1200W- The Underground Jungle - Hydro

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by rain dancer, Feb 5, 2014.

1. You arnt mistaken there buddy :) I know a few grower that run a lizard bulb for 10-15 mins every hour.

Peace 👽

Headchefs indoor and outdoor adventures! - http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1289059-

2. A lizard bulb?

Seems full spectrum is the best way to go eh?

3. #703 PP117, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    This was really interesting to me, and caused me to read more about it just now. I have reptile UVB lamps, so I was considering adding them to my system.

This was an interesting paragraph from the following article:
    http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2696.html
    Since I'm growing weed purely for medicinal reasons, and would prefer a more balanced ratio of THC to CBD, it made me decide to not use UVB lights. But if someone is going for maximum THC content, I can see why they would want to use UVB lights.

Edit: I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't implying that the high-THC strains aren't medicinal. For some peoples' illnesses, those strains might be the best medicine for them. But most people with my particular set of illnesses usually seek out the higher-CBD strains.

4. #704 rain dancer, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    This is seriously one of the most informative posts ive ever read on grasscity. Youve just rattled my brain with stuff to think about. Im off to do some research...the wonderful wizard of oz!

Lol :smoke:

Seriously, thats crazy about uvb light. You guys just taught me something i was completely clueless about. I wonder how much uvb light we can have, which one is best, etc.

Edit: ah, as a medicinal patient im more for cbd! Interesting though.

5. Side note too... Uvb lights can be dangerous to humans. Direct prolonged exposure has some serious side effects.

1000 watt Scrog Journal

6. Most definitely. Skin cancer anyone? I dont even like to be under the hps very long tbh.

7. I should be startin on my new plants in a matter of days. Im about to be up to my ears in plants.

Growin about 6 more from seed, hopin for a male to breed 12-15 new strains.

Then ill grow the seeds from those out for a year or so and see what we get. Pick the best of the best from my journals and cross them as well and so on and so on :)

8. How I clone:

Couple years ago I was having tons of failures with cloning. I stopped using powders, hormones n junk and had an idea for a dome setup that I could apply to individual clones, since I didnt need many at the time.

I ended up taking two clear cups, putting small holes into the bottom of one cup, reversing that cup and taping them together, like this
    [​IMG]

I used many types of tape but only the cheapest crap, scotch tape, seemed to seal in moisture.

I typically get roots in 4-5 days, spraying only plain tap water.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a confidential cheese I cloned for a family member^

And here's an alien OG, the plant has eluded my flower room until this grow. She WILL finish this time around!
    [​IMG]

After transplant I toss the cup with air holes in it back on top, to ensure the plant uses foliage to drink until roots are established
    [​IMG]
    Notice how I reuse my wife's soda cups? I reuse pretty much everything. Im a hoarder lol

I've found that jiffy pellets work well, but are inferior to root plugs.

I reuse these cups endlessly, cleaning them with bleach water, rinsing well, and putting new cuttings.

For hydro cloning, in my other thread, ill be building one of @[member="GoldGrower"] 's sprinkler cloners, because his cloner is truly EPIC! :smoke:

***however, jiffy pellets and root plugs can both be transferred directly to hydro. Ive done it many times already.

9. #709 rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  10. There we go guys :)
    I made a statement and come back a few day later coz I forgot my login details and it's been perfectly answered for me 👍👍👍

Peace 👽

Headchefs indoor and outdoor adventures! - http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1289059-

11. These threads become organic and alive. Hell, even I come back and theyre movin on without me sometimes. I dont mind. It's what its here for. Im so glad when people are teaching each other in here. Keeps it legit :smoke:

12. Remember the first two hydro plants I grew, how one was just amazing and the other was shit? The amazing plant was most likely blue dream, and it knocks me on my ass and helps me sleep like a baby.

It was given to me in a jar by a friend, and i found a seed two days ago.

The seed popped a lil tail this morning and will go into a jiffy cube shortly. Thats 3 seeds popped, waiting on 3 more.

The three that popped are in jiffy pellets waiting to shed their shells and become lil plants.

Also, my grow room was flickering today. I thought great, there goes my bulb or ballast. Turns out it was the surge protector. Thank God. Man......coulda been worse, knock on wood.

13. Hey poke...

What did you use to kill root bugs?

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now."

1000 watt Scrog Journal

14. Depends on which kind you have. The common soil mite and most everything else is NO match for pyrethrin, but you must get the purest stuff, which is on amazon.

For root aphids NOTHING worked. But tbh, when I say that,i had JUST poured pyrethrin and Imidacloprid (mixed bayer tree n shrub with bayer citrus) and poured it on my sad plants. I stood there for five minutes and thought, this may work, even though my initial 1/4 strength application of only imidacloprid didnt work AT ALL. Then I thought, do I really wanna smoke this shit? I didnt. So i chopped my plants down completely, killing "one a kind" strains I didnt have copies of.

Broke my damn heart. This was the days when I was rusty and had never considered using no pest strips and didnt know how to mix pyrethrin properly (2-3x the normal dose now)

Here's my documented battle:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/1259666-root-aphids-thread-identify-destroy.html

-------------------
    None of the seeds I put in jiffy pellets with tails popped through yet. I used to use a heating pad to warm a plate that theyd sit and on it would help them along but two reasons i stopped.
    1) they can cook your seeds if you put the setting too high
    2) in the old days, you could put it on the first setting and all seeds would pop overnight, but they went digital, which makes them auto shutoff after 30-45mins

Which sucks. (all the more reason to buy USED heating pads at yard sales for plant use only)

Putting them in a warm window seal seems to help them along. I used my wifes muffin pan to hold jiffy pellets, since they hold 6-12, depending on the pan, and put labels in front of every pellet. Ill edit this post with pics soon to show you.

Anyhow a seed popped through the soil finally, due to the warmth of the sun which makes me pretty damn happy, as seeds are slow as hell compared to clones.

15. #715 rain dancer, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Chopped 6 plants today.

Started two more seeds of bubba kush x berry

Transplanting all plants into new soil and hydro today. Will post pics later of all the work n progress.

16. Hey poke...

Have you used mosquito dunks before?I think I've got a fungus gnat issue.

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now."

1000 watt Scrog Journal

17. Yeah I have. They work okay. I usually combine them with pyrethrin.

The mosquito dunks that are local are like 10% bacteria. Online for like 6 bucks gnatrol is 37%ish. Id recommend that one,

I like pyrethrin. I did my research on it though. They spray it on all U.S. uniforms n junk for the services.

For soil i break mosquito dunks up and put them on the top layer, crumbled. They will soak up water and then dry out, which apparently isnt an issue according to what ive read. I also soaked some in distilled water and used it when I watered.

Ive also used it in hydro, i broke up chunks and dropped them directly into my res, along with cannazym to no detriment at all.

The local stuff eradicated my hydro problem within a week. I also helped it along by not watering the medium at all anymore. I never will again. Dwc for me.

18. Banana kush mother is friggin huge. Just moved her up to a (10 gal?) bucket. I think its ten gallons
    [​IMG]

Shes almost too tall to be under my lowered lights, which is why I tied her down. I havent been feeding her silica, so she's breaking very easily, as the stems are all wood now.
    [​IMG]

These are just some of the plants. I didnt transplant them all because im waiting to decide if Im going to turn my other light on or not
    [​IMG]
    There's the only lil hydro plant. 6 inch net pots this time around. Straight dwc, no drip lines EVAR!!!

White widow/berry strain (my mix)
    [​IMG]

More shots of clones, from a different angle
    [​IMG]

Still not happy with the setup and plan to move stuff around as they grow. Also, not sure if Im gonna keep that metal halide in there or not. Ill give it a week to impress me :p

Seeds with tails go in jiffy pellets, for transplant into soil or hydo. I like to keep soil mothers and clone from there.
    [​IMG]

The plant on the left is some unknown seed i grew because why not? Its not weed, though it may be a weed,i found it growing in my worm bin. :)

[​IMG]
    Not bad for no veg time :smoke:
    Some lemondhead (which im sure ill make into edibles, cuz its sucky looking)(bagseed with potential/breeder)
    Sour 3d had really weak stems and almost no bud production (hoping to see the difference in hydro)
    Choc chunk excelled compared to the others.

These clones were given to me, so i experimented after twking clones. I actually wanted to see how little i could give these plants and what would happen with no veg time. They turned out good for having shitty happy frog soil, shitty fox farm old ass nutes, until two weeks into flower when i switched them to organic (and they excelled almost instantly overnight).

These are also plants that i did my first ever pyrethrin soak on to eradicate fungus gnats, which were decimating them. The worm teas showed great improvement.

My brother asked me today, why do they look so bad (because i let them go over a week without water to make curing easier) and I replied, because theyre dead lol nothing looks that good dead. My other brother responded, well, at least it doesnt smell bad lol

19. I switched out my metal halide for an hps, i hate metal halide, half the lumens, 1/3rd the growth rate, same use of power. Not much stretch improvement imo. But eventually, you get tons more heads/tops, unless youre already lsting, then it doesnt matter.

Most of my seeds arent popping, but i changed my method and some of these seeds are 1-2 bagseed ive had for YEARS.

The first seed that popped didnt grow once put in the jiffy pellet.

And a plant thats been thriving in a small cup pretty much died after transplant(though it was an unknown, accidental clone). Not a big deal, just minor setbacks as i tweak things. Keepin the right attitude means failure is impossible

20. Would you ever consider starting out seedlings/clones under HPS? If not, how long would you usually keep them under MH?

Have you ever noticed a heat difference between the 2 lamps? I researched it on the net, and I couldn't find any clear answers, because there were many different opinions.