Do You Wanna Talk About Sharks?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by AR Toasty, Jan 28, 2014.

1. In Cali they have this thing called fishtrack. Thry have ads for it on surfline. I think they geotag mako sharks and you can get a live gps feed of wherever theyre at. The only problem with this is that there are also great whites and i think tiger sharks around here. So it doesnt do all that much good. Tere are rarely any shark attacks here though so it doesnt even really make sense to check them with the forecast. The best method is to just read the user uploaded forecasts. People will say if theyve seen a shark that day.

Btw Toasty, wherent you in Bali recently?

2. Sharks are fucking badass! I'd never want to run into one though.

Side note- Deep blue sea was an awesome movie!

That's the best way to know - just to check surf report comments. I think they have something like 300 sharks tagged to tweet, but it's not like they're localized creatures. It's a cool system but far from all encompassing. West Oz is where the most attacks happen on the planet, and they've been pretty good about monitoring them up until this culling decision.

And hell yeah, mate. Was in Bali this past weekend. First time I've been in February and was legit despite it being the off season. Paddled out for dawn sessions and had the place mostly to ourselves. It wasn't pumping by any means but overall the best time I've had in Indo.

4. I did scuba with some smallish sharks in the Philippines once (about six foot long). At that size, they're not really a threat to people. I still felt intensely alive while I was doing it. They're very interesting to look at. 

5. How was it man? All ive seen is whats in the mags. Ive heard its all gnarly reef breake. Seems like a fucking trip.

6. Did you go diving? Was this in the barrier reef?

7. Some sharks don't eat humans, or so I've learned, that they actually find humans not pleasant to consume. However, they do attack if they feel like they've been put into a defensive position, either a kick of a swimmer/surfer or whatever it is. Still a bit scary though if you do come close enough with one.

Damn this is good to know especially when you go scuba diving. Thank god they are not localized.

9. I forgot I ever made this thread. But now that I've stumbled upon it, check this cool shark tracking website:

OCEARCH Shark Tracker

Tagged sharks ping when they surface, and you can see where they've been along with their profile. Anybody read about Nukumi late last year - tagged in Nova Scotia and called the OG of Whites - 50 years old, 17ft long, 3500 lbs. She a big, old girl. I just happened to click on her just now.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 8.06.28 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. I need to study up more on sharks cause I love sharks.

11. I Really Really Love an Respect All Sharks. They are Sooo Cool an Been Around on Earth a Really Long Times! I Love The Big Strong Great White Shark an Also The Hammer Head Shark Because it's Unique. Also The Nurse Shark an an Tigers Sharks too. My Favorite One Ever tho is The Whale Shark tho because it's The Biggest Shark there is but it Chooses To Be Kind an Nice an Gentle. It's Such a Beautiful Creature! :love::inlove:;wub:

~Toni~

12. 71969678_3071407856265283_8165473844698546176_o.jpg The Tax Man! That was a nice yellowfin...Canyons off the coast of Virginia.
    You get one maybe two fish to the boat per stop before the wolves show up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Speaking of sharks. Anyone here enjoy watching Shark Week?

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. #34 Dizzy, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021

My 2 Daughters Catch some of it every Year lol. It is Interesting AF an Like I said Sharks are Cool!!!

~Toni~

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Sharks are dope as fuck when I was on vacation in Florida I went to a beach & 2 dudes had caught 1.. I went over to look & he told me to stand back incase it lashed out :bolt::laughing:, safe to say I haven't been in the ocean/sea since :confused_2::laughing:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Hell yeah dude shark week is lit they always upload dope stuff on YouTube for it :hello::hello:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. I believe it's going to be on Discovery+ this year or something.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Sharks are pretty awesome and can stay right where they’re at.
    We catch at least one every time we go fishing usually 4-8 footers.
    It’s crazy going on the pier and seeing all the sharks around it while people swim 50 feet away.
    That’s why I no longer go in the ocean

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. My love affair with the ocean is too strong to be deterred by a fear of sharks. That said, there are times when you just get a weird vibe. Like, something about today just doesn't feel right.

To quote myself from 7 years ago:

• Creative Creative x 1
  20. My shark week keychain plush. And some random dolphin too. 20210323_210457.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1