Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Funkyhunkys Ultimate Green Dragon Tincture Guide

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by funkyhunky, Jan 9, 2014.

1. I've always wanted to make a Green Dragon Alcohol Tincture.

I read Master Wu's guide, and I thought it sucked. It lacked a lot of detail and recommended cooking at 325 which is above the vaporization point of THC, so that right there should tell you that his method is half-baked (pun intended).

So, I made my own procedure backed by pharmaceutical patents and university-level lab experience. I put in probably 20 hours of research (including hunting every cannabis forum and post out there) for the best hot method to making green dragon.  

Once I finalized my procedure I went through with it. Oh baby. This shit, knocked me on my ass with a tiny amount. 

I could not in good conscience let people like me continue blind in being unable to find all the details they need to make an excellent tincture. I think this method is foolproof and I have explained the procedure and science behind each step. Even the the most stoned of stoners should be able to pull this off. God forbid I made a grammatical error. Mods, you might as well sticky this now.

http://imgur.com/n5ajAwC (or you can dl the pdf)

Enjoy  :smoking:

Attached Files:

So where is it? I don't want to open a pdf file. Post it in it's entire form even if it takes a few entries in order to get a good discussion going, otherwise its worthless. Pictures and analysis would help too. :)

3. #3 funkyhunky, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    The guide is in jpeg format, just click the link - no need to dl the pdf. http://imgur.com/n5ajAwC Plenty of discussion and analysis if you aren't closed-minded about a superior format.

The most useful part of my guide is that it breaks down the decarbing instructions of a technical pharmaceutical patent found here: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7344736.pdf

I read your dragon lite guide, and I think its great. I personally hate waiting but I wanted high quality results which is why I made a hot guide. One thought I think you could benefit from: according to the patent analysis (explained in my guide) you're missing out on a significant conversion of THCA and CBDA to THC and CBD when you only bake at 220 F. When baking at 220 the optimal time length it 2 hours, not 23-30 minutes. Of course this is not as important if your bud is thoroughly aged or you want a body high. 

Overall my guide solves the holy-graille question of the best decarb temp and time for hot GD which sets it apart from the rest.

4. Going to try this tonight. I made a batch the other day following Sam's guide. I really didn't know what to expect other than the burning under my tongue but I was disappointed. Followed the instructions to the letter and feel nothing, other than burning mouth. Anyway, hopefully it is a decarb issue as I see that as being the only real major difference between the recipes. Can't wait to try, high hopes!Sent from my VS980 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Sorry to hear you're GD using my method didn't turn out well. You didn't decarb? Come over to my thread and tell me what you did and we'll get you fixed up.

I'm not saying to not do this one, whatever it is, but when you do, let's discuss it. There's always room for improvement, whether my methods or anyone else's. :)

6. I made a mistake. I thought it was your guide Sam. It was actually "MasterWu" that I used. It all seems the same as this funky hunky method other than the decarb temps. My last batch I did I decarbed at 325 for 5 mins per instructions. If that temp is to high then that's my problem right there. Funky's recipe calls for a decrease in temp.Sent from my VS980 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Yeah, that decarb's way too high. Let us know how this turns out for you.  :)

8. Quick question before I get started. It seems in the instructions that there isn't an exact ratio of bud and alcohol to use. It says to use enough to cover the baked buds. This is accurate? Meaning if I bake an eighth there isn't a stone cold reason to use exactly 2oz of alcohol?Sent from my VS980 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. No, it's not an exact amount. As with any Green Dragon, you want to make sure it's well covered with a little extra but various parts of the plant take up different volumes, bud not as much but trim almost twice as much for the same weight so use your judgement. :)

10. Another question - what is the explanation behind the water bath being capped at 170? What would happen if it was at 180-190-200? Sent from my VS980 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. The alcohol boils at 170. If the water is hotter, the alcohol will boil away before the extraction is complete. :)  

12. Made my batch last night and had some about an hour before bed. I made it with some HQ sativa and boy oh boy I was out in space. This recipe works great! I do not have a portable thermometer so I was continuously increasing and lowering stove top temp trying to keep the alcohol just at a simmer. I was also able to squeeze the shit out the ground up bud and extract some additional liquid. Overall it's a great experience and I'll be making plenty more. Thanks for the guides guys, they work!Sent from my VS980 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #13 funkyhunky, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
    No problemo mr. fisher, I'm really glad it worked out as well for you as it did for me, and thank you Sam for responding to his questions while I was away skiing! :hello:

Now that I look back, I think the only other thing my guide is missing is an explanation of how you can "boil off" the alcohol to decrease the volume of the green dragon. This can be dangerous without very good ventilation as all the vapors are highly flammable! Also Mr fisher you made a good point in that all the liquid should be squeezed from the bud once done.

My recipe for hot GD is really no different than anyone else's, I just found a great resource for the decarbing step and incorporated the information into the standard procedure.

14. Thanks for the guide Funkyhunky.

Just made first batch. 120C (250F)decarb for 27minutes, then the 8th went into 60mls (2oz) of Polish Pure (95%) in double boiler for 20 mins.

The final product ended up as 27mLs of light green/amber GD with lots of clouds (trichs?!). Topped it up to 30mLs, shook, took a full dropper 30 mins ago.

Will let you know how I get on.

15. So far I've had no luck... this time around.  I made GD twice about 6 years ago, I don't remember which recipe I followed but I ended up with very powerful tincture both times. 

Tried again just recently following MasterWu's recipe... total dud... I get absolutely nothing from it. 

So I tried again following this recipe.. total dud... again I get nothing.  

No idea whats happened... used a good candy therm and oven therm to confirm temperatures.  Followed instructions to the letter and no go.

Very dissapointing, wish I could remember how I made it years ago.  

Take a look at this one:  Dragon Lite  :)

17. You're recipe sounds well researched-wouldn't be surprised if it works as advertised [​IMG]I'm planning on trying yours out after I make Sam's.

Your's essentially looks like his, except you seem to have cut out the meticulous freezing steps and opted for heat only method. Have you tried [member='PsychedelicSam'] method? Can you explain the difference in his freezing/agitation method to help infuse the solution .vs plain heating and why your method is essentially instantaneous while pulling ≈80% efficacy?

The few semi-scientific thoughts I initially had were that Sam's procedure takes a few bouts of 24 hour freezings/agitations because he's working with molecules that would be less inclined to dissipate in the solution due to the low temperatures, and in yours they'd be bouncing around everywhere mixing up more rapidly... makes sense superficially.

... then I thought, "Well, Sam reduces his finished product through the same process of simmering and reduction as you do? [​IMG]" Essentially, your process is Sam's process with the freezing step cut out-just decarb (if it needs it.. -Sam) and double-boiler/simmer w/alcohol 20m, repeat if you want a potentially 15% higher THC yield.

Effectively, what you're saying with you're hot recipe is that Sam's process of freezing is-for all intensive purposes-not a crucial step. I will soon be trying my best to discover the unbiased truth for myself. Till then, I summarize my ramblings into a small paragraph riddled with emoticons who appear to be lackadaisically researching something (and a taco, because I'm always forgetting to eat):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Your recipe/method using HEAT only promises instant results, which is unbelievably tantalizing-however I feel that it lacks experience and vital user testimonial. Though that will not stop me from trying it... you have evidence behind your method and it reads believably enough, so I'm definitely game.

.VS

Sam's comes bearing a hefty title right out of the gates: † Father of the Dragon †
    ...that alone says a great deal in itself-a recipe that can exist for so long in an underground culture riddled with such harsh critics is a testament I'd think. Also, from what I've read Sam seems like an insanely affable dude with nothing to prove and I really like that.

I hope this comes across the wires alright, don't mean to stir any drama into this (pun intended)-just trying to pare it all down to the best truth for myself and anyone else in the same predicament as me-too much layman science (on my behalf), too many convoluted theories, too much confusion and subsequent discouragement, too much looking & not enough doing! [​IMG]