church every Saturday and went to events weekly. I was wanting to become a minister at one point until I stopped believing. It's a process that takes a while to come to grips with, for some it can be instantaneous and for others it can take a long time. The reason I'm not religious anymore is because I started applying my skepticism to my religious convictions. And when I did that I realized that it was not a position that I could justify. 

Yeah, religion and church gives a lot of people meaning and purpose, though we give our lives any purpose we want. Just as a person says they can't live without their religious beliefs, people say they need a mechanic to fix their car. They don't need one, they are just unable to to it themselves and are yet to learn how. Any religion can make a person happy, though that doesn't lend any credence to its truth, Religion can at times be very helpful and rewarding, that is why they are still around.

When I stopped believing that stuff for a period of time I thought my life had no meaning anymore. If I was just going into the ground and that's it, I felt 'lifeless'. But I came to see that we can imbue and meaning in the lives that we live. And this is why I think the idea of an afterlife really functions as a substitute for knowledge and wisdom and really accepting the reality that everyone on the earth is going to die and some may do so unfairly and unwarranted. But that is the world we live in.