Any News on Grasshopper Vape?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by andrewcarnegie, Jan 31, 2014.

THAT will NEVER happen.  You're actually expecting a pen to hit like an SSV?    :laughing:

2. #62 bubba ho-tep, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
    Dude it's kick starter, didn't you see that recent south park episode? Lol
    Anything can happen when u go on kick starter and start pledging money. Your so pose to realize that going into it.

Plus didn't you say that you weren't a backer anyway?

3. #63 bubba ho-tep, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
    I'm not expecting anything.
    They "CLAIM" it will preform like a top shelf desk top unit. There words not mine.
    Lol why the hell yinz all coming at me. All's I'm trying to say is to give them the time they need to get it right. I've been following them and there defiantly trying hard to make this work.
    Not saying it will work. But its nice to see dedication.

Yeah I said that.

My point has nothing to do with kickstarter..it's about the people making the Grasshopper vaporizer and how they are failing as a company. They've already given themselves a bad name because of their missed deadlines and lack of communication/transparency. Their customer service is most likely gonna be a total nightmare.

5. Have you even been on fuckcombustion.com? cause they been frequent on there ever since the thing was announced. Posting pics, giving updates and explaining all the delays that they have had in detail, most of which being there outsourced manufacturers either being late on the parts or not building the parts to the correct criteria.
    Here's the last update...

Hey Everyone,

We're here with the December 15th update and more news on the progress of the Grasshopper. We've been very busy implementing and testing the new parts that have arrived. Since the last update, we've received another batch of production PCBs, assembled the control stacks, and we now have a number of Back Ends fully completed and operational.

The arrival of these particular PCBs was a big step forward for us. After months work sourcing components and refining both the circuit and the software, we were ready to have the PCBs machine-assembled. After shipping the components to the fab, we waited for the boards to come in. Two panels of PCBs arrived last Friday, and we began testing right away.

Having tested the circuit extensively on larger hand-assembled PCBs, we were confident that the smaller machine-assembled versions would work. However, the initial results were not good. It quickly became apparent that the fab had made some critical mistakes when placing the components, causing the boards to function incorrectly. After troubleshooting late into the night on Saturday, we were able to remove and replace the incorrectly-oriented components by hand under a microscope. We loaded the software and powered up the boards. The LEDs came on and the heater reached temperature. After extensive testing for the rest of the weekend, we are very pleased to report that everything is working perfectly!

We've contacted the fab regarding their mistakes, and they are fast-tracking new PCBs for us. Our sourcing agent is making a visit to ensure that things are done correctly, and we expect to have a new batch in-hand by early next week.

The machined contacts mentioned during last update combine with the PCBs to form the Control Stacks of the Grasshopper. These tiny modular assemblies allow for communication between the front and rear of the device without the use of wires. This is one of the key aspects that make the Grasshopper so durable and reliable.

Installing the rear Control Stack into the Back End allowed us to create mechanically and electrically functioning assemblies. Check out the short video of the very crisp mechanical button operation.

That's it for this update. The Bodies, Front Ends, and the remainder of the production parts will be arriving in a single shipment very shortly!

The Grasshopper Team

6. Yeah I have seen that update..it sounds like another few months of waiting lol

7. I can't argue with that lol lets agree to disagree.

Bullshit.   They have NOT been frequent on FC.   These updates have been copied from Reddit along with being copied from their FaceBook page by FC members and reposted on FC and this includes the one you just posted above.

That's true..all it takes is about 5 minutes for one guy to copy/paste the same update on everything such as Indiegogo, FC, facebook, reddit, twitter, etc.

10. My point was just that they are giving updates. I just happen to read them on FC. You are correct tho.

11. I would be bugging out, then again I probably wouldn't be in that situation because I don't buy vaporizers based on hopes and dreams.

12. Posted by an FC member this morning. He emailed him with concerns that we all have and here's Trevor's response below...

Thanks for contacting me. I try and get to every email so sometimes it takes a bit. First, thanks for the support and kind words of recognition in regards to our efforts. It is truly appreciated. I used your numbering below to address your questions.

1. There currently is a color difference between the clip and the body. This is because we had to use a special alloy, the same one used for the snap ring, ( 17-4 Stainless ) to give the clip adequate strength. At first we attempted a heat treatment, but because of the clip's thin profile there were some issues with deformation. When having to design the new tooling for the clip, we decided to go the safest route possible and use 17-4 Stainless.

Check out this link for some basic info on the alloy. http://www.specialtysteelsupply.com/17-4ph-stainless-steel.php. The main property we are interested in is the very high yield strength.

We have considered a number of options regarding the color difference, but for now it will have to stay. Once the main Body is in, we will post images so you can see what the difference really looks like.

2. Thanks for taking the time to watch the video of the back end! We are really happy with how it came out mechanically. Extensive testing referred to a few things, but not the full Hopper, as we are waiting on the Body and Front-ends to come in.

First, we tested the mechanical operation of the button. The button has a design very similar to that of a real "click" pen, which extended and retracts the tip. In our case it moves a pin, which completes a circuit in one position and not in the other. Until last week we had only tested all the production parts of this separately, but not together. Once combined, we put it through the paces and checked that it was indeed working correctly. This went extremely well and there were no issues. It's really hard to convey how good this feels after so much time spent in front of a CAD model designing, checking and rechecking the design, clearances and tolerances.

The second part of testing involved the PCBs/electronics. One PCB is housed inside the rear assembly. It controls the on/off operation, temperature-dial-setting, and charging. The other is in front of the battery and it controls the chamber/heater temperature and the LEDs. The first step was to get these PCBs working outside the device, and like we talked about in the update, there were a few problems. Once that was done we assembled the Back-end with the PCB included and connected it to the Front-end PCB to fully test all the functionality. This also went really well and everything including the temp-dial-setting and charging worked as intended.

If you are wondering about actually vapeing during testing we do actually do this too. The difference being that we don't use the old incompatible prototypes, but have a system to adapt from the heater to a "chamber" that is affixed to the glass apparatus we showed a few updates ago. Although I don't think many people were impressed by this device, it actually is very important to be able to objectivly control the draw, so the results can be measured. A vacuum pump, and value allow us to precisely control the flow of air. As you can imagine, just taking a rip does not really give you great data.

Front-end

The Front-end is much more mechanically simple, but also a bit more challenging for the manufactures. The biggest issue with the Front-end is heat management. An all metal device that is designed to vape is a hard thing to do. Notice how almost every other vape is plastic where it contacts your lips? This is because plastic can be a lot hotter before it feels hot/burns you. Metal is a much better conductor of heat making it hard to work with. The prototypes we had at the very start had a good way to solve this problem, but it was very hard to do during mass production. In retrospect it is easy to see this was a big error, and caused a lot of delay.

We worked like crazy to get this right, and came to a design that required some complex manufacturing that was pretty costly. Because of this we had to get it right the first time. We went through an exhaustive list of iterations before submitting the design, as we needed to be sure that it was right. These have been promised to be completed before the 20th and we are very excited.

I apologize for the not so concise email I just got a bit into explaining it and figured since you asked you would appreciate it. I know the delays have been hard to stomach, so thanks for staying interested. We really are trying to get this to you as fast as possible, without compromise turning it into a piece of garbage. Feel free to relay the info, please forgive the typos, there is much still to do!

Thanks again for the support and happy holidays,

Trevor

13. Do you think we will get these? Was I a fool for sending them my 150.00?
    If the answer is- yes, I am a fool. Don't answer :)
    But if you'll encourage me to keep believing in this, you can answer.
    I hope I didn't throw my money away.
    I don't have much of that stuff :(
    I don't know why I bought it on a promise, honestly. I guess I just believe it'll happen! Or hope, I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Oh and I will mention - there is a lot of grasshopper talk on some current "who's a fraud" websites.

15. At this point I think it's fair to say you are all out the $$ and the grasshopper is a pipe dream.

16. I don't believe that's fair at all. Why would you say that if you obviously know nothing about it? Anyone who supported the campaign has been receiving regular updates, photos and videos of the progress, and most recently, an actual projected shipping date.

Yes, it's been very frustrating while we all wait for these guys to learn on the job. Yes, it's taken MUCH longer than anyone expected. But I absolutely believe we're getting close to the finish line. And every bit of evidence backs that up.

Don't be such a naysayer, Eeyore.

17. This made me laugh, if projected ship dates meant anything thing wouldnt the product have been realeased in march like it was supposed to ?

18. I guess they figured out pretty early in the process that they weren't going to hit any of their originally stated deadlines for shipping, so they stopped guessing after the first few updates, and just focused on progress reports. I don't recall them mentioning any projected shipping dates after those first few updates, which means it's been about a year since they offered a projection. And that's why it's noteworthy that they have offered one now - it suggests that they're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Again, what's the point of the negativity now? By all indications they're finally getting near the finish line. Are you suggesting that this whole thing has been an elaborate scam?

19. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0

20. Im suggesting that this vaporizer was supposed to be released a very long time ago... I think its safe to say there intergrity is on the line at this point. Even if you get your vape next week (I wouldn't hold your breathe) it wouldnt change the fact that they totally misled people and could not live up to there word. Do I think they planned on doing this ? No. is it looking good for anyone who sent money ? Hell no haha

If they were really so close whats stopping them from sending out some betas or a video of a grasshopper in use ?