Green House in So Ca or hot climate? Temp in summer

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by mrsilly, Jan 29, 2014.

1. What are the benefits?
    What are the negatives?
    Would you recommend this?
    What were your best results?
    What was. Your biggest disasters?

2. Benefits little to no bugs and u control the everioment disadvantage gets hot easy and u spend money on a.c./fans

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I would if smell is a problem

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. [quote name="austyn12" post="19429159" timestamp="1391013626"]

Benefits little to no bugs and u control the everioment disadvantage gets hot easy and u spend money on a.c./fans

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile

Is it even possible to air condition with just a plastic cover? Can you match the outdoor temps by using fans alone? If this is possible might be worth it. My hope was also to keep fine particulate matter off the bud as well not sure if that would be possible with blasting fans? Just trying to figure out of it is worth the extra expense. Last year I used mosquito netting to help keep the moths away. It helped.... Still a few got in had to police the bud regularly. Thinking that the green house could double as an outdoor flower room in winter? Not sure yet? Thank you for your reply.

5. Being a field electrician for many years I wired several of the large green houses you see around So Cal.. They operate with both entire ends working like a giant swamp cooler.. The intake end opens and water pours down the mats while at the same time the far end opens and a number of Huge 6 ft tall fans kick on exchanging the entire air of the green house in just a few minutes.. This will happen about every 10 min or so to keep temps from getting to high .. At the same time the misters run every 15 to 30 sec keeping the humidity quite high depending on just what being grown.. Greenhouses in so cal require extensive systems to keep temps under control.. Even in winter an 80 deg day would send temps in a greenhouse high enough to cook what your trying to grow..
    At the minimum I'd think you'll need a fairly high CFM exhaust hooked to something like an attic vent temp control.. A couple of weighted flaps could replace the powered flaps used in the professional ones..
    Even something like an attic gable powered exhaust could be adapted for use if the structure was sturdy enough to hang it from..
    Just me 2 cents on things.. BNW

6. Thank you for you input BNW. Very concise and understandable. From what I gather you saying unless this is done on a larger scale with a plan for cooling and ventilation the ROI is probably not
    Worth the effort? Do you think in 8x20 GH you could get by with a swamp cooler and fans? Should I just stick to sprays and mosquito netting?

7. [quote name="mrsilly" post="19429586" timestamp="1391019454"][quote name="austyn12" post="19429159" timestamp="1391013626"]Benefits little to no bugs and u control the everioment disadvantage gets hot easy and u spend money on a.c./fans Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile Is it even possible to air condition with just a plastic cover? Can you match the outdoor temps by using fans alone? If this is possible might be worth it. My hope was also to keep fine particulate matter off the bud as well not sure if that would be possible with blasting fans? Just trying to figure out of it is worth the extra expense. Last year I used mosquito netting to help keep the moths away. It helped.... Still a few got in had to police the bud regularly. Thinking that the green house could double as an outdoor flower room in winter? Not sure yet? Thank you for your reply.[/quote] I would make wooden spots for the fan one blowing out, one blowing in. Its great not really any bug problems or mold from rain.Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #8 mrsilly, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
    Sorry about the double post

9. Thank you, have you tried a GH with that set up?

Been looking at the eight by twelve GH from Harbor Frieght. It is made with polycarbonate sayes it has four roof vents . $599. Anyone try one of these?

10. Try the 20 x 10 x 7 with a curved roof on Amazon ! 200 bucks can't go wrong ! Get the "Strong Camel brand NOT the "peaked roof" kind that someone else sells !

11. I've got the smaller harbor freight one, and already on 75 degree days it gets to 95-110, so you'll definitely need some ventilation. That's with both vents and the door about halfway open. Also look up some videos before assembling, the instructions really suck.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app