AWs No Till Water Only Organic Pot Growing Thread Humboldt Seeds Amherst Sour Diesel

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by AugustWest, Jan 11, 2014.

1. topdressing..

do you guys move the mulch out of the way, topdress and then put it back?

that's what i've been doing.. seems like a hassle, but i guess it makes the most  sense?

outside w/ the veggies i just topdress on top of the mulch.. but that gets rained on a lot.

2. That's what I do too. That way the mulch can continue doing its job of slowing evaporation from the surface of the soil. I had a sad looking tom plant that turned right around after a top dressing of compost/ewc and kelp meal.

yeah figure it's just easier to get it into that top bit of the soil too.. water it in and cover back w/ the dry mulch. Probably won't need water for a week after that :p

i need to topdress my veggies again... last time i did kelp, epsoma plant tone and some chicken manure pellets. I can't really see any of it on top anymore, so i guess it's time to do it again while everything is fruiting.

that nasty comfrey tea is just about done, still a little stinky but nowhere near bad as it was, i'm stoked to start using that too..

4. Hey AW!!! (regarding recent discussion of topdressing) I always thought you were not supposed to disturb the mulch if possible.... ? :confused:

i believe it's the top few inches of soil that's not supposed to be messed with. But the same smart folks that tell me that, also tell me to topdress into those few inches.. :p

so.. i always put down the topdressing and mix some of into that first couple inches of soil.. water and then replace the mulch.

could be the wrong way to do it man.. but that's what i've done so far.

6. Hey AW, you're watching Leftovers right?! Stupid show, but I'm hoping it gives me something. Last nights episode left me feeling awful...

7. I move the mulch toss it on water a bit then replace mulch

didn't watch last nights yet..

is it any better? tonight is my last night if not LOL..

watched Ray Donavon last night, that fucking show is awesome!

do you mix it into the soil at all, or just throw it on top?

9. Glad I didn't spoil it for ya then ;) it's ok. I really don't know what to make of the show...! Lol.

Never even heard of Ray D. I'll check it out. Do you watch Last Week Tonight on HBO?!?! (that show is fuckinawesome!)

10. 10 bucks says j will say your questions are off topic

11. #3631 jerry111165, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
    Hi AW. I usually use items that break down a little quicker in my indoor pots - like comfrey leaves as an example. Another really good thing I like to do is to mix some vermicompost in with whatever mulch I'm using - you won't need to move anything out of the way this way since it's breaking down quicker and becoming an integral part of the soil itself instead of just sitting dry on top of the soil.

Everybody does this different and however you do it mulch works well! I just like it to break down faster and be a part of the whole soil web instead of being a separated component.

Good morning pal.

J

Edit: (or compost instead of or mixed with the vermicompost)

yeah Ray d. is killer.. it' son showtime i think. very good show..
    haven't seen that other one, but seen the previews and it looks funny as hell..

another 10 says he ignores the post LOL.. he's too easy.

mornin' man.. that makes good sense. I like this shredded straw that i've been using, it seems to break down pretty quick, but i like the idea of the vermi and green stuff to help that along.

thanks for the tips man :)

soo.. :(

i'm down to like 4 plants in there lol..

all of those 4SD's hermied.. not bothering messing with pulling the balls off since i'll be making seeds and don't want hermie pollen in there confusing things.. so they all got ripped up.

time to start some seeds..

now i'm wondering where those 4SD seds came from.. they were in a baggie marked 4SD (not from the breeder) and they all turned out "female" musta came from a hermie plant or something..

gonna take clones from that 4SD mom.. if that fails then I have some breeder seeds of chem D x sour d which i'll run.. i can't live without having a chem x sour strain in my garden..

not so bummed about the hermie thing.. more bummed that these 4 plants could be in 20 gal pots..

13. Damn dude! Sucks about the hermz. :( booooo

14. #3634 AugustWest, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014

yeah for sure.. just glad i decided to check for them this early on. I kinda had a feeling when all 5 were females.

but i'm not in the weed business, so i won't run out of pot to smoke.. and have many a seed to run, so all good :)

need to get a batch of soil made asap though.

gonna do another light leak check in there.. but i think i'm ok in that dept.

15. Refresh my memory, about how old were they? Seems like you took great care of em' am I wrong? I was under the impression they usually hermi with stress...?

the seeds were probably 4 years old.. marked by hand in a plastic baggie. I'm really thinking that they came off of a hernmie plant to begin with.. (i honestly can't remember where i got those seeds from, but they weren't breeder seeds)
    yeah i think most hermies are caused by stress (especially light leaks) some strains more sensitive than others. (it can also be a genetic thing as well)

the chemdog/sour diesel family is very light sensitive.. if you smile at them at night they'll grow balls.

17. these 4 plants could be in 20 gal pots.. Im sorry and I dont remember offhand but how far along are they right now/how long ago did you flip? Would it be worth throwing them in bigger pots right now? Just saying - if they still have another 8-10 weeks to go then maybe? I could give you a hand if you like.

like the idea of the vermi - Might be a good idea to sprinkle/mix a little right into your straw mulch. Again, Im just thinking out loud. That way you wouldn't need to move the mulch once it starts breaking down, which I'd imagine that it would in a week or two if the straw had vermi mixed in. Again - just a thought. I will say that I do like the way that your straw mulch looks. Its nice and neat and must help to keep things moist; right where you want it.

j

18. @[member="jerry111165"] yeah man.. kind of thinking of cutting a hole in the smartpot and placing the whole thing on top of a larger one.. I have some 15's and 25's downstairs that i can use.
    The GFBA sems happy in the 15 so i won't mess w/ her, but the others in the 7's can use a new home for sure.

i wanna say they're about 2 weeks into 12/12 now, just finishing up the stretch..

and yes.. that's the plan, gonna mix the vermi right into the mulch. I really like that idea a lot! thanks! :D

19. Just on top. I found if I try to scratch it in with my fingers I end up breaking a few small roots near the surface, so now I just toss it on and go.

20. Mornin AW! Man, sucks on those 4SD bro. The chem d x sour d, is that from reservoir seeds too? What else you thinkin about running?