AWs No Till Water Only Organic Pot Growing Thread Humboldt Seeds Amherst Sour Diesel

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by AugustWest, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Super soil baby, hell yea. Subb'd in.

2. #23 AugustWest, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014

welcome man!
    we'll see how "super" it is soon enough lol.. i hope i did it right.

hey man!
    thanks for dropping by and for the millionth time, thanks for pushing me along and all the advice you give me and all the others here. :D

got worms coming in a few days.. so i setup my worm bin.

got one of those pre-fab worm factories w/ 5 trays.. seems kinda small but we'll give it a try and see what happens.
    pics of the bin and my bucket of treats :)
    used coco coir, paper, pumice, lobster compost and rock dust for the bedding.

o91960132.jpg
    o91960142.jpg

3. What's a worm bin gonna smell like in a few weeks?

Better go find them patchouli incense buddy...

4. #25 AugustWest, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014

Chuck!!

what's up man?

nah as long as i don't feed them too much and let the scraps rot or water the worms to death, it won't smell.. and it's in the basement. so it'll be cool.

good seeing you around man!!

5. #26 AugustWest, Jan 13, 2014
    Burped some jars & took some pics. :)
    like 2 weeks or so in jars..

4SD 12 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sour Diesel 10 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

casey jones from a while ago..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ^^^^much nicer pics man...looking like some tasty stuff there.

7. Hey brotha I'm pulling up a chair for sure. Interesting that you are trying out some soil same time that I am. :metal:

I'm pretty sure I've read all your old journals and threads cover to cover.. I'm stoked to see your new experiment unfold. :smoke:

thanks dudes!

Iron.. good to see you man. GL with your run.. i'm sure it's gonna be as killer as all of your other stuff.

9. Whoa, u even got Chuck out of the woodwork! :eek::wave:

Great pics and nice to see a journal from you.

Not at all happy about the worms but I guess they're necessary. :)

Good luck!

Who's Chuck:poke: :laughing: :bolt: :ey:

11. Lol, IMgreen is Chuck. ;)

I'm guessing you're not the same person but now you mention it, I never see you both in the same place at the same time..... :ph34r:

Got to have the worms........here's my reactor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTPJfIqmFk

LOL....if I had a nickel for everyone that has called me Chuck here....... :laughing:  sorry I got corn-fused :cool:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew! 

Hit stop at 25 seconds. :p

That's pretty sweet tho dude. :)

15. #36 AugustWest, Jan 13, 2014

hi! :wave:

yeah.. found our long lost buddy Chuck :D (and Chunk too!)
    still searching for serg and Mr and Mrs Yoda.,.

I think Rosa is gonna fight the worms for those kitchen scraps lol..
    hope you're feeling better :)

thanks for providing the nice backdrop for the bud shots :p

wow!!

that's insane man!

how do you harvest the castings from that thing?

should I make a screen for harvesting when i'm ready? still confused about all of that.. but i have a lot of time before i need to worry about that i guess.

fukn monday..

that was a fast weekend. :(

Hey Free! LTNS - how's tricks? I dropped by to say happy new year to you all and got sucked right back in!!

17. how do you harvest the castings from that thing?

Chunks bin is a "Flow-Through" worm bin. It is set up with a type of grate lets say 3/4 of the way down in the bin. Initially the worm castings are not harvested for quite awhile until the entire bedding turns to just castings and worms, and then new food is added on the top. Once the bottom is pure castings they either fall through the grate into the bottom collection chamber or the grate is lightly raked until the castings fall through into the bottom collection chamber, so food goes into the top - castings fall through into the bottom. This is probably the type of bin that is easiest to harvest, negating the need to separate or screen the castings, unless you are trying to save cocoons, when you would screen with an 1/8" screen to save them. 

flow_through.gif

There are several ways to harvest castings out of a regular rubbermaid type tote bin. You can dump out the tote once everything has turned to castings onto a tarp with a bright light over it. As the light makes the worms burrow away from the light, you can keep gently raking the top castings away and separate that way. Another way that I use is to allow the bin to pretty much turn to pure castings, and since the worms are pretty hungry at this point, you add some new food into one end of the bin and wait a day or two. The worms will move to and mass around the new food, allowing you to harvest the rest of the bin away from the worms.

Another way that's really effective is to screen the material from the bins. Here is a "crank harvester" we built at work. The fresh bin material is loaded into the harvester at the crank end. The screen drum is on a slight angle pointed down and away from the crank handle. As the handle is turned the finished material falls through the screen into a tray below. Any unfinished, larger material and worms fall out the far end into a separate tray which will get dumped back into the main worm bin for another run. This one works well.

11%2026%2011%20001.jpg 11%2026%2011%20008.jpg 11%2026%2011%20010.jpg

j

Serg didn't even reply to the last text I sent him :(  He's gone dark. Come to think of it, Yoda didn't reply to the last email I sent him either....you and your ways have rubbed off on all our chums! :p

Lol, fuck the scraps, Rosa'll eat the fucking worms if she sees them!  Or she'll file them somewhere stupid, like the oven. :rolleyes:

Goes to show how :yummy:  those bud pics are, I didn't even notice the backdrop!  It works tho, very cool. :hello:  Thanks for the promo!

Tricks are peachy fucking king, cupcake! :bongin:  Great to see ya, how's the family? :) I bet it would make me feel so old to see them now! :eek:

</thread hijack>

Oh, before I leave, will stupid questions about organic growing be tolerated in here or is it for serious discussion only?  SEcond thoughts, forget I asked, I already know the answer. :p

I call dibs on getting to name all the worms! :bolt:

very cool.. been doing some reading and the tumbler seems like the way to go.
    i'll have to bribe one of my carpenter buddies with some buds and get one built :p

thanks for the info man.. guess it'll be a few months before i need to worry about any significant harvesting.. but mayas well be prepared.