vitamin water/lifewater

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by THEeric, Jan 27, 2014.

1. how do you guys feel about various water 'substitutes' like Vitamin Water or SOBE Lifewater or whatever else there is?  

related, how do you guys feel about gatorade? 

2. Sugar watee

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 fruitality, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014

i swish gatorade in my mouth in the gym because the sugar taste is supposed to trick your nervous system into higher performance

i spit it out after a couple of seconds because i dont need to put bullshit in my body.

4. Yea I'd say almost all "sports drinks" are a sham. It's easier to drink plain water. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. VItamin Water seems pretty solid to me though... definitely not a substitute for water but here:

Acai-blueberryy-pomegranate vitaminwater:
    Total Fat- 0
    Sodium- 0
    Potassium- t 
    Total Carbohydrate 28g
        Sugar 27g
    Protein 0

Vitamin A 20%
    Vitamin C 80% 
    Niacin 80%
    Vitamin B6 80%
    Vitamin B12 80%
    Pantothenic Acid 80%
    Manganese 20%

these vary by flavor too, I was drinking an orange flavored Vitamin Water yesterday that had zero sugar and much more Manganese.  With how much people in today's world lack Vitamins its hard to say that this is bad for you right?

here is a bottle of 'yumberry pomegranate; SOBE Lifewater:

Fat-0
    Sodium- 25mg
    Carbohydrate- 3g
     Sugar 0
    Protein 0

Vitamin C 100 %
    Vitamin E
    Niacin
    B6
    B12
    Pantothenic Acid all 10%

'Black and blueberry'

Fat 0
    Carbo- 8g
       Sugar 0
    Sodium 60 mg
    Protein 0

Vitamin C 250%
    Niacin 25 %
    Vitamin B6 25%
    B12 25%
    Pantothenic Acid 25%
    ----------------

i mostly stay away from Gatorade, but these also make good water bottles when you finish them :)

just because they advertise this stuff doesnt mean you should believe it.

think about these issues:

1. if there is 0 sugar, then what do they put in it to sweenten the drink?
    2. vitamins a,d,e, and k are fat soluble. 
    3. natural sources of micro nutrients are packaged with cofactors that help you digest. synthetic nutrients may not be bioavailable.
    4. synthetic vitamins sometimes are more toxic than natural source.

7. #7 THEeric, Jan 27, 2014

from the acai-blueberry-pomegranate vitwater:  
    ingredients: reverse osmosis water, crystalline fructose and cane sugar [so there is your sweeteners and 27g sugar], less than .5% of: citric acid, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), fruit and vegetable juice (color), natural flavors [?], berry and fruit extracts (apple, pomegranate, acai and blueberry), magnesium lactate and calcium lactate and potassium phosphate (electrolyte sources), vitamin b3 (niacinamide), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B12, manganese citrate, gum acacia.

honestly, i'd love if you could pick out negative and positives out of there.  i know about high fructose corn syrup but haven't heard anything about crystalline fructose.  cane sugar isn't that bad right? and i'm not too worried about the 27g when i am an extremely active person. you're saying since there is no fat in the drink then i am not even getting some of the vitamins in the drink? 

some of those definitely sound like synthetic vitamins which is concerning. definitely has the ascorbic acid, probably not in those levels...

8. You digest and absorb sugar as soon as it enters your mouth.

Enzyms in saliva actually start digesting sugar and starch before it is even swallowed.

So you are still putting that bullshit in your body.

The same is true of caffine/tobacco and some other things

9. Its not just corn syrup thats bad. In fact. They are finding out that the reason corn syrup is bad is because of the high fructose content.

10. #10 fruitality, Jan 27, 2014

so? whats your point?

11. Nothing really. Just wasnt sure if you knew that.
    If you put the gatorade in your mouth and spit it back out with the idea that you arent putting "shit" in your body, then you are mistaken. You get shit in your body.

That is all

i didnt know that 

but i doubt it's significant

13. #13 Cereal Killer, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    Enzymes in your saliva will start breaking down sugars in the mouth, but they're not absorbed until they reach the small intestine. Though with caffeine and nicotine, that's obviously another story. Nicotine easily absorbs through mucous membranes, such as with dip or snus.

'Water substitutes' is a tricky term, there's no good substitute for water. Sports drinks can have their place I feel, to replace sodium and potassium along with water that is lost. Good if you're working out very hard and sweating a lot, or losing fluids through vomiting or diarrhea, replacing the water that's lost but not sodium could eventually lead to hyponatremia. That being said, the majority of the time, water is just fine, and your body will have enough sodium and other electrolytes from the food you take in. People who sip Gatorade like water, will likely be enjoying kidney stones down the road. But with heavy perspiration or other fluid losses, water may not be enough alone. Just don't go Brawndo on 'em ;)

Vitamin Water, eh. I could dissolve a multivitamin into a Dr Pepper, would it be healthy? While they would be better than nothing of course for somebody with a mild vitamin deficiency, they are healthier, and cheaper, alternatives to get vitamins. You can put any label you want on it, a soft drink is a soft drink. The few extra ingredients don't take away from all of the sugar or artificial sweeteners in them.

14. probly not

15. u pretty much hit the nail on the head. Gatorade is great for replenishing electrolytes nd fluids during a workout but when ur sitting on the couch ur not losing that much fluids or electrolytes. I love to use gatorade when i workout it helps a lot if ur really pushing it. I have heard that vitamin water is mostly sugar water tho

16. I would prefer getting my vitamins from fruits and vegetables. Plus, vitamin water has a lot of sugar, I'm good off that..

17. Drinking lots of vitamin water or that mio shit makes my throat feel worse than a hard night of bong rips. I just remembered that dry feeling I used to get in my throat after drinking it, it's pretty fucked up now that I think about it.

18. It's all shit look at the ingredients.Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

19. Yo whats up guys? 

I wanted to rant about vitamins and since I didn't find a better thread to go about it I thought I might as well do it here. 

After years of daily Coke (cola :p ) abuse and junkfood almost every day I've been on a supplement trip for a couple of weeks and I can say I haven't felt this well in a long time. 

I started out with a megadose Vitamin D + Vitamin K experiment because I had a lot of digestive trouble and I was surprised how well it worked. I stopped taking megadoses and am currently taking Vitamin A, D, E, K, C, B1,3,6 and 12, Zinc, Magnesium and FishOil. 

It's pretty nice how much my skin and nails have improved. Physical activities are taken way better by my body now. 

Maybe I'll open a general Vitamins and Minerals discussion tomorrow or so.

Anyhow, I don't like Vitamin Water and all those drinks since as already mentioned they often pack a lot of simple sugars. I'd rather take the supplements as is in the best/purest/best absorbed form and if I have to drink a soda later on, rather than mix it all up.