Root trimming

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by jumper420, Jan 10, 2014.

You don't understand? Let me try to explain.... So they can cut clones off it 

2. Dobi need to root trim if my plants are already in a growing?

Itty Bitty Canna Committee- "Our Cup Runneth Over"

3. Only reason to root trim is if u cant pot up before flower so It wont get root bound or to keep moms small or for revegging a plant but if u are transplanting and going up in pot size root trimmimg is unimportant.. I did it for a reveg

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. sorry that was supposed to say grow bag not growing... my question is do I need to trim the roots if my plant is in a grow bag...

Aren't they supposed to air prune themselves???

5. Only if it gets root bound unless its one of those "airpots" or burlapsack type bags

6. Don't prune your roots. Leave that to the bonsai tree growers. They prune the roots to stop/slow growth. I would prefer having a pot bound plant than prune the roots. But if you are pot bound just put it in a bigger pot 

7. #28 jumper420, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
    It didnt stop or slow growth when I did it I still got over an oz doing that to a reveg under cfls which by the way doubled yeild second time around

8. #29 GoldGrower, Aug 8, 2014

Just imagine what you could have had if the plant had a root system that was bigger. Root mass will directly reflect bud mass

9. I know bit only had a hallon pot to work with didnt know about clones and loved how that plant produced

10. Mine are the black fabric 1 and 3 gallon grow bags... my mother is in a 3 gallon fabric grow bag how long till I have to trim her roots in a 3x3x5 veg tent...

11. #32 GoldGrower, Aug 8, 2014

Why not pot up a size instead, take a clone and flower the old bitch? Take advantage of that big ass root mass 

12. It's recommended to only do that a few times the idea of a mother is to keep the genetics around for years. If you clone a clone and keep doing that apparently the genetics start to degrade. Plus you want your mother plants to be from regular non feminized seeds.

13. And keeping a bonsaiesque mom you can take clones and keep her in less than a gallon so for micro grow mothers and things its perfect im still trying to get my cloning down but I can successfully keep mothers in these pot ill let clones run rampant

14. #35 GoldGrower, Aug 8, 2014

Whomever recommends that doesn't know what they are talking about. I have cloned from a clone countless time. I have kept the same plant by doing that for a couple of years. What possible reason could repeatedly cloning cause their DNA to change? that makes no sense. The donor plant being from regular seeds or feminised seeds makes absolutely no difference. A feminised seed is no different from a female seed. Where are you getting all this nonsense? 

That is not an argument against the idea of flowering the donor and taking a clone off it to start a fresh donor plant.

I call it a donor plant, but I mean a mother in this case, the same can be applied for a father. Even though I do use the term mother, it's biologically inaccurate. A seed comes from a mother, a clone is a clone, not the next generation, so I prefer the term donor. I just wanted to clear that up because I have found myself using both terms and it may come across confusing

16. I love this post!!!! maybe he was listening to internet Forest?

17. I have so many projects going that I just dont have the room to go up in size with anything in veg...

18. I do have two clones that at in solos now they aren't looking the best but they are alive and kicking... so can I just throw the mother into flower and keep one of the clones as my new mother???

That's what I always do. Having a new fresh mother that doesn't take up loads of space is a good thing if you aren't regularly taking large amounts of clones from it. And putting a well established mother in to flower is always going to yield well. It will be worth potting up a size if you can though if it really is pot bound