Best At Home Vaporizer under 250?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by imalwayscold, Jan 28, 2014.

1. @lwien arent all those you listed right around the $200 range? I own a buddha myself.

nm. just checked, $131! I remember mine being closer to $200 than that when i bought it....over 5 years ago tho!

2. iwein you make a great point about toxic paints and glues and etc. As I've said I've experienced the cheap knock offs from china having lotsa industrial oils on the element etc that burn off when in use and any vaporbros knockoffs are suspect. But there are american made vaporbros knock offs that are way less than $200 and dont suffer from these issues and, yes, I'm the sort to tear them apart and see what theyre made of and I can assure you that they have the same ceramic soldering iron core, the same GOG labware glass sleeves, and identical everything else, and they last years. Its important to remember that these devices are just made from other off the shelf parts 99% of the time and housed in a custom shell, so the materials (such as heating cores) are quite inexpensive and ubiquitous already. On the flip side I've also taken apart plenty of big name expensive vapes and found that they lie about having a ceramic heat source (volcano) or that they may have nice working components but then they surround the heater with cheap plastic or silicone which melts or off-gasses when its used (davinci/ascent/volcano), and I've found oodles that dont have accurate temp readings according to my highly accurate IR probe (davinci/ascent/mistifier/I could go on forever). If you want real quality and not just hype, pick a vape with a simple design with fewer parts and shoot for a cost of less than $200, ideally in the $50-100 range. Any more than that and theyre just charging for advertising and to hype it up. There isnt a single vape on the market, not the ver damper nor the volcano nor any other, that actually costs more than $50 wholesale to make, no matter the bells and whistles. The rest is just markup. Hell, look at the magic flight box. Works ok, but sells for ~$200 and is literally nothing more than a nimh AA batt being shorted by two nails and a pipe screen. For desktop, for best overall value, I recommend the vaporite mini or digital. Its made of good quality materials, I can verify that the temp probes they use are accurate, and they last a long time and have a warranty. All for only $100 or so. For handheld, its harder to make a recommendation: every electric model seems to be either a knockoff ecig that burns or is a unique real vape but uses unsafe plastics around the heating core. I like the lazysneak for out and about - its lighter activated and seems to use the same principle as the vaporgenie, but is smaller and sneak-a-toke shaped and costs less than 30 bucks. Its not as nice as a desktop with digital control but it is fast and easy and makes huge vapor. The downside is if you apply heat to long it burns, but I picked up the trick fast and now I can perfectly toast the buds every time. Anyway, sorry for the block of text, I put in paragraphs but it doesnt display the blank lines when I submit.

3. #43 lwien, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014

Really?   Show me.................one.

4. Noob talking about trying to find real quality then says to buy a piece of shit $50-$100 vape. Vapolution is the cheapest desktop I would even risk hitting. I cant believe you actually suggest people to get a piece of china garbage like the vaporite.

I wouldnt be surprised if a sublimator has over $50 worth of titanium in it alone especially if they are sourcing high quality stuff. I have seen many log vapes made out of chunks of wood that would cost $50+ by its self. Please continue to make blanket statements though about vaporizers.

5. I did.
    I assume you missed this in my reply bc it was at the end of a wall of text. I'm sorry about that. Theres more, but this is all the effort I'm willing to expend. I've discussed why the $200 plus ones suck, gave some good tips for finding good quality cheap vapes, and any further discussion at this point would just leave me repeating myself. IDK why you're so insistent, perhaps you're just trying to justify having overpaid for one of the many many rip offs in the $200 plus range, but I promise you and everyone else that there are plenty of other, better options when it comes to desktop vapes. The major rules I have when looking for a good vape is avoid any made in china/india and also if its got any plastic around the area that gets hot. Sadly this is not also the case with portables: there the option is inexpensive cheap shitty and burning ecig knockoff or expensive, shitty, plastic tasting vapes (I havent tried the solo so this may not be the case, but it is with firebox, ascent, davinci, iolite, whispr, vaporblunt, plenty, and puffit). Hence I recommended the lighter op for portables. Man.... I just realized I've spent waaaaay too much money on way too many shitty vapes. Guess thats why I'm a little more circumspect now: I've spent $200 plus on a big name vape that promised much and delivers naught but thin vapor and plastic fumes about a dozen times now. Wasting a couple gs on overhyped vapes gives you a good sense of value and performance, once you learn from the mistake lol!

6. Yes, I'm a noob on this particular forum, but that doesnt invalidate the points I've made. I disagree about the quality of the vaporite models I mentioned (I agree that vapolution is good) - but you reminded me of something good - the handmade log vapes. Theres a good producer in Portland, OR that handmakes these and sells them for about $100. I'll try to find the links for you. Though I've never seen a polished log go for 50 by itself or anything close ;). The guy finds then drills out a log, polishes it, then sets in a ceramic soldering iron heater with a dimmer switch and covers it with a glass sleeve, same as vaporbros style just vertical. His has a bit of a woody taste depending on the wood for the first few sessions but it quickly bakes out and is very smooth. There are a ton of manufacturers for these type of vapes, but the Portland guy is high quality and cheap. I'd never pay more than a hundred for a vaporbros knockoff made with off the shelf parts totaling less than 20 bucks set into a chunk of found wood, however nicely polished. But since you seem to think that overpaying improves quality, by all means do what makes you happy. The rest of the folks I think appreciate true quality, which is easily had for less than $200.

7. Did you really just call log vapes a vaporbros knockoff? That is hilarious seeing as log vapes came before the vapor brothers and there a multiple better designs than what you are describing that come with no wood taste.

I have seen the insides of a vaporite. They look the same as a shit $50 china vape. Compare that to the insides of a seventh floor vaporizer for example its no comparison at all.

8. How can you say this but you recommend the vaporite which is Chinese made.

9. yes, please find the links. I just found the enano and underdog and theyre $200+ depending on you options.

I appreciate true quality....so if you can find a solid link for me thatd be awesome. im hoping to buy one in the next couple months.

10. Log vapes are the shit. I personally have the Underdog and I love it. Log vapes are great because you get massive hits on tiny amounts of weed. It is crazy how much it conserves weed. My wife and I both vape all day long and we go through just under an ounce a month between the two of us with the Underdog! When we were smoking blunts we would go through 3/4 of a pound between us, 3 ounces with bowls, 2 ounces with the Volcano, Arizer Extreme Q, and several other vapes, but we only use just over a Oz. between two full time pot heads with the Underdog. I haven't used the E-Nano or heat Island log vapes but I have heard nothing but good things about any of the log vapes. Go for a log vape.

11. Dude I really want that link I would love to have a 2nd log vape and I know a guy looking for a quality vape for a cheap price. Please give us this link. I was actually thinking about taking a ceramic soldering pencil and making buddy a log vape but this would be much easier.

12. #52 lwien, Jul 9, 2014
    VapeSeeker, If you're talking about the Vaporite, that vape is not made in the USA.   It is manufactured in China.   The ONLY part in the Vaporite VaproBros knock off that is made in the USA is the whip.  

Man, if you're going to come in here to spread you knowledge to prospective vaporizer purchasers,  PLEASE get your facts straight before you post.

13. Relatively new? My grandfather had a home made vape made out of a ceramic soldering pencil before I was born back in 1974. My great aunt on the other side of the family that never really knew the grandfather with the soldering pencil vape used a light bulb vape. My great aunt usually smoked joints and my grandpa still loves his corn cob pipe more than any other way of using weed, but they both had vapes 40+ years ago, vapes are not new. What is new is being able to buy high quality vapes at decent prices. The fact that they have become so efficient and sexy is new. Vapes have been around forever. When I was in high school my father actually purchased a whip vaporizer from the local headshop. The fucking thing cost around $150 I think it was in 1990 dollars! It was pretty much like those cheap ass whip vapes you can get on Ebay for $40, it got the job done but it didn't give you huge hits and it didn't really conserve weed any better than smoking. So what is new is the fact that so many companies make them now and the quality has gone up tenfold for sure, but make no mistake vaporizers are not a new thing at all. People have been vaporizing marijuana on hot knives for centuries and with soldering pencils and light bulbs for at least 50 years. Vapes ain't new.

14. I bought one of those Dragon Light Vaporizers as part of my wives birthday present. They are made in China I am sure but she loves it. She can get away with hitting in the ladies room at work and it fits nicely in her purse. She actually likes it better than the Magic Flight Launch Box it is copying because you don't have to strip the rechargeable AA batteries to use with it. There is a metal connector that touches the negative end of the battery and carries a charge to the device. She doesn't have to worry about stripped AA shorting out in her purse nearly as much with this cheap knock off.

LOL my dad bought a vape pretty much exactly like the Vaporite at our local headshop back when I was in high school around 1990. He paid around $150 for the piece of shit in 1990 dollars! The vapes available today are much better than those piece of shits. Those things are pretty much like the vapes my gandpa used to make by putting ceramic soldering pencils in bubble gum machines then use food grade hoses made for hot coffee for whips. In the 1960's when he started making them that was ingenious. In 2014 vapes basically made out of soldering pencils like the Vaporite are a joke.

16. I agree to a point but I think the Underdog is kind of the best of both worlds. You get as big of hits as your lungs can handle off tiny amounts of weed. I can get bigger hits off my Underdog than off my Extreme Q in bag or whip mode, or my Da Buddha. I love all of those vapes but the Underdog comes out on top every time. I know spend so much time promoting the glory of the Underdog that many of you must think I work for them or something but I don't. I just love the Underdog, the king of all vaporizers.

17. #57 lwien, Jul 9, 2014

Yet you are recommending the Vaporite which IS made in China.

There are TONS of guys making log vapes?   Who are these tons?    The ONLY logs that I know of that are currently in production is the Underdog, the HI and the E-Nano.

The only guy in Portland that I know of that used to make logs is Tom along with his wife, Pammy who made the Purple Days.     They closed shop about 3 years ago due to personal health issues.    The AromaZap, also a log vape,  founded and made by Rick which came after the PD is also out of business due to legal reasons.   Both of these vapes came from the Eterra which is also no longer being made.

For those of you waiting for a link to 100 dollar log vape may be waiting for a long time simply because I don't think it exists, let alone the TON of manufactures who make log vapes because they don't exist either.

While the current logs are very efficient vapes, the Purple Days still holds the record for the most efficient vape ever produced.   The newer logs though have their heat exchangers isolated from the outer wood core which is a better design than the PD in that you don't get that woody taste, as well as being that there isn't any internal charring going on, they are healthier as well as lasting longer.      After about 4 years of use, the PD's heat exchanger would begin to fall down into the log due to that internal charring taking place, but man, that vape was efficient.    5 hits from a mere 40th of a gram.

18. I think this vapeseeker is just stoned and talking out of his ass, which sucks because a $100 log vape sounds killer. Who hasn't gotten stoned and talked out of their ass a time or two? I know I do it all the time.

19. He was talking out his ass yesterday too, think he's just uneducated, and giving his knowledge out as be all and end all and fact when it really isn't. Even I know that, even with my limited experience, bit of research for 30 mins and you will know more than this guy tbh.

Yeah, but if you do that, than at least come back in here when you're not stoned and correct yourself.