Terence McKenna On How To Use Cannabis

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Thejourney318, Jan 20, 2014.

1. #1 Thejourney318, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYjkxotJL9A

"I think the real way to do cannabis is like once a week, by yourself, in silent darkness, with the strongest stuff you can get. And then immense amounts of it."

He goes on to describe that, done that way, it is far more than a recreational drug. Alluding to these incredible states you can reach.

Now, first of all keep in mind that he himself did not actually stick to this, as he alludes to early in the video. He's admitted on multiple occasions to smoking massive amounts regularly. 'I've never known, or even heard of really, anyone smoking as much as I do' is a quote from him. Another 'I like to smoke cannabis as many hours of every day as I possibly can.'

So I'm just thinking of the logistics of it. As of late I have been smoking every day, sometimes quite a few times a day on my days off. And I smoke a good amount, sometimes more sometimes less. I'm picturing myself cutting my smoking back to once or twice a week. Say I were to cut it to once a week, that would mean I could smoke like 20+ times my normal amount in that session and be smoking what I normally do in a week, lol. Now, smoking 40+ bowls is pretty absurd seeming. But it's the approach I think he's referring to, approaching it as a real entheogen.

So you limit it to that once or twice a week, and then when you smoke you just absolutely bombard yourself with massive amounts smoked in a short period. And then you meditate in silent darkness. Now I could see how that could potentially lead to a fundamentally different experience, tapping into some serious entheogenic/spiritual potential. Can you really take your experience of cannabis completely to another level with this method?

What say you on this idea?

2. I think Carl Sagan said the same thing.. and I would agree with them. Habitual use can have negative side effects. Like I smoke before I go to bed most nights and rarely, if ever, dream. I cut back at night now and want to start working it in to where I can smoke and still dream, but if I weren't so damn bored I would cut it back to socially, like once a week.

Got to think, if you cut it back to once a week, your tolerance won't be as high as daily and it really wouldn't take massive amounts to get you stoned. Could easily get super baked then.. but it'd be a slippery slope back to habitual..

3. I gotta admit, I have a hard time having weed and not smoking it. Lol. I can go without weed fine(though I haven't been much recently), but when I'm just sitting at home and I have weed it's like why the fuck not smoke it lol. I was just also thinking of how reduced frequency of smoking would allow me to feel free to smoke as much as I want when I do smoke, and still end up smoking at the same or less of a rate. Curious to try taking some time off, then smoking a shit ton and doing the quiet darkness thing, as McKenna recommends. See if it really creates that much more of an experience.

4. for spiritual purposes, its better to quit weed altogether. dont rely on an external substance to raise your vibration. it will reveal some new experiences, but youll realize meditation in a sober state will not be appealing anymoreSent from my iPhone.

5. I think that he is correct for sure if you wanted to use weed as a spiritual growth tool.. But like kylekumar said, this will take the appeal out of sober meditation..

6. Lots of edibles on low tolerance could be crazy for a noob in darkness

• Like Like x 2
  7. Whatever "side effects" you're having, don't blame mary. It is merely the state of your being that needs attention.

• Like Like x 2
  8. #8 Reefer Sutherland, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with T Mc  I see at as a essentially a tool/medicine for connecting to the original cosmic self. so if your intention is to heal and tap into your power and intuition etc then you`re best just cutting off all external distractions and plunging within to observe and explore. Of course it can be painful, but if you wanna evolve and mature then you`ve gotta deal with that stuff rather suppress/deny/numb yourself to it [which is what our culture promotes].

9. [quote name="Marx" post="19382830" timestamp="1390351952"]I think that he is correct for sure if you wanted to use weed as a spiritual growth tool.. But like kylekumar said, this will take the appeal out of sober meditation..[/quote]Not true at all, this would only be a temporary thing.Monks smoke all kind of mind altering substances to help meditate so I think nothing is wrong with proper utilization of bud.Going back to sober meditation, I have first hand experience on this. A t break will bring you back to normal. Believe me dude.~1996 Jiggawattz~

10. [quote name="kylekumar" post="19381493" timestamp="1390336739"]for spiritual purposes, its better to quit weed altogether. dont rely on an external substance to raise your vibration. it will reveal some new experiences, but youll realize meditation in a sober state will not be appealing anymoreSent from my iPhone.[/quote]What if you used weed sort of like training wheels for meditation and after you really learn how it works for you, while your blowed, then you start meditating sober?Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 homestarstoner, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
    [quote name="ChiefSpaceTreez" post="19399218" timestamp="1390592229"]What if you used weed sort of like training wheels for meditation and after you really learn how it works for you, while your blowed, then you start meditating sober?Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]you can use marijuana to teach you how to be in the present with a quieted inner voice. it can help. but making progress in meditation requires a clear mind that external substances dont offer

12. Im talking about for someone who might smoke weed daily and have had no experience in meditation.. Of course  it is still possible, but could possibly be much easier if you had trained at a sober state before diving into altered states of consciousness.

Again this is just my opinion, I'd say it would be possible either way but for most people I think the pot acts as more of a crutch than a tool. 

13. You know, I think I may actually try this. For the first time ever, I've actually had the thought run through my head like I could quit smoking weed, like at times it seems pointless. Recently I've just been high all the time, except when working. I was considering not smoking for a while. Then I thought the once a week thing would be a good compromise. I could at least try out what McKenna talks about.

In some ways, not smoking can be good for me. It's like, I fall into the certain joys that go with smoking weed. And when I don't smoke weed, I try to make up for that in other ways. I often meditate more, and just develop and pursue other interests and possibilities more than when I'm just smoking weed.

Perhaps limiting my use in that way could make the experience more 'magical.' Or maybe I'll just keep smoking daily like I have been. Who knows. lol.

14. What the hell is an 'external substance'? External to what?

Well, if you don't take cannabis, it's unlikely your body will produce the same amount of THC on its own. So in this case, external to YOU.

16. [quote name="LightAnother" post="19403321" timestamp="1390642451"]What the hell is an 'external substance'? External to what?[/quote]external to your body.... wtf u think?Sent from my iPhone.

17. Well the substance isn't external when you are using it. To be high the THC has to be internalised. It's an internal reaction, not an external one.

18. #18 homestarstoner, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
    [quote name="LightAnother" post="19414493" timestamp="1390804173"]Well the substance isn't external when you are using it. To be high the THC has to be internalised. It's an internal reaction, not an external one.[/quote]external substances are substances that you physically have to ingest. THEN it becomes internal and the reaction takes place. before you ingested it, it was an external substance. Sent from my iPhone.

19. First off, though a contributor to creativity and neuro activity, at least the THC component. There is a good argument to make that it should not be used in any other fashion than other sensory stimulating psychoactive drugs like caffeine. Though some people do drink too much coffee, And realistically it's probably more dangerous to drink too much coffee. But the obvious tolerance mechanism suggests it isn't necessarily meant to be used in a way similar to LSD where the tolerance mechanism is strong and fast acting. I do think using the endocannabinoid receptor as a daily dopamine regulator is probably a great deal safer than anti depressants or a whole spectrum of medication. However biodiversity and personal outlooks should be the main dictator for a healthy relationship with cannabis, If you think about it, Mckenna was an artist more than anything, an incredibly intelligent artist. Intelligent people tend to be prone to depression and anxiety.

• Like Like x 2
  20. My problem. My life. Weed makes even staring at a wall less boring, and I have no friends and nothing to do when I'm not at work or college (unless HW), so I'm often bored soooo usually whenever I'm home, I'm high lol. Perhaps habitual use isn't healthy, but so are many things in this world and my habitual use of cannabis is certainly much better than cigarettes or alcohol IMO.