Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Husband has cancer, dont know where to find weed in VA

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by merrymarch, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Hello everyone,
    My husband was diagnoised with stage 4 Esphageal cancer  from acid reflux.  He would like to try marijuana and even has a Doctors letter from Dr. Yang, head of Thoracic at Johns Hopkins okaying it, but we live in Virginia Beach, and have not tried to get any since the 1980s! Tried calling a number on Craigslist, but they wanted us to wire money to Turkey.  Can anyone help us?  I wish it was legal, but if my husband wants it, I will try to get it for him but I am 5ft tall in my mid 40s with kids and have no idea how to get it.  I can provide proof if anyone wants to help us but is afraid of this being a trick.

Sincerely

Mary

2. #2 corkybuchek, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    order some seeds, and start a garden. Beside's some one close to you who would provide what you need. Getting the right medicine is difficult because of cost, as well as the quality details (pesticide/fungicide use, and what form the medicine is in whether raw, cured, or not compressed etc.). Starting from seed and choosing a high THC variety are good ways of ensuring quality. CBD will also be useful and commonly found in regular seeds (not feminized).

get a 400 or 100 watt grow light. You can start having your husband eat fan leave's right from a few weeks after the plants sprout and are established.

3. virginia is not a medical state, so youre going to have to find a dealer, or move. cancer is a qualifying condition in every medical state. 

4. If you have the money to move I would do so, try to find a dealer.. maybe your kids can help?

5. Since you are not in a mmj state, you may want to look in to purchasing CBD extracts which are legal to purchase in all states. I'm not an expert on the subject, but hopefully someone on here who is can give more information. Here is a video that will hopefully be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppsSBxjJgzI

6. #6 MajorStoner, Jan 20, 2014
    Get out of Virginia.

For the sake of your husband's health and your freedom you should move to CO, OR, WA, or CA.

Virginia has terrible cannabis laws, you WILL go to prison with plants.  They have NO mmj program, and will not for many years.
    VA doesn't even have good black market weed.

Seriously, consider moving to Oregon for 3 months and getting your husband a course of cannabis oil to CURE his cancer.  There are compassionate centers set up in connection with motels, Doctors, and caregivers to provide everything you need.

Edit: ^^^Don't trust those CBD extracts, a simple Google search will show you their sources are dubious at best and the companies producing them are purely profit-driven (they're selling garbage as gold).

7. #7 corkybuchek, Jan 20, 2014
    For CBD's, The hemp seed from canada will work. It also contains Alpha Linolenic acid, Omega 3 which "recharges" cannabinoid receptors after they are spent with THC. What you really need is the hempseed for ingestion and a High THC cultivar for medication. Like I said one or two of the phenotypes in a regular Hybrid 10 pack of seed will contain higher CBD content.  

Unless I am mistaken you can also look to Massachusetts for a place to buy your grow light and seeds, the main expenses for the grow IMHO. Good luck.

8. Sweetie, I know this sounds awful, but if your kids are in high school, ASK THEM! I work at a school in California, and even the 7th graders know who to ask! I don't expect the 7th graders in Virginia to be as familiar with cannabis as the ones in California, but by the time a kid gets to high school, they usually know who to ask, even if they would never even think of using it!

Failing that, go back to school! Night classes, or an art or yoga class at the local community college. (Yoga might help you "de-stress", too!) Then just look for the "stoner's table" in the lounge or cafeteria! I moved to a town where I knew absolutely no one. I enrolled and it took 2 weeks of chatting up the kids and get invited to a party. Made a connection there that continued until the sweet girl graduated! I was 55 at the time, so your age is no excuse!

Now, let's get down to business!  Get comfy, this is going to be long! You don't know me, but I am a "brain", and I have made a rather extensive study of cannabis. I'm 66, and I try to back everything I say up with studies.  I'm going to walk you through a whole mess of heavy-duty science and give you references for most of it. I'll try to keep it simple as I can- I know you are under a lot of stress and likely don't feel like slogging through a mess of "sci-speak"!  (And FYI- it is against the GC rules to directly ask for a "hook up" for cannabis.)

You know about the circulatory  system and the digestive system, but you may not know about the endocannabinoid system. It is a messaging system in our bodies. Scientists are still figuring out how it all works, but basically a cannabinoid, like THC, or anandamide that your body makes, fits into a chemical receptor on, or in, a cell, like a key in an ignition switch. And then something happens- in the case of cancer cells, it often sets off a process called apoptosis, which results in the death of the cancer cell! 

That is the usual (but not only) way that cannabinoids kill cancer.  The chemical receptors that cannabinoids activate are called CB receptors- there are several types, but I'm going to focus on the two main types, the CB1 and CB2 receptors. Now, your body is constantly making these tiny receptors every time a new cell is made. But there is a problem... dud receptors. 

They are there, but not hooked up properly, so they just don't function! The cannabinoid's message doesn't make it into the cell! The "average American diet" is a "set-up" for disease, including cancer! Here's what happens- when the receptor is being made, the receptor doesn't get attached right to the next piece, the Gi/o effector protein. To connect them you need Omega 3, and the average diet is WAY low in Omega 3! 

Here is the first study I found referencing this effect- they were just looking at  CB1s and the mental effects, though.  (n-3 PUFAs = Omega 3,

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.    (abst – 2011)           http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21278728

The corollaries of the obesity epidemic that plagues developed societies are malnutrition and resulting biochemical imbalances. Low levels of essential n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFAs) have been linked to neuropsychiatric diseases, but the underlying synaptic alterations are mostly unknown. We found that lifelong n-3 PUFAs dietary insufficiency specifically ablates long-term synaptic depression mediated by endocannabinoids in the prelimbic prefrontal cortex and accumbens. In n-3-deficient mice, presynaptic cannabinoid CB(1) receptors (CB(1)Rs) normally responding to endocannabinoids were uncoupled from their effector G(i/o) proteins. Finally, the dietary-induced reduction of CB(1)R functions in mood-controlling structures was associated with impaired emotional behavior. These findings identify a plausible synaptic substrate for the behavioral alterations caused by the n-3 PUFAs deficiency that is often observed in western diets.

Here's an article on that study-

Omega-3 deficiency disrupts cannibinoid receptor function in brain        (news – 2011)
    http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/omega-3-deficiency-disrupts-cannibinoid-receptor-function-in-brain/1347465

Now getting too little Omega 3 combined with too much Omega 6 has been implicated as a risk factor in several very different cancers- (you don't really need to read these- they are just to make the point)

Long-chain n-3-to-n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid ratios in breast adipose tissue from women with and without breast cancer.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12416257

Fish oil's fatty acids provide surprising benefits to lung cancer patients  http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-fish-oil-fatty-acids-benefits.html

Omega-3 Fatty Acids Reduce Risk Of Advanced Prostate Cancer http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090324131444.htm

Which makes perfect sense- if you are producing a lot of dud receptors because you are low in Omega 3, your odds of that cancer cell not getting the "apoptosis" message, go up!  Cells "go rogue" all the time, but are usually killed off by our body's defenses like the endocannabinoid system. Cancer is just one of the things that can happen when we have a failure in our defense systems. (just the short abstract)

The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

Here's a nice chart on oils-

Good Oils and Fatty Substances http://www.math.ucsd.edu/~ebender/Health%20&%20Nutrition/Nutrition/oil_good.html

Since your hubby has cancer, get him krill oil. The pills are smaller and supposedly are easier to digest. (Dudes, if you are fairly healthy stick to fish oil- less damaging to the ecology) Another thing he should be taking is natural vitamin E (D Alpha tocopherol- NOT DL Alpha tocopherol). Yes, our bodies can tell the difference. I used to know a red-headed gal who could tell the difference by just rubbing a little on her skin. The synthetic would cause a rash on her skin, the natural vitamin E didn't. A lack of vitamin E can affect your levels of Omega 3.

Vitamin E deficiency decreases long-chain PUFA in zebrafish (Danio rerio).
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22013196

Start eating a natural diet, if you aren't already. Wild caught fish and grass-fed beef still have Omega 3 in them. Farm-raised animals are fed a diet based on corn (no Omega 3). Lemon Grass tea is rich in a cancer fighter called Limonene and tastes good.  (again, you don't have to read this- the title says enough)

Induction of apoptosis by D-limonene is mediated by inactivation of Akt in LS174T human colon cancer cells.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23117412

Beyond that, I'm not going to lecture you on nutrition, you can learn that anywhere, hon. 

OK, that covers the endocannabinoid system, now on to cannabis.

Just smoking cannabis isn't going to cure your husband. It simply doesn't deliver enough THC and CBD. What apparently does work is a concentrated form called RSO, Rick Simpson oil, or Phoenix oil. You need to run a search for the video Rick Simpson's  "Run From The Cure", to learn more about it.  And hon, to be honest, there are no guarantees with RSO. But, at the very least, it eases many ofthe problems that come with chemo, and cancer, and that on it's own is a blessing. This post on RSO will interest you-

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana-usage-applications/1130359-tumors-really-shrinking.html#post16220325

Now, I know there is no way in hell you are going to be able to make a big batch like Rick does. Even in a MMJ state, getting that much together is expensive!  But I have 2 alternative ways to make small batches-

Making a Small Batch of Hemp Oil~ Easy Peasy!     (recipe – 2009)
    https://www.greenpassion.org/index.php?/topic/16471-making-a-small-batch-of-hemp-oil-easy-peasy/

And the other is another video- Shona Banda's "Live Free or Die" She has an interesting story to tell along with the instructions. She makes it one capsule at a time, which is about as "small batch" as you can get.

Well, I think that covers it, hon. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Granny

9. Ask your kids, they might know someone.

10. Whatever you do, be very careful..would hate for you to get in any legal trouble over something so innocent.

11. Thank you all for your kind replies.  We have been battling for 5 years, and he is cancer free now, but has lost his entire stomach, most of his esophagus, part of his collar bone, 24 lymph nodes, etc.  He is over 90% disabled.  If you are interested in his story, you can check out his Caringbridge site here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alanmarchione  .  To make a long story short, he is retired Navy Chief, and all the medical expenses are paid as long as we remain on Tricare Prime, and you have to be within a Military Treatment Facility area, and there are few of those, and he has to live in an area with good medical, so moving is probably not practical.  If they Navy didn't pay his medical, we would go bankrupt!  They even pay to send us to Johns Hopkins. With all his medical appointments, it was just been easier to homeschool our children (on the front page picture on his site, the kids are doing math on Dad's hospital bed), and our homeschool group co-op is all pastors kids and the like, so I don't think asking the kids will help out too much.  In fact, this is much of our problem.  All our friends are Christians and senior enlisted Navy-not the people who can point us in the right direction!  And we are too!  Even though they are sympathetic, they have no more idea then we do where to get it! Now, the Navy already gives him Marinol because he has a hard time keeping up his weight, and to make him want to eat, and all sorts of  pain killers, but I would much rather he go natural.  He tried some in Michigan when he finally got to go home (first time since the cancer), and got pain relief as well as an increased desire to eat.   I have hung out outside a couple of smoke shops asking around, and even asked the employees inside, but I think they are scared of me!  Anyways, thanks everyone!

12. #12 StonerNack, Jan 20, 2014
    Washington DC has medical cannabis ( I don't know if its any good) but WV also has a good market for cannabis even though we are illegal.

Try looking for the biggest stoner stereotype and ask him, he/she is bound to have bud or can easily get it. 

Oh yeah, Listen to Strom Crow, I find her as a very good source.

Edit: Grow that plant too. I find organically grown cannabis seems to taste better and won't have things that street weed will (Bugs, pesitcides, other bad stuff)

13. You have to be a DC resident unfortunately.  But possibly with military connections you might be able to change your residency to DC?  You would certainly qualify under their program and they DO have dispensaries open and running.

WV does have a good market but it would be difficult to meet anyone.

Your best bet if you'll be staying in Virginia is to grow your own.  It sounds like you are pretty rural so no one should be too nosy.  Just don't tell anyone and there's no reason anyone would ever find out.  It's very simple and in a few months you'll have your own crop.  This is also your chance to re-educate your children about cannabis (as well as friends if you think they'd be open to the idea).

14. 😔 I'm so sorry Mary! I just moved here so I'm looking too! Sending healing vibes to your husband! No sick person should have to deal with this nonsense. Makes me mad!

15. Damn, this is such a sad scenario. Once again makes me filled with anger at how ridiculous the current laws are. Too bad I'm in Philly or I would absolutely help set u up with my guy.

Come on Va members, somebody got to be able to help Mary out or safely point her in the right direction. Best of luck on your search.