Whats the closest alternative we have for space travel besides fuel/chemical reactions?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by WoodHouse, Feb 3, 2014.

1. We will never visit other places outside of our solar system. That's the sad truth.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD08CuUi_Ek&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2. I think that highspeed video technology will be developed that will allow us to be able to see things at the speed of light

I think that we will develop sensors that will detect objects in space and prevent us from running into them as we travel.

We will develop the technology to slow down and speed up. Maybe not slow down on a dime but if we are able to see what is far ahead and calculate how long it'll task to maneuver and stop we'll be fine

Even it all this takes a million years we will be able to do it. We will probably spend most time colonizing our own solar system though

That paradox assumes we arnt first. Some alien force out there or many forces out there have to be first. What if this is the first go around for intelligent life?

It is perfectly understandable we havent been discovered yet or we have been but the aliens that discovered us arrived at a time we wernt around or deemed us unworthy of exploration ages ago. It might not even be worth it to come all the way here considering the distance they'd have to travel.

Ever play game called Spore? There is part where you travel space and when you get real far there is a point that you cant go back and defend your other alien allies and your species as you travel. The aliens and your species are attacked by another hostile race and you have to defend them for supplies and stuff. Well at a certain point you cant keep going back and saving planets so you have to leave them to their fate. I think it will be the same way with aliens. They have to travel to far and dont have the supplies and the ports set up to travel or continuously travel here though if we've been discovered they might point a telescope here and peer in every now and then.

3. The fermi paradox assumes we havnt already been visited.

What if there really was a crash in new mexico? What if it wasnt really that advanced? Like their own version of voyager with a cryo sleep. What if that alien knew it was a one way trip.

What if aliens are treating earth like a protected park and not allowing interference until we are ready? Maybe they are studying us from afar.

Maybe like the previous poster said. Maybe life is common, but inteligence is rare. Maybe inteligent life usually becomes extinct either by a natural disaster or by destroying themselves in nuclear fire.

Maybe humans will be one of the first to actually manage to do it.

Maybe we too will become extinct and another trillion years pass before another race advances enough.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #25 Nerd139, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
    I honestly dont believe the human race will survive on Earth alone. We'll have to colonize other planets and moons. The first will be the moon an then Mars.

Maybe that's how life gets messed up on planets. The most intelligent species always wipes out their own planet through war and population growth before they actually colonize another planet. Sure they make it to them but they dont terrafrom fast enough and when the home planet is gone the rest die off for lack of supplies from home

5. I dont know about the moon. The moon is small and has low gravity and is also not as protected as mars (which also isnt protected)

But i feel moon colony life will probly be tied to earth life and be less independent than a mars colony.

6. I think the depending on how easily we can build domes strong enough to be out in space and such a moon colony will mostly consist of scientist and their families and rich people who want to be cool. The moon isnt as big as earth but I wouldnt call it small. We'd be able to fit lots of people and cities on it. 

It'll probably take a couple hundred years though once for the population to really explode. 
    Biggest problem to colonization though is gravity. Too little and people wont be able to return or visit Earth. Artificial gravity would work but we'll never be able to live outside the dome which I guess might be a whatever thing. Be easier to just live in a dome city than figure out how to give a planet a livable atmosphere.

Probably what will happen before any planet is colonized is that we'll send machines there to build everything and get things started. Maybe even have androids(?) we can control from Earth instead of rovers so we can properly explore a planet and do research. Hopefully by then we'll have things set up so signals can be sent and received faster.

7. It wouldnt be rich people and scientists.

Maybe thays who would start the colony, like how all colonies start, but as population grows, it will reaemble aby other big city

8. didnt read thread

warp drive. case closed

9. #30 Nerd139, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
    Yeah when I wrote that part I was only thinking in terms of the very beginnings of it.

10. Ludicrous speed.

11. #32 Michio Kaku, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
    Haha this thread pisses me off..
    Cause it reminds me of our sorry ass NASA budget.
    Building space stations is an engineering frontier not a space frontier
    Space exploration is fucked. It's up to this generation to be thinkers 
    \n
    Our Solar System isn't very big.. I mean it's huge. But in the universe's vastness it would be stupid to aim for "Out of our solar system"
    Maybe Galaxy yeah.. but eventually if we don't get wiped out or do it ourselves, we will go galactic..
    If we continue like this as a society for a solid couple decades then we'll recede back to the caves.
    Interstellar travel will take a long time. Intergalactic travel twice or three times as long.
    Look at our progression since the steam engine.

This would work the best. But the means of warp drive? Well, we'll have to harness so much energy it's fascinating to think about.. Discover new hidden elements, hidden matter..

12. woohoo someone wants to talk to warp drive with me. Yeah Nasa currently is working out the means to stretch and condense space-time so that we actually move distant places "closer" to us by warping the fabric. The means and math to it? I dont fucking know but it was on star trek. and science always catches up to star trek eventually

13. what i wonder is if we will be post earth before or after were post human

14. Idk.if we will be able to define post human.being as evolution occures in tiny tiny undetectible.steps.over thousands of generations.

Where will we draw the line?

15. Yeah dark energy is gonna fuck NASA on that process.
    The Universe.. man. We think it's expanding.. Well it's happening more and more rapidly. 85% of the gravity has a source that we know about. That other 15% in the universe we have no clue what's causing it. That's dark energy. Placeholder term really, it's technically dark gravity. It's causing the rapid expansion of our universe. One day we'll look up in the sky and see nothing. We'll look back at the science books and say, oh, that used to be there.. and we would have no knowledge of anything had Principia and afterwords never changed the way we think about the universe.
    Then after so long? All life in the universe will cease to exist. Why? Because of the expansion, the universe will experience a big freeze.
    How to escape the inevitable death of the universe? To leave our universe.... Whoa!

1-14.jpg

proposed_fy2012_discretionary_spending.png

nasa-budget-graph-580x435.jpg

16. I really like this story by Asimov. Has to do with what happens after entropy reaches zero. Give it a read it's worth it.

http://filer.case.edu/dts8/thelastq.htm

17. I really liked that article.

"Who says it didn't? What I say is that a sun won't last forever. That's all I'm saying. We're safe for ten billion years, but then what?" Lupow pointed a slightly shaky finger at the other. "And don't say we'll switch to another sun."

Hahahaha in ten billion years we will be far beyond the energy of a puny star. I won't say we'll switch to another sun.. I say we'll switch to another universe. TEN BILLION YEARS FROM NOW? Unfathomable. I hope we flourish. May Science be with us!

18. post human as in expanding the human mind/body with technology. cybernetics and shit.

19. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qlLW60wOjo

You mean genome sequencing, nervous system connectivity, conciousness onto a hard drive?