PRs organic garden of weed and other living things

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Pink, Jan 20, 2014.

It does have the screws :hello: I'm so bad :rolleyes: Is the carbon dust going to fly all over the basement if I do it inside? It really is heavy, I much rather take it out by parts. I still didn't buy new filters 420, but those you use just so damn expensive... How often do you replace the cartridges in them?

2. :laughing: :laughing: you sure your just not disguised as an obsessed gardener. ;)

Me - sure, him I like to keep guessing ;) Rarely hurts to keep a man unsure (read - motivated) :p lol

4. If you take it apart indoors it's gonna be dusty for sure. I have to replace them every 3 mths. At $90 for each box, it's pricey, but they're easy to replace and 10 times lighter.

I ran my other CAN filter for around 16 mnths before I replaced it, but it was one of the huge ones. 2' tall by 12-14" across. I wanna say that was a couple hundred bucks. Either way works,
    But your right this way is def more $$ anyway you look at it.

That's the one I have, 2ft tall fat CAN. I was mounting it on a ceiling using chains and hooks, somehow lifted it up and put it on my shoulder, walked up on the ladder, and dropped the hook on the floor :cry: lol. Good times...I still have a couple of days to decide which way to go. But I'm defo on a budget, holidays made a huge dent in a wallet :p

6. Thanks cryptachronic and welcome aboard :D Not growing now would be killing me, I hope you have it sorted out soon!

7. I'm hoping to discuss it tonight and sprout some beans starting tonight. Curious though...how would vegging inside and taking the outside to flower when spring hits do for me? Have two grows thst way. Veg for a LONG time before spring, then flower 2-3 outdoors, and also veg a few indoors for my flower box. Opinion?JOURNAL- http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1252916-Bagseed-and-me...the-boba-fett-trialsNAME THAT STRAIN- http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1265559-Indentifying-strain"]http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1265559-Indentifying-strain

8. Hmmm a hot, obssessed-gardener-pothead? Doesn't sound too bad lol.Lmao I got a free sample of that stuff too and totally forgot to use it... I also picked up the small black lava rock from bas. The soil looks awesome without perlite.. although lava from the landscaping co is probly just as good.I'd like to invest in one of those mortar pans.. everyone seems to like them. I'm using some rubbermaid bins... a little expensive for my liking.

I really don't know. Here is the tool which you can use to see when you'll have more than 12 hours of light day in your area http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=77. Seems like you personally could hit that spot in April. You can always cover your plants with the huge cardboard box and make a night time longer that way. Just a couple of ideas but I really don't know how it would work outside. I think autos are your win-win, honestly. They'll be fast, they'll stay compact and they won't care about a light schedule indoors or out. Good luck with the convo!

lol. Yeah, all their products look great actually, and the shipping was lightning fast too. I just wish they were closer to me. I kind of felt bad ordering 50 lbs of stuff with free shipping across the country, so I didn't buy any more than I absolutely needed. Excited to get that freeze-dried aloe from them soon, should be a piece of cake to use.

I wanted something shallow for a pan, so I don't end up using a cu.ft of perlite. 20 gal smart pot sits on that mortar pan just right. I saw the big bins (not RubberMaid, but similar) at a dollar store recently, for about 5 bucks a bin with the lid. The colors were neon though, so I passed :p

Welcome aboard Leafy! Hope you'll enjoy the thread and a company :)

When starting plants early you must wait until the daylength is 14hrs or more to move the plants outside or your plants will start to flower in the low daylength, then by June will reverse back to veg if light deprevation techniques are not used.  This will not let the plant reach it's full potential because it will reverse and then have to start flower initation over for the fall harvest.  To avoid this problem move the plants outside after the daylength is over 14 hours.    If you want a spring harvest you will have to keep the daylength at 12/12 by shading when the light increases above 12 hours/day.

Pointswest

12. #56 Pink, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014

Thanks a lot Pointswest! + rep...And thank you for stopping by :)

yeah as has been mentioned definitely an outside operation. i had to cut the rivets off of mine, Mountain Fresh/ Mountain Air is the brand. i replaced the rivets with bolts and refilled mine. basic steel mesh can with a fine polyester sock material inside to hold the smaller particles of carbon.

real pain in the ass to do but still cheaper than replacing it. i ordered a 55lb bag of activated carbon and had maybe 10-15lbs left over after refilling. you can use up the old stuff in your organic mix also as it offers great aeration/drainage and microbe growth sites.

i'm hoping to get 3 years out of it, i got 3 out of it new and now i have also added a cold spark coronal ozone generator to the exhaust line, it vents to the outside and smells like clean mountain air. :smoke:

14. Al, does that old carbon need to be "charged" prior to use in a soil mix, so that it doesn't adsorb nutrients from the soi? I know you have to do this when you make fresh bio-char.

15. well i guess it wouldn't hurt per say. i would, just in case although i don't seem to be having a problem with out pre soaking. i would think it hinges on just how spent your carbon is and what it was used for i.e. fresh water aquarium carbon would be ideal, 2-3 year old grow room carbon probably ok as that's what mine is. carbon "adsorbs" and not absorb so spent carbon is pretty efficient at becoming clogged up with many molecules whether air or water use.