10 reasons why being a young person right now sucks.

Discussion in 'General' started by TokinRose, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Eh, I'm gonna go ahead and play the devil's advocate. I'm 24, so I figure I'm still young enough to comment on the "younger generations." 

1) Six hours of homework... what?! I don't know what high school you go to/went to, but I've never spent that much time doing homework; not even when I procrastinated and had to catch up on assignments (which I always did). On a daily basis, I'd say the average amount of work given for at home was 30-60 minutes at most. The amount of time I spend doing homework at home (again, on average) was probably 1-2 minutes a day. 

2) I don't have anything to disagree with here. The schooling system is fucked.

3) Again, by my experience this isn't true. Of course, my school could be possibly be part of a minority, but taking AP classes was not "expected." But even so, high school isn't that hard... what till you're living on your own and working (it sounds like you're not there yet), much less supporting a family. You'll probably dream of the easy days back in school. So in retrospect, I don't see that taking AP classes--if you feel apt enough--would be that big a deal.

4) ...so, fuck it? Haha, I don't even have a smartphone. I have a Facebook simply because for a longest time I didn't even have any phone, so that was my only way to get in touch with people. Most of the "social media" stuff is just silly to me. If you like it, use it. If you don't, ignore it. But the fact that it exists doesn't make life any harder for this generation. 

5) Meh. In the "old days," kids got whipped. Nowadays, parents can find out whether or not their kid turned in an assignment, which results in their phone being taken away. Ooooooh. 

6) I work full time and pay for my part time college classes out of my pocket.  :confused_2:

7) So... smoke weed? Why would you want to get drunk a school dance anyway? When I was in school, nobody went to that shit. Just go to some person's house and get smashed, if that's your thing. 

8) I work in a factory. That's what my dad did. That's what my grandpa did. I don't know my great grandparents, but they probably did so too. On the other side of my family, that grandfather was a trucker. These laborious jobs are still in demand, and they often can lead to better things if you a good worker and educated. I landed an engineering job here without even having a degree. Granted, much of this type of work has been shipped overseas since my grandparents were on the workforce. Yet still, it's a neglected aspect of the economy.

9) I don't even know what a guidance counselor does? But I also don't see that as a reason to consider our generation to be any worse off... I don't think my parents or grandparents depending on guidance counselors.  

10) Ahh, I when people say modern music sucks. Much of it does, but that's because only the commercialized stuff gets media attention. There is a plethora of new, great music coming out every year. Even pop music. Look up Bjork. 

Anyway, most of those arguments are probably pretty weak. Like I said, I'm just playing the devil's advocate, mostly because I hate seeing people complain about "how hard it is" or something like that. Look at the big picture; look at your life compared to people in other parts of the word. Sure, we may have our hardships. But so does everyone else; that's just part of life. "Successful" people aren't lucky, they just managed to wipe off all the shit the world threw at them and trudge on. 

2. I was going to be a smart ass, but now that OP relieved she is both a girl and asian, I will agree with everything she says. 

3. I agree with a lot of what you said. DEFINITELY the music, I am very passionate about music and it is pretty sad to see how bad it has become. The mainstream is pretty much all just completely commercial sell out 'musicians', raking in their next paycheck.... Half of them don't even know how to play instruments anymore, since they only know how to auto-tune their vocals arghhh  :mad:

4. 15 or 16?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #25 LaCurandera, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

I concur entirely. I've never had a smartphone (a touch phone was fucked up enough), will avoid getting one as long as possible, I hardly use facebook anymore beyond sharing funny/interesting shit and catching up with people. 

* It seems to work for the easier, even, but it'll nevertheless turn the technology-dependent majority of our youth into mindless shitheads that can't do anything for themselves.

Fuckin' Stanhope will tell you how it is!  :cool:

6. Boo freaking who man. Life is what you make of it. IMO you will never be rewarded enough for putting in full nights of homework every night. Get into a decent college and have some fun too. It's about balance. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. My favorite is I can die for my country but yet I can't enjoy a beer...

8. There are many reasons that being a young person is undesirable. None of these are valid.I thought you were going to say something about the very real threat of a nuclear war, or that the world is becoming so polluted that you can't see anything but smog. Or maybe that there are more applications per job than ever before. Don't be a victim.

9. I think a problem with our school system is they teach every kid you have to go to a traditional college to be successful in life when that's far from the truth. Im not saying further education after high school is a bad thing but there are other routes you can take that will get you were you want to be in life.

10. \t10 reasons why being a young person right now sucks.

Original title is false.
    #5 is new. 10 years ago all that you mentioned is the same. so your problems are not "right now". tons of people had to put up with that shit for years.

and also #7 is false.
    You just don't know how to do it properly...
    and who the hell goes to school dances? LoL sorry. just funny.

11. #31 9xKitsun3, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    the 6 hours of homework makes sense now. :ey:

12. #32 fruitality, Jan 26, 2014
    theres a lot of jobs in this economy. the only unemployed people are the ones that didnt go to college or majored in anthropology or some other useless shit.

maybe instead of complaining about "life" you should rethink "yourself"

for example, maybe you have 6 hours of homework because you need to do your homework faster.

13. 1 reason why it doesn't suck..

you aren't OLD!

14. We get to watch the worlds financial system collapse in our life time, we arnt going to have pensions when we reach the retirement age after paying tax for 50 years.

Might even experience the resource war when the ice caps melt!

15. #35 Royal Vengeance, Jan 26, 2014
    1) Now 4 years in the real world.. I work 6 days a week and have a dog to feed. Sundays are my day off. My day off is used calling my stores to make sure they havent burned to the ground, getting yelled at by partners wondering why the sign spinner is getting $120 a week or why i ordered 2 extra bags of tobacco this week only to explain to them that THE CUSTOMERS JUST DIDNT BUY THE GODDAM SHIT THIS WEEK AIGHT? All day. The phone doesnt stop. I turn it off around 5 on sunday. Thats it. So ya. Ill take 6 hours of bullshit homework and 2 days off PLUS 4 vacations a year.
    \n2) I LITERALLY mix 5 different tobaccos a together a hundred times a day. and MOST working peoples jobs are repetitive. Reptitive shit is just human nature get used to it.
    \n3) I didnt go to college and im doing alright. Do whatever the hell you want to do who cares what your SUPPOSE to do.
    \n4) Just dont take part in social media never have and never will start a facebook lol
    \n5) This ones just a suck it up moment man. I used to ditch and never do homework. And i basically failed highschool because of it. 
    \n6) College costs so much that if you don't have rich parents to pay for your tuition, you will leave that place indebted to shits.
        This i actually i agree with you.
    \n7) It's way harder to get alcohol underage now than in the 70s for example. Also, the use of breathalyzers at school dances. enough said.
         If your under 21 you honestly dont need to be drinking. And thats coming from a 20yr old.My little brother got a girl pregnant last year and shes 16 weeks pregnant now.. My BEST FRIEND of 15years punched me in the face 2 new years ago, and a old buddy of mine first tried heroin whilst drinking so ya. Alcohols an adults drug.
    \n8) Remember.. looking back on all bleak economic times in america.. they were followed by some golden ass party years
    \n9) School "guidance" counselors are often responsible for 500 students. Guidance is in quotations because they don't actually have any time to guide you any more due to terrible state funding.
         I dont actually have much of a answer for this one besides my guidance counselor Ms Kelly is like the only adult i remember from highschool lol   
    \n10) Less serious, but still valid: a lot of modern pop music is terrible. Sure, it's fun to dance to, however, I would much prefer going to a concert and seeing someone actually play music. I don't want to pay $90 and see a semi-nude woman dance around while half singing to pre-recorded synth beats. I could get that for much less money at the local strip club. 
          Listen to better music. Thats on you. Not your generation lol
    \n\nBasically what im saying is stop blaming the world around you
    \nAnd everything up there is EXACTLY what i thought in highschool lol
    \nP.S The reason they teach you all the math youll never use in the real world is to help expand your brain PHYSICALLY like get it growing while its young and still building. So even though you may not retain that specific math info it did help your brain work more comprehensively in general.

16. I took 4 AP classes and had little to no homework from 10th-12th grade. I also got into every school I wanted w/o ever joining a club or doing shit. Maybe you're just bad at life?

17. Eh, the public school system nationwide has turned into a program teaching kids to spit out what they've been told and not to question it.  At least the college education I've had, you are actually expected to think critically.  It's a skill many new students have trouble learning.  Also, in the 70's the drinking age was 18 and about all young people drank.  If you're still in HS as it seems, you shouldn't be drinking anyway.  Smoke a bit every now and then and leave it at that.  And keep up with your shit!  You'll be thankful for having dealt with those AP classes once you get to college and actually have to think at an undergraduate level.  Take my advice kid, and you'll thank me for it later.

18. I think everything in this is correct. I know the online grade thing really fucked me over with my parents. The school gives them their own login id and password and if I ever got below a B on ANYTHING my parents would shit bricks. I would be grounded too. And the homework thing is true too. I would be lucky to get my homework done by 11pm especially since I was in sports. In my school, we actually have twiceas many AP teachers then we do regular teachers because it's becoming the norm to take those classes and honors. Or be a grade ahead in certain subjects. Around here, if you say you're in regular calculus, people will lecture you on how the AP class is the same thing just a little more homework and more fast paced.

19. fuckin first world problemsSent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. whats good about being a young person right now is its easier than ever to come to your senses and spot bullshit when you see it