Clones taken during flowering.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mrjimbodangles, Jan 21, 2014.

1. My two plants are into the end of the fifth week of flowering and I want to take some clones. 

Is this too late to take a few bottom branch cuttings, or should I let it be?

The bottom branches are shaded and only have a few pistils growing out of the nodes.  This bud is a indica/sativa blend and smells like skunk ass and sweet perfume

I am kinda kicking myself right now because I definitely want to keep this strain going.

I would like to hear from those who have taken clones this late into flowering and have five or more growing seasons under the belt.

Of course all comments are welcomed.

2. Sorry I know you wanted expert advice, but couldn't you just re/veg?

3. It'll work just fine as long as there are green leaves still attached. Just takes longer.

4. #4 corkybuchek, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    let it be, lower branch clones from flowering plants can usually do really well.

Then if any thing happens to your flower's later in bloom you will have good fresh (and uber-branchy) clones ready to go. 

5. You should leave the Leaves until your done flowering then Re-Veg the plant. That way your not putting your poor Mother under stress which will HIGHLY affect your yield. Treat your plant like it's your child. 

6. I've cloned plants in bloom before and they ...... ......opp's sorry...only 2 years experiance ....I'll post the answer in 3 years for ya ;)

7. [quote name="Ethnicity" post="19383651" timestamp="1390359533"]You should leave the Leaves until your done flowering then Re-Veg the plant. That way your not putting your poor Mother under stress which will HIGHLY affect your yield. Treat your plant like it's your child. [/quote]I can't figure out what you are trying to say here.OP, take the cuts I've gotten them to root at 8 weeks in before.Mj

My good friend who is an experienced grower (He's a dealer and he's grown for 5 years) has told me that if you only trim off a few of the buds and keep most of the leaves and foliage intact, you can revert your plant back into the Veg stage with a specific light cycle and THEN clone the plant. I usually get my clones to root right before I flower so I wouldn't have to do that but still, he seemed to have a solid point. 

9. #9 corkybuchek, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    it's not exactly 100 percent true. The new shoots will come out of the buds, so cutting buds off the clone won't help. However, once the first shoots with new leaves are growing, trimming the side buds off (without damaging the new shoot if possible) does seem to speed things a long  a bit

10. You can take clones late into flower. Its harder on the clones to root since they have to revert to veg so expect to lose more then normal. The first time I took cuttings that late only 8 of the 16 I cut survived granted I was still n00b at the time but I was to the point that I thought they were all goong to die. Just took them a whole month before they were fully rooted and back in veg.

• Like Like x 1