Grow Closet Help

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by CatManMoo, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Greetings fellow cannaseurs. I am ready to purchase everything for my grow closet and need some advice to see if my setup is on the right track. This is my first grow ever. I am in a non medical state and would like to keep this as low key as possible. I will be growing in soil. Here is what I have decided on so far:

SPACE:

Closet 2'3"x4'10"x7'3"
    *Doors might be modified for ventilation.

TENT:

2'x4'x7'+ Gorilla (with extension I will have it touching the ceiling at 7'3")
    I know this is pricey but at exactly 2'x4' it fits the space very nicely leaving room for ducting to come out. Most of the other 2'x4' tents I have seen are actually much larger than 2'x4'.

LIGHTING: (HTG Supply)

400w HPS/MH Lumatek digital ballast
    HY EasyCool 6 Reflector
    Hortilux 400w HPS bulb
    AgroMax 400w MH 6500K bulb
    Steel wheel reflector hangers
    Timer.. Suggestions? Can get one with the package for cheap

FAN/FILTER: [​IMG]

This is where I am having most of my issues. I know that negative pressure can cause my tent to collapse in on itself. Here is the setup I am considering mostly because it is from the same place I am getting lights. I am certainly open to other suggestions. I will get a speed controller regardless of the setup. Forgot Password

I believe I only need something like 3-400 cfm but not sure.

I am also unsure on how exactly to set everything up. Here are my two ideas.

1) 6" A/C Hood > Ducting > Fan pulling air > Ducting outside of tent > Carbon Filter > Into room
    This setup would be the least amount of stuff inside of the tent. I was thinking of mounting the fan on the edge/wall in between the tent and outside to save some room.

2) Carbon Filter > Ducting > 6" A/C Hood > Ducting > Fan pulling air > Ducting to room
    This may get crowded in a 2'x4' but I like the idea of having everything in the one space.

Do I need a booster fan bringing air in or is a passive intake sufficient?

VENTILATION:

The tent will be vented directly into the 9'x10' room. The door to this room will remain open to the larger basement. I live in a cold state and temps are usually pretty low in the basement. If I cannot control temps I will look into getting a small A/C for the room.

SOIL/NUTES:

Fox Farm. I will purchase locally. The number of pots will depend on how many seeds pop.

SEEDS:

I have some bagseed that I have been saving for the last few months. If I cannot get any of them to pop or if none are female I have a friend I can get some decent seeds off locally. I will be acquiring quality genetics in time for my next grow. Here is what I have for now:

White Rhino: 5 seeds
    Cataract Kush: 1 seed
    Snow White Kush: 1 seed
    Random orange bud: 1 seed

METER:

Milwaukee is the name that keeps coming up. I am not sure everything I need to test for but I would like something easy such as digital.

EXTRAS:

Thermometer/Hygrometers
    Fan/Fans for room to circulate air
    6" Ducting
    Water filter to clean water??

This will be my only complete grow in this tent. While I am working through this grow I will be constructing a Mother/Clone/Veg cabinet to speed things along. This will be to the right hand side of the closet, helping conceal the wires coming out of it.

Here are a few questions:

1) Fan/Filter. Which design is best from above? Suggestions on other types or designs?

2) Do I need a booster fan bringing air in or is a passive intake sufficient? If yes, what cfm?

3) Can I start my seeds under the MH? Or would a single/double CFL from Depot in the corner of the room do the trick?

4) What do I need to be testing for other than pH, if anything? Suggestions on a good meter.

5) Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks for stopping by. I am open to any suggestions. The wifey will not allow this entire room to be a grow room until the laws change so its closet/cab for now. I currently medicate at about 2oz/month but would like to increase this amount. I believe this is possible with what I have designed. I will be purchasing everything this weekend and cannot wait to get started!

Peace

Attached Files:

2. Id just line that with malar and go with #2 for fan filter and hood setup. Take it from me setting tents up in a small space is not fun. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 CatManMoo, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    Neonrio- Thanks for the advice.  I was just thinking that the tent would keep it contained from the outside environment but the price sucks.  I have also been trying to picture how I am going to get the tent set up inside the closet....  If I lined the walls like you have suggested, how do you suggest I close off the front of the closet to not allow light in/out, bugs and still have easy access in?

I am a total newb and this is what my limited knowledge has come up with.  I am just not very handy with building stuff and have been thinking that a tent would be an easy start.  I am open to changing things up but am sort of lost.

Peace

4. I see you have a double sliding door and it took me a bit to think of this but I believe the easiest way to seal the door from light is to hang a strip of malar (not sure if im spelling that correct) down the front of the door.

5. @[member="neonrio"] I think I see what you mean.  So open the closet doors and there is a big screen covering the entire doorway?

Man this whole design thing is starting to be overwhelming but I am determined to succeed.  If anyone else has any ideas on how I could better use this space than what I have suggested please speak up!  I am totally new to this and just want to get it right before I buy a bunch of b.s. I dont need. 

6. Yeah thats what id look into doing. I dont know what malar is worth. It may cost the same as a tent. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. The reason I say line it good with plastic or marlar is so you seal it so you dont rot your house. The tent will be so hard to fit in that room. If you got a tent he size of your door so you could just slide it in there that would be the easiest way Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Amen fuck the tent POS. just line the walls with mylar and call it good. The little 400w lamps are not that hot so you wont need tons of fans and shit just a few little ones. leave the door cracked open when you ca.

white rhino is my production crop but mine are autoflowering so I breed them for seed production.
    White rhino does not need to be fed much or at all. one veg feed at a month, one bloom feed 2 weeks into bloom. Some growers hated white rhino but it was because they over fed and burnt the fuck out of them.

9. was just reading the thread and i would agree too... to line it the mylar and call it good.....but make sure it overlaps the doorway :metal:

10. @[member="snoopdog6502"] Fuck the tent.... it feels good to say that haha.  Plus thats $300 put to better use.  Now its back to the drawing boards.  I do not have a problem pulling up the carpet in the closet to make sure it doesn't get wet.  I am not a very DIY person so I thought that the tent was an easy way out.  Now I don't really know what to do.. Also, good to hear positive things about the Rhino I enjoyed smoking it.

@[member="neonrio"] If I do go with the tent I will have to get one that isn't so tall, like a 5'.  Good idea.

I still want to do a seperate Veg/Mother/Clone cabinet to help speed things up.  I plan on putting it on the right wall next to the closet to help conceal the wires that will be running out of the closet.  However the plan was to grow from seed the first round while I get this built.  I will most likely use CFL/T-5 for sprout then switch to the MH/HPS to Veg and flower.  The same cft/t-5 can then be used in the cab.  How does this sound?

Question: How do I get the closet sealed off so that it is its own environment?  or better yet, What would you do with this space?

11. #11 CatManMoo, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    I am also rethinking my hood set up as I have been told by a friend that I shouldn't need the glass to keep cool and that it can take away light.  The Super Sun 2 with 6" ducting and a 200 cfm fan was suggested.  Thoughts? 

12. [quote name="CatManMoo" post="19316501" timestamp="1389393186"]@[member="snoopdog6502"] Fuck the tent.... it feels good to say that haha. Plus thats $300 put to better use. Now its back to the drawing boards. I do not have a problem pulling up the carpet in the closet to make sure it doesn't get wet. I am not a very DIY person so I thought that the tent was an easy way out. Now I don't really know what to do.. Also, good to hear positive things about the Rhino I enjoyed smoking it.@[member="neonrio"] If I do go with the tent I will have to get one that isn't so tall, like a 5'. Good idea.I still want to do a seperate Veg/Mother/Clone cabinet to help speed things up. I plan on putting it on the right wall next to the closet to help conceal the wires that will be running out of the closet. However the plan was to grow from seed the first round while I get this built. I will most likely use CFL/T-5 for sprout then switch to the MH/HPS to Veg and flower. The same cft/t-5 can then be used in the cab. How does this sound?Question: How do I get the closet sealed off so that it is its own environment? or better yet, What would you do with this space?[/quote]Make a easy tray outnof wood and seal it and paint it. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. And you could aways split the room and seal each side off from light. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. @[member="neonrio"] I thought about splitting the sides but I do not think that I will be able to produce enough to keep me medicated.  Also, would the ballast be located inside the closet or outside?  I am just trying to wrap my brain around how everything will be set up.  

15. Are you talking about using flat white paint or Elastomere paint in the place of mylar for the walls?

16. The ballast should go in the outside. I have used a 400 watt hps light and I had it on a cool tube with a 6 inch 452 cfm fan on a speed controller. I ran it very low. You may not need to put it on a cool tube but I most likely would. No line the hole room over lapping and maybe taping the mylar together to seal it up so your house dont rot. Id build a wood tray that was painted with a water proof paint and seal it up with silicon sealing the edges. That way you dont have to tear up ur floor. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Id run a carbon filter > duct> hood > duct> fan> outside the room or house. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. @[member="neonrio"] you are awesome. Thanks for the guidance/

19. Your room wont be perfectly air tight so enough air will most likely bypass in.. most likely I say. You may need to put in a bypass intake. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. [quote name="CatManMoo" post="19316869" timestamp="1389397481"]@[member="neonrio"] you are awesome. Thanks for the guidance/[/quote]I hope your not all confused now.. I know I was when I popped that question on here. People just flooded my page with anything you could think of. Go with your gut and do what you think is right. You are on the right track. If it works for you its the right way for you. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app