my diy greenhouse idea

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by supa420, Jan 25, 2014.

1. I've had this old tent that has been sitting in my yard for the past year taking up space, so I was just gonna tear it down cuz it was full of holes, so I was sitting there smoking trying to figure out what to do then I thought what about turning it into a greenhouse, I've been growing for a few years but only in pots outside.
    The framework that I came up with came out better than I thought to just be put together without sketching it out.

I bent the tent poles to form a square frame and used duct tape to hold them together, then I used cinder block to support and surround the bottom and seal up the gaps. I bent some of the poles across to top to make a rouded roof and surrounded it all with chicken wire.

It measures about 4x3x4

Just a project I'm trying this year, looking for advice on whether I should use plastic to cover it or is the chicken wire good enough, I have a lot of clay in the soil around my house what are some good ways to amend that? I was planning on building a small garden box inside and taking a lil of the clay soil out or should I just dig the hole out a fill it with regular garden soil?

Just looking for some advice, whethet it's a good idea or not, things i can do to grow great plants,trying to get at least 6-8 plants in it, like I said this is my first greenhouse attempt

2. A chunk of poly plastic and some bricks or rocks to hold it down and you have a start.

3. Saw your plants they look great

can I get that from a hardware store

4. I personally like Green Mesh

Yea $5 will get you started. Try to use as much recycled materials as you can to keep cost down.

Im looking to build a big ass greenhouse with a chicken coop and nice enough I can heat it and add lights in the winter. I have one thats 7 x 7 x 12 from amazon but a wind storm fucked it all up.

My woman has been drafting up plans for the big passive solar greenhouse.

6. That would be a nice setup, couldn't do that with my limited space.

Thanks for the tip about the green mesh it would also add a lil camouflage.

Only smokers can be that creative

7. #7 ArnoldShortman, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    I built my 12X10 PVC GH for a little over a 100 bucks.

Word of advice if you plan on growing in the GH every year then I would suggest getting real greenhouse film. Construction poly will last you 6 months and a year if you are lucky (this goes double if you live in a desert area that gets lots of sun). Since it is designed to breakdown easily at the dump and isn't built of UV bombardment.

8. the green shade covering kind? I wanna make a small greenhouse also and was also wondering what to use around the outside for covering.