AWs No Till Water Only Organic Pot Growing Thread Humboldt Seeds Amherst Sour Diesel

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by AugustWest, Jan 11, 2014.

got any landscapers that do leaf removal?
    Around here they pay for the leaves that they have to dump.. and were more than happy to dump truckloads of leaves in my yard.
    I literally could have gotten 10 truckloads i i wanted..

that's a bummer :(
    i'm seriously worried about my hippy buddy

yeah dude..

i feel like LED isn't quite there yet.. and i know if i buy a $1000++ panel that within a few months something new is gonna come out and i'll be bummed.
    Kinda like cell phones lol..
    they are way better than they used to be, but i just do not believe they can completely replace the HID's yet.. not on a big scale with large plants at least.

:laughing:

fuck off! :p

you don't think i'm funny?

[​IMG]

I love my ductless mini-split AC unit. It cost me a little over $1,000 to buy, and i had to toss a few buddies of mine some buds to set it up. If you try to go to the grow store to buy one, they MAY tell you that it's easy to set up & you can do it yourself. If you have a background in HVAC than it may be, but it definitely isn't as simple as "putting a window unit air conditioner in a window" like I was told.

It has an outdoor unit and an indoor unit w/ copper line sets, so I'm not sure if that would be a dealbreaker for you or not...but they kick ass. They can be pretty efficient, too. The price of them sucks, but its nice to set your room to a specific temperature & to not have to worry.

I'm a firm believer of temperature playing a big role when flowering. I personally have had some heat issues in the past and have seen diminished yields, decreased quality, reduced density, etc. Since I purchased my ductless, I haven't had any heat problems. It worked like a charm with 2600w of power at my last place. My new room at my new place isn't completely finished yet, but I'm sure 12,000 BTUs of AC will be more than enough to cool 3200w of lights in 78 sq ft of space.  :D

3. I have been looking at the mars2 led's. The "1200w" model is listed at $435 and Smokesara offered me a lower price than that too. It's supposedly good enough for a 4'x4' spot all on its own, so you could probably use something even weaker than that model as a supplemental light. Have seen a lot of people round the city using them and they get good reviews all around from what I have seen. They are sponsored by GC which is probably a plus too.

Don't understand why they list it as 1200w even though the actual draw is around 500w :unsure: seems goofy to me.

Prices seemed reasonable enough considering a good quality HID setup will easily run $500 plus, not including the added ventilation fans etc.

4. #8244 AugustWest, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014

yeah those splits are badass!
    had one in an old house that i was at and it kicked ass.

This place has central air, so i just crank that up and it works fine.. my bedroom gets a little chilly in the summer but the growroom is tits lol.

damn. that is cheap.
    I was peeping this one.. http://advancedledlights.com/3w-led-grow-lights/new-diamond-series-xml-10w-cree-xml/
    and it's like $1000 for a 350w.

That's why i'm thinking of just running this 600 that i have lying around.. just gotta get a bulb and i'm good to go.
    would probably just run it vertical in the middle of the 2 hoods.. I figure that'll get me though till the LED market sorts itself out..

yeah dude.. i don't get that either. If it's 500w then it's 500w and not 1200w..
    maybe i'm missing something..

5. Dude I shit you not, Ive had like 5 dreams where you showed up, as your avatar (lol) since I saw that truck dumping leaves in your garden. Last night I thought, I need to get on the phone and call some of these places up, it was like 3 in the morning though, but I got super pumped up then couldnt sleep lol

But yeah dude, I need some leaf mulch, ive basically been adding tons of cardboard, paper, eggshells, and tons and tons of chicken manure to my worm bins lately. When it rained I uncovered the bins to let in the rain! But then covered it before any drowned lol

big organic question here

anyone ever grow mint, legumes or anything in their no till? Legumes having the symbiotic relationship with bacteria increase soil nitrogen, just wondering if you guy shave experimented a whole lot? And whats up with clover? That stuff grows in all my outdoor pots and my plants seem to thrive.

woot, woot, man am i pumped about this soil building! I need to get a 20 gallon smart pot. Hey august, whats up with that huge ass plant youre growin, what size pot is that? You runnin 1K bulbs? Sorry for dumb questions, im just stoned right now lol

6. Also, any of you use rice hulls for aeration? I know it breaks down to silica and compacts, so ive been told to add lava rock, mineral rock or lots of perlite. Thoughts?

7. #8247 over dere, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014

pokesmot

I've been using organic rice hulls (from Lundberg Farms in California) for several years in potting soils as well as worm bins. I don't think that it's the best option by itself but rather as part of an aeration mix that includes either pumice or lava rock (scoria).

In California you should be able to find lava rock at any/all landscape supply yards and the price is cheap, cheap, cheap. Stupid cheap actually...

HTH

CC

8. ^^^ Hey Poke, we haven't been formally introduced but so what :smoking: Don't grow mint in your no tills, it's VERY invasive. IDK, maybe some folks have some luck killing it but I have had not haha. It's growing around my patio right now (planted as a single plant a year ago for ant's protection)  and even frost is not killing it. On the great side - did you know it can be considered as leafy greens? Now that I know it my smoothies don't have to taste like blackberry mixed with cabbage, they just taste wonderfully minty :hello:

Rice hulls - not a single aeration amendment for sure, but I feel that they contribute a lot in overall health of soil mix, especially when they do start breaking down (4+ month I'd say with consistent moisture, experienced guess). They are very high in silica, so big trunks on good girls with no effort on your part. I bought mine from Northern Brewer quite awhile ago, they were dirt cheap there, not sure about pricing now.

9. awesome! Home depot has it pretty cheap. In the no till thread i was going to run his recipe (based on yours with some tweaking) vs your recipe and see if theres any difference.

Ive never used ANY of the minerals listed here, not a one. So lookin forward to that. Should be interesting.

Mr silly told me it makes his soil fluffy. I hear a lot of people say his soil is top notch, but he's the one who initially told me it would break down compacting soil and not to let it be my only aearation option, which it obviously wouldnt. The last homebuilt soil i made was so freakin heavy, it compacted and choked the plants :-/

My name is pokesmot, **secret handshake, hug, secret dance, wiggles fingers, passes j**

nice to meet you haha

I planted a few plants of mint in my front yard, the dogs, the kids, and the grass made quick disposal of it XD

Kinda sucked,i was hopin to keep it around. But no one answered my question on clovers? Whats the dillyo?

Also COOT, where do i get barley local? Im a hermit, so light burns me like a vampire, so i dont know where to begin lookin for beer stuff. Keep in mind the biggest store here is walmart lol

10. #8250 Pink, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    Yeah, I have the dogs and the kids, and the grass deal here too, and nothing is helping with killing the mint :confused_2: Maybe you got a different kind of mint, not Superfuckingmint I got :confused: Clover is great for no-till, but there are many different varieties, you are better off getting the microclover seeds me thinks.

I liked *secret hug* :laughing:

Edit: Oh no, it was secret dance B) sorry I incidentally gave you a secret hug, Poke, hope you liked it anyway lol :p

poke

F.H. Steinbart Co. in Portland is the oldest homebrew store in the USA - circa 1918. They are the big supplier to the vast numbers of microbreweries on the West Coast. 

You want their organic 2 Row barley (ORG-BP-2) which costs $1.15 per lb. and a single pound makes 16 gallons of enzyme tea. How cheap is that? LOL!

HTH

Cc

Hug, dance, its all good know what im sayin?

No, its unfortunate, i didnt get the super unkillable mint. But next year i need to make sure it sticks around, maybe its invasive nature will choke out some of these other weeds :D

Microclover you say? Im off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of google :p

Coot, you are the fucking man! :metal:

You cant beat that price or source imho! We need to have a sourcing thread, so people can just be like i want to build a soil, where do i start getting stuff, heres a link with all the goodies! :devious:

13. It already exist over in the organic forum. Anytime you find something, post it up in there.

14. I did not know this!

Awesome!

Poke

This company not only supplies professional breweries but (obviously) home brewers. You cannot believe the materials that they offer.

The first time that I went there to buy malted barley grain I told them what I was going to use it for - LMAO

"Say what? You're feeding plants with malted barley? You're kidding, right?"
    \n"Nope - I'm dead serious. It will make your garden plants explode in new growth!"
    \n"Any plant?"
    \n"Yep!"

I knew damn well what he meant by 'any plant' - this is Portland after all! 

Wee!

16. Lol, thats awesome, probably surprised the hell out of him, whoda thought plants like "beer" hehehe :p

Hey man what is your opinion on citric acid in soil? Curious, ive been reading about some of its benefits, wanted your twke on it.

I know i know a well built soil doesnt need to be raised or lowered ph wise.

Also, if you were to take a sample of soil for a ph analysis, how would you do it? Somethin is wrong in my garden gotta get it fixed.

Poke

Look at information about Krebs Cycle, aka Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle (TCA Cycle). After you've looked at a few web sites let me know and I'll give you some data that will help as far as application rates, etc.

To correctly check the pH of a soil you need to pull a small amount of soil and mix with distilled water and then run your pH test. Checking runoff is about the dumbest method anyone could come up with. Pure stupidity.

HTH

CC