BB,BD,PE, Jack Frost in soil w/ HG 1K

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Chubbylove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. This is a legal grow. I'm going multi strain this run, Blue Dream, Big Bud, Pineapple Express, & Jack Frost. I haven't grown Jack before, but the other strains have proven exceptional. I use H&G with Great White & cal/mag. I use Bud Blood, Budswell, Sweet/raw, & Hi-Brix in flower.

I'm currently running my 600 watt ballast with a MH bulb turned down 25%, I'll ramp it up to 1K over the next couple weeks & can stick an extra light in my room for a total of 1600 watts if needed. My room is next to a gas furnace & water heater, & shares their venting, so some of the CO2 gets back fed into my room. I didn't really plan this, it just worked out. I use a CO2 detector outside the room & it has given me a 600ppm reading if I leave the door open with all the fans (light/filter) on. It's not scientific, but I love the results.

I transplanted last night, so they will get their first real feeding tomorrow. The Jack Frost is the biggest, the rest were cut a week ago. I already have fungus gnats, but will eradicate them in a week or two with some floramite.

I'm hoping for a smooth fairly easy grow this time. Last run was a 6 pack of GSC & they were a PITA. I must say that it was worth it though, probable the best pot I've yet to grow. I want a nice stash to get me through Summer.

Here's my other grows for anyone interested.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1037185-first-gig.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1081316-2nd-gig-multistrain-1-6k-soil.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1127570-3rd-times-charm-1-6k-ww-soil.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1196007-chubbylove-quik-dirty.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1232639-chubby-again.html

Attached Files:

2. In it to win it, time to flex that green-thumb! :metal:

Got my chair :cool:

:smoke:

3. Glad to have you BB err Mugestu. :bongin:

I gave them their first feeding today & also put a space heater in the room to keep the temps in the 70s until I fire up the 1K. I got a new bulb today as well as some nutes. First pic is my veg nute line up, next is my babies, then some well cured BD from a couple grows back, very fine vintage.

Attached Files:

4. #4 Mugetsu, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
    :yummy:

I recall those BDs, super sexy gals <3

This run should be a fun one! :metal:

:smoke:

5. Hey Chubby!! Im getting subb'ed here.

6. Thanks guys, not much happening. I think I stunted the PE & BD a bit when I TPed. The BB took off, but the the other two took a while to root. They look like they're fixin to take off, we'll see. The Jack is a beast. I used some Floramite yesterday to kill the fungus gnats.

Attached Files:

7. Not sure about the PE but I'll bet the BD will find her legs and take right off. Ive never grown it but everyone I have seen grows pretty robust. Im sure you'll be alright.

8. Hey there, checked out your previous grows and now this. Holy cow! Nice hauls. Definitely excited to see how this one goes. What kind of bulbs do you use? Just curious.

Thanks D, the BD is taking off, but the PE is still not doing much other than growing a giant base of the stalk. That makes me think it's still rooting. I'll let it dry out a couple days & see what happens.

Thanks, I use cheap china MH bulbs until flower, then I switch to Hortilux super HPS 1K. I just bought a new bulb. I also cleaned the lens for my hood this morning, it was filthy.

10. Starting week 4 of veg. Everyone is rooted & growing fast. The Jack Frost has taken over the room, I had to start tying her down yesterday. She'll need a TP soon. I started using Magic Green last week end, It's best to spray underneath the leaves so the tops don't get covered in gunk.

First is Big Bud, BD, then the Jack, finally a group shot. Sorry, forgot the little PE

Attached Files:

11. Nice, just found the new journal.  Sub'd up again!  Sweet Raw by Botanicare is just molasses, epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), and a pinch of kelp meal, if you were ever inclined to make your own and save some $$

12. Thanks for the tip, it ain't cheap. I T/P the Jack today, it's a monster. The BD is nearly as tall, growing very fast. PE is sucking hind tit, but I don't think she's stunted, just heavy competition. I'll T/P the rest when my shift is over & then flip them. Stupid gnats are back. I catch a lot by putting sticky traps in the corners on the floor.

Attached Files:

13. I finished T/Ping the rest & flipped them on Sunday. I dressed with Growstones, laid out sticky traps & soaked with Floramite to rid myself of gnats. Everything is going well, things should start to get interesting in a couple weeks.

Attached Files:

Just a thought.... Floramite is designed to kill mites.  It is an acaricide... meaning it is a selective pesticide (doesn't kill non-target pests), which targets the members of the Arachnid subclass Acari.  That family includes ticks and mites.  Gnats are in an entirely different class (Insecta).  I don't believe the Floramite will be effective against gnats.

Also.... Floramite's active ingredient, Bifenazate, has not been approved for use on food crops.... meaning no studies have been done on its toxicity or carcinogenic effects on humans (other than dermal exposure for those applying it).  

Here is the EPA Pesticide Fact Sheet on it: http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/chem_search/reg_actions/registration/fs_PC-000586_01-Jun-99.pdf  It describes how the manufacturer has not recommended Bifenazate for food crops so no studies were conducted.  There's probably a good reason the manufacturer didn't want further toxicity testing..... if they could have opened their product to the food crop market, I'm sure they would have.

Neem meal is a very effective pesticide for fungus gnats.  Just sprinkle a few tablespoons around your plants, then water.  The Azadirachtin, and the dozen other active compounds in neem, will kill them quickly.  For this reason (among many others), neem  meal is great to add to your soil mix.  Liquid Silica helps the plant resist pests like gnats, as well.  Lavender tea is a great one... just make a tea out of lavender flowers, and you have a powerful pesticide that kills gnats, mites, thrips, etc.  

15. This website (http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/Insecticides_List.pdf) lists what pesticides are effective against what pests.  For Bifenazate it lists only mites.

Also apparently pests develop a resistance to Bifenazate very quickly, so all of the directions say you should never apply Bifenazate twice in a row.  You should apply at least two different pesticides (from different "pesticide families") between applications of Floramite to prevent resistance.... apparently.

16. They look lovely Chubbs <3

Keep up the good work :D

:metal:

17. Thanks GtG, I will do more reading. The floramiteis the only thing I've tried that works, I will try the Neem meal next time. Thanks BB, looking forward to harvest.

18. Started week two of flower, things are stretching nicely. I used a tip from Ironhead & tied my main branches down by tying them to the stalk rather than the pot, works nicely for last minute LST. First is a group shot, then Jack, BD, PE, the BB.

Attached Files:

19. Starting week three of flower. First two pics are the Jack that is a bush, one of the most impressive girls I've ever raised. She will yield twice that of the PE (4th pic). Third is BB, I underestimated her stretch & now it's too late to do much about it. I tried to tie her top down, but the stalk is too thick, even at her top. The PE is small compared to the others, I hope I still get at least a 1/4 of frosty nuggs off her. Last two are of BD doing her thing.

Attached Files:

20. Whats up Chubby! Nice to see you gettin it in with these ladies! Dont leave us hangin on the smell! I know its gotta be dank already!