Sourcing Organic Soil Mix Components

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Jerry

Here's something else that might work - send an email because websites often aren't updated as often as we might like. I've heard from a couple of people that Worm Power is being very aggressive in their marketing and distribution. 

According to their website only 1 nursery supplier carries their products but in fact there are 5 companies. Just as an example.

$20.00 for 1 c.f. 

CC

2. I was at a local hydro shop yesterday the guy was telling me his warm power guy is pushing hard on the castings he's letting them sell it on consignment

3. hey JP
    I just talked to the worm power guy for New York State seems pretty cool if you want I can give you his number he said he would be more than happy to put some worm power in some of your local hydro shops

2 or 3 years ago the company got a big cash infusion from USDA which allowed them to expand in a big way. Sounds like they have a lot of vermicompost to move which is a good thing given the quality from their operation.

Largest in the Western Hemisphere according to NY Times, Wall Street Journal, et al.

5. Yea if you could that would be great id love to have a good ewc company stocked locally as right now I'm using black gold and now sure of their quality..

Check out my first grow journal any advice is appreciated💨🌲

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1333871-my-first-grow-journal.html#entry20652333

You don't want their products for your garden...

CC

JPHetz

Black Gold is the consumer product line from Sun Gro Horticulture (Sunshine Mix, etc.) and their 'worm castings' are without merit. They buy this material from Canadian operations. My price for a single tote (1 c.y.) is only $125.00 and that is about 10x what they're worth.

This stuff is what the grow store bagged potting soils include - Roots Organic, Fox Farms, Vital Earth, etc.

'nuff said...

CC

8. Unfortunately that's all that was available to me but I only bought a small bag and mixed it all when I need more I'll be getting my hands on worm power without a doubt I'm waiting on a call back from Dan about getting it in my local shops.. Will it be ok to use this as its already mixed in my first soil mix that's already cooking

Check out my first grow journal any advice is appreciated💨🌲

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1333871-my-first-grow-journal.html#entry20652333

No problem using Black Gold worm castings - it's just not anything close to other products like Worm Power and a handful of others.

Get some kelp meal into your mix and apply enzyme teas every week or so and you'll be fine. 

HTH

CC

10. You'll do fine......

11. Good news on Worm Power being more aggressive on their pricing. I was starting to get disappointed in their rising prices. While its a fantastic vermi product there comes a stage where one might not want to buy it at some of the rates I've seen.

Very good news.

J

12. I'm in Nashville for a week. Anyone know any place to get some good worm castings around here?

Thanks

Solo

13. I tried buying cocoons off of them several times but they were always out of them.

J

14. I'm about to head to their farm next week to check out ~20-30gallons of castings to hold me over until I'm able to harvest mine; I'll try to remember to ask what the deal is with their cocoons. I also requested a more recent analysis of their castings.

15. "I am sorry but I don't have a more recent analysis.  I still use the same methods and materials (sphagnum peat, dolomite lime, shredded paper, and chicken feed) so the nutrients should still be similar to 2009."