Sourcing Organic Soil Mix Components

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Ok now I get what you were gettin at lol. Sorry wet. I'm stoned :D hope yer havin a nice sunday mornin, bud :wave:

TJ

2. The largest composting worm is the African Nightcrawler (Eudrillus eugeniae) which average 6" - 8" but 10" isn't uncommon.

Given their temperature requirements it's close to impossible to keep them if your temps drop much below 70F - I know of 2 worm operations nearby that lost their ass trying to produce them for salmon & steelhead fishermen.

The larger size also give you the largest worm castings possible though size has absolutely nothing to do with viability, it's just that they won't get muddy like smaller castings are prone to do.

CC

3. Where do yall source pumice from?

4. Need some organic supply stores in the Orange/Dutchess county NY area any help?? I've been sourcing from local hydro supply stores but prices seem a little high I know of there are any organic stores ppl know of.. Any help is appreciated read a bunch and all I find thru the links are like 100 miles away...

Check out my first grow journal any advice is appreciated💨🌲

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1333871-my-first-grow-journal.html#entry20652333

5. Why dont you give the Cornell University County Extension Office a call. I've no doubt they'll be able to help with organic gardening supplies -

(845) 677-8223

http://www.ccedutchess.org

Your local county extension office is there for YOU - use them! To heck with hydro stores.

Good luck.

J

Good advice! Cornell University basically invented horticulture as we know it today...

The Cornell Mix is one good example, circa 1938

7. Being in "mid-state" NY, "JPHetz" is also a prime candidate to be taking advantage of Worm Power vermicompost.

JPHetz, take a look here - http://www.wormpower.net/us/buy/#.VFUFEqb3bCQ

You live reasonably close to one of the finest and by far the largest Vermicompost production facilities in the entire United States. One of the main ways that Worm Power distributes they're very fine product is they sell large bales to retail stores and garden centers which then break it down into smaller bags for The consumer to purchase. If you try and buy their worm castings directly from them it will be expensive but take a look through the link that I gave you and find someone close to you that repackages & sells them.

If you were to add this at the rate of 25% to 35% to some Pro Mix and ten add a few basic soil amendments such as Kelp Meal, Crab or Shrimp Meal, some organic Neem Cake and perhaps some palletized chicken manure (Chickity Doo Doo, Stutzmanns, etc), you would be well on your way to never spending your $$ in those hydros stores again.

I would use a mix like I just described and be perfectly happy using it. We know that you can find the Worm Power vermicompost because of where you live, Pro mix is very easy to come by at any Home Depot, Lowes or local garden center and I have no doubt that you can find those simple basic soil amendments almost anywhere. If for some reason you do have an issue finding the soil amendments locally, then go to "buildasoil.com" and for cheap money you can pick up what you need.

It really doesn't matter where you live these days - I guarantee that you can come up with these few basic items and could soon be growing very healthy plants in the described soil.

J

8. Well thanks to pak I was able to put together a good mix with Canadian sphagnum peat moss, my local shop had ewc and Alaskan humus. And than I went to a feed supply and picked up kelp meal, bone meal, fish bone meal pumice and I'm waiting for them to get in my alflalfa meal and neem cake meal Monday or Tuesday and and I got some glacial rock dust got most of the ingredients cooking already will add the last 2 p ce I pick them up.. But thanks jerry I will definitely see where I can pick up the worm power and mix that in my next batch

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1333871-my-first-grow-journal.html#entry20652333

9. I would listen to Jerry quality earthworm castings are important I'm sure they're better than what you got at the hydro store

10. FWIW, "alaskan humus" is nothing more than sphagnum peat moss under a different name. I wouldn't consider it compost or a "humus" component for potting soil. I'd look for some Coast of Maine bagged compost since you are in the NE. Another +1 on the worm power vermicompost. That stuff is da shit.

:pun:

TJ

11. There's a place about 35 minutes from me that listed on the worm power site I'll be picking up some of that in the very near future

TJ

The co-author of Teaming With Microbes (Wayne Lewis) is the owner of Alaska Humus. This peat moss & rock dust combination is sold under several names - Denali Gold, Alaska Magic, GO Ancient Forest and of course Alaska Humus and a handful of private labels.

Friggin' worthless as far as a 'humus source' - VOE

CC

13. would alaska humus be good for the spm portion of a soil? Ie. If i dont want to mix a bale of premier spm is a bag of Alaska humus good for a small batch of soil?

dczaster

Yes it would. Since I haven't seen this material in a long, long time you might want to evaluate the SPM part and if it's really a small size adjust for that with aeration amendments so that your potting soil mix doesn't get too muddy.

CC

15. A quick piece of advice regarding Worm Power vermi - since they sell the great big pallet/bales to retailers who then repackage and sell at whatever rate that they decide, there is a very wide price spectrum for this product. I've bought these castings from one place where the pricing was just fine and then tried another where the price was just ridiculous.

Take a few minutes and make a few phone calls. Just sayin'... And good luck. I'm quite sure that you'll thoroughly enjoy the product.

J

16. I've actually called all the places they list on their site who are supposed to have it and none of them do so my only option for worm power vermo is directly through their site unfortunately..

17. Jp
    Ask your hydro shop to carry it

18. Ugh - last I remember the prices on their website were so high that I wouldn't buy them.

Have you tried Build a Soil dot com?

J