Root trimming

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by jumper420, Jan 10, 2014.

1. This plant had given me many clones over the 10 or so weeks I had it vegging. This photo was taken when I moved it to its new home.

[​IMG]

This is it yesterday, almost 4 weeks on 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. #42 Hemp Hugger, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
    holy shit ill have to wait till my three sativas are done before I can do something like that lol...

I don't know if she is root bound or not I would say no she is still looking very healthy. I had her pulled down but let her up about 5 days ago. I want her to get a lil taller and every site was topped so she already has twice the colas...

Itty Bitty Canna Committee- "Our Cup Runneth Over"

Attached Files:

3. Plus as you can see I keep my lights right on top of my girls to keep the node space much shorter...

4. Ive only taken two from her so far. And she has so many more to give but I might take all her bottom clones the throw her into flower already lollipopped. ..

• Like Like x 1
  5. And we have the exact same flower tent... 4x4x6.5 right?

6. #46 GoldGrower, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
    Sounds like a plan mate. Yeah that's it, it's my first run with it. After this next harvest I'm going to swap back to my old one though 4'x3'x6', this one takes up too much space in my spare room. It's surprising what difference that extra foot makes 

• Like Like x 2
  7. I actually just dropped from a 5'x5'x5 and it is hurting me because my veg was for a 5'x5'x5 and now I lost a square foot but once these are donebill be golden. I grow a good bit at once sobi need just a lil more space...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for the info brother! I actually really needed this information, cause im joining the solo cup challenge held by Sundance and Piff and I didnt know where to start.

buds, bitches and bandos :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Here too man jump!

• Like Like x 1
  10. #50 Peflora, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
    My methd is hydro, though the first step can then be easily transplanted into a different grow medium I use starter cubes in 3" net pots which are placed in my DIY bubbler/s.

Over the years I have infilled with small rock. It works great but roots follow the path of least resistance and head straight down.

However, more lateral roots near the main stalk makes for a sturdier plant, and less travel time for nutrient uptake

I have developed a method which forced more roots laterally, by replacing the stones with a coco cup inside the 3" net pot + coco coir

Note the roots on the right pic have basically 4 main exit points from the bottom of the net pot, whereas the coco filled has roots all across the bottom. I have further improved this and now am getting roots exiting all around the sides of net pot as well

I also trim the longest roots to create more of a root ball, which also forces more lateral roots

At this stage I move the plants from the bubbler into individual F & D totes

Come by if interested

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Quick question about root trimming. Does it matter when during the light cycle you do the trimming? Only asking cause I know there is more root growth during the dark time, so would it make sense to do the root trimming at the end of the light period or will there be any difference? 2.5 month old, soil grow, 18/6 in natural light outside and brought inside to keep temp up during dark hrs.