The Atheist Lounge

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by RippedMonk, Jan 18, 2014.

1. but Allah.

2. There is no supreme/divine entity

3. #443 ProGMO, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    The morality of slavery for example
    The morality of stoning an adulter
    The morality of killing your offspring to satisfy a gawd or animal sacrifices.

i could go on but if those ancient "norms' were so universal from the universal books, would we still not employ them? Are you saying we need to go back to them? Some religions still embrace those older books and ignore their antiquated morality.

4. #444 -Martyr, Oct 2, 2014

Various incarnations of Satanism allow for all of this- even the ones that actually do worship the devil. But very few people would flatter Satanism with this kind of praise, because the idea of any deity offering the same or similar results as science and "truth" feels like heresy. "How could this false being ever enlighten in a way that a microscope and the understanding of elements (which is also big in Satanism) could?" The more I think about it, the more I kind of start to suspect that human nature has many backdoors, just like computer networks. We seem perfectly capable of skipping the "sane", taking a detour, and ending up at the same place as someone who just took the stairs. This is probably the most, if only fascinating thing about people to me.

[​IMG]

6. That is but a small example in a world literally full of different religions with different moral teachings. People usually love to point out just Christianity or Islam but this is just a small percentage.

7. All religions are fucked. 

I thought buddhism was cool until I learned about the ethnic cleansling in Myanmar.

I thought rastafari was cool until I learned they are intoleran of homosexuals.

8. You do realize Rastafarianism is a form of Christianity right?

And what happened in Myanmar does not represent Buddhism at all.

9. #449 Brother Urb, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014

No I did not know that I just thought it was a little less crazy than some of the other religions. Thank you for enlightening me. :smoking:

And I know what happened there does not represent Buddhism.  That would be very stereotypical of me to think that.  The fact is though, religion plays a role in what's happening there.

To put it simply, at one time I thought those religions were a bit above the rest.  I know know it was silly of me to think that.

10. Are you sure it isn't culture yore talking about? They're is literally nothing in Buddhist scripture that supports the killing of people. Even in self defense we only believe in killing as a very least resort.

11. Check out the first paragraph of my signature.

Then those people must not be buddhists.  Like most christians are christian, muslims aren't muslim etc, etc. 

anyways, I'm not trying to turn this thread into a debate about Myanmar or buddhism.  If you really want to enlighten my ignorant ass on how buddhism is above the rest feel free to pm me - no joke.

I'm not even an atheist.  I would fall under the agnostic category but I don't care for labels. I really just came in here to laugh at religious memes and how silly religion is in general.  Figured others would share the same mindset.

13. I get why people wanna be atheist, but you don't have to bash other religions to support atheism. It just makes you look childish.

The only bashing thing I said was "all religions are fucked".

AND I STAND BY MY STATEMENT.

which I'm sure most everyone else in here agrees with.   CHEERS! :bongin:  :hello:  :smoke:  :smoking: :laughing:

15. #456 ProGMO, Oct 2, 2014
    Define bashing? what example are you talking of? religions bash each other to support their faiths? It does not make them look childish as much as it makes them look like hate mongers. I suppose an atheist that despises ignorance could find himself hating many of the roots of ignorance. religion has long tenticles into catering to the poor and ignorant. Most of the many religions' histories have long relied on man's ignorance. think about it. Man's literacy among the general society just started getting going in the 1700s.

now look where religion is most active and gaining ground today?

16. I haven't found a religion that's totally tolerant of queer and gender-variant people, not for lack of searching either...

Most religions damn me cause I like to eat pussy, and that's not gunna fly.

I'm not even homo but I completely agree with you.  :smoking:

18. #459 Luvs2splooj, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    So the fact that it is those people acting out of character with the religions should clue you in that it's people, not (necessarily) religion that is causing problems. Meaning with or without religion, these things will happen because these people will exist. Religion is just a part of their culture, I'd say it's the culture as a whole that's the main problem. Most religious people don't fit the stereotypical bible thumpers.
    Not to say the people can't be educated better to understand what they're doing. But I think to bash some religions(Buddhism especially) because of twisted people is fallacious.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater is basically what I'm saying. Also, as far as atheism goes, it doesn't necessarily involve religion. If there was a 'god' then it would exist with or without religion. Since atheism is just a lack of belief in god, you almost have to go an extra step to bring religion into the picture, if you know what I'm saying.

19. the thread isnt called " Religion Debate " -- can we please chill?