Whats the closest alternative we have for space travel besides fuel/chemical reactions?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by WoodHouse, Feb 3, 2014.

1. #1 WoodHouse, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
     Just wondering..somewhere some scientists have to be working on something for long distance space trips.

2. #2 emperor_dragoon, Feb 3, 2014
    gravity and magnetism..... WE live on a space ship.

3. The Earth can't move the space around it. We're gonna die on this rock when the sun burns out.

4. We will be dead long before the sun burns out lol.  But I do agree that gravity and magnetism are the ways to go.  No friction in space if you go 10mph you wont ever stop intil you hit something or counter the momentum. 

There are many unique theories out there, some with traveling through wormholes and other dimensions.  Some of the science supports that these could work.

5. The slingshot. You just need a huge rubber band , two pieces of wood , and some nails. If scientist had anything cars would be first.

6. Who says we need to travel through space? 

Ain't nothin out der. 

7. We should pay more attention to our ocean and see what beneath us

8. Practical at this point in time? None really.

9. Nuclear power

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. #10 Nerd139, Feb 3, 2014
    Could be other planets with life or that we can terraform and put life on

I wouldnt want to live in the ocean. All it takes is a war and a submarine and youre fucked

Though I guess in space all it'd take is a Gundam Suit

11. I dont think he meant we should live underwater.

We know more about space than we know about whats under our oceans and beneath our feet.

We talk about the immense resources from asteroid mining, bit id bet we havent even mined a single percent of whats under our feet

12. What happens when we mine all of Earth's resources? That shit is not going to come back plus at some point the human population wont be sustainable on land while keeping wild animals alive. I think we should explore the ocean and all but more for finding new places to live rather than only looking to mine resources. Probably in the process of mining the ocean we'll find more creatures who live under the crust

13. i didnt say we shouldnt mine asteroids or invest in space travel.
    I said we need to explore all options

14. thats such a stupid thing people say. we are one planet out of like millions in space. we obviously know far more about our oceans than we can even begin to comprehend about space

15. Actually its true. We can see space. We cant see underground

16. theres like an infinite number of planets we also cant see. and also have no idea they even exist yet. if we know ANYTHING about earth we already know more than we do about space lol.

17. #17 Nerd139, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
    That does not mean we dont know more. That means there is more to discover. We discover a lot more about space everyday than we do the deep ocean. We could probably discover everything about the ocean faster than space if we could get down there though but space has a lot more to offer and easier to see.

18. dont remember where i heard this but ive heard theories we have alien technology that uses " anti gravity ".

19. Your just arguing to argue here.

Lets not play semantics. I made a valid point. Fogive me if i made a hyperbole

20. #20 Heroic Dose, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
    nvm