Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

OK, 50 Year old first timer heading to Denver....

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by MissouriGuy, Jan 9, 2014.

1. The four of you are going to have such a great time, I'm a little jealous. :)  Getting high shouldn't be a problem as the suggestions above indicate. It's what to do while high in hotel rooms that might be an issue unless you plan to talk the whole time? No, didn't think so. Make sure the hotel has cable (Comedy Central may become your new favorite channel) or plan to hook someone's laptop up to the tv and either show stuff on the hard drive or stream from Netflix or YouTube. 

You'll also want to get some munchies beforehand because a bunch of guys fighting over a bag of Cheetos doesn't look good. Grab some snacks at a local store and add some bottled water or energy drink, as smoking will dehydrate you. Find a local pizza joint that delivers, or whatever kind of food you want - the delivery is key.

Have a great trip!

2. Agreed with many of the posts in here. If you're there for 2 days and you guys have never consumed cannabis before, getting a quarter ounce each is complete overkill. Even though you guys are new, I always have lived by "better to have and not need than to need and not have". A little more than you'll probably need is alright and since you don't want to get caught bringing it out of state, you can always give the leftovers to an adult. It's something I would do rather than throw it away if I didn't want to chance taking it home. As far as quantity, I'd say anywhere around an 1/8th (3.5 grams) should be more than enough. Save the money from buying 1/4's and use it on a few good meals.

Also, while cannabis does not impair people anywhere near what alcohol does, I'd still suggest not driving after consuming since you're new and don't know the kind of effects you will have. Safety first, of course. A glass pipe (spoon style) will suffice and the only thing you would need to know about them is that they usually have a "carb" which is a hole on the side of the bowl (where the cannabis goes) so that you can clear the smoke inside the pipe. Keep your thumb over it while you burn the cannabis and when you start feeling like you may cough, pull your thumb off of the carb. Once the cannabis "cherries"/stays lit, try not to use the lighter anymore as butane doesn't taste all that great, lol. Take a hit or two and wait 5-10 minutes. If you want more, repeat. Breaking apart the cannabis before loading it into the bowl should help it burn more evenly. Pack it, but not too tight or you will restrict air flow. A new pipe won't catch any ash that gets sucked into it either since there's no resin/residue on the inside, so be prepared to possibly get a tiny bit in your mouth towards the end of a bowl. Simple adjustment is to not inhale as hard towards the end.

Another thing you will probably want to know is that there are differences between Indica and Sativa strains of cannabis. Indica will mellow you out. You'll most likely want to relax, BS with your friends, crack jokes, etc. I consume indica strains in the evening to help me sleep and relax. Indicas are more of a "body high". Sativas are more of a "day-time" smoke. You might feel energetic and want to go explore/do things. These are the "heady/cerebral" type of strains. Sativas and I don't do well together at night....it magnifies my insomnia something fierce. Hybrid strains are where 2 (or more) strains have been crossed. Sometimes they'll be 60% Indica & 40% Sativa, sometimes 50/50 and other times 90/10. Obviously, it can vary in many different ways. With it being legal in Colorado, they probably have this information available to you, but I live in Washington State, so I can't say for sure. Just letting you know so you understand the numbers and what you're reading while you're looking.

Edibles, I'd probably stay away from for a first timer, lol. If made well, they're fucking delicious and you will probably consume way more than you intend. It takes much longer to start feeling the effects from them as well, so you might be tempted to eat more and regret it later. The duration also is a fair bit longer. To control the dosage, smoking is probably the most effective as it hits you pretty quick and you'll know whether you want a little more or are good to go.

Some strains I'd recommend:

Indica or Indica Dominant Hybrid:
    Purple Kush
    Northern Lights
    Afghan Kush
    DJ Short's Blueberry
    LA Confidential
    God Bud
    Tahoe OG
    Cherry Pie
    ChemDawg

Sativa or Sativa Dominant Hybrid:
    Chocolope
    Alaskan Thunderfuck // Matanuska Thunderfuck aka ATF or MTF
    Sour Diesel
    Jack Herer
    Super Lemon Haze
    Panama Red
    Blue Dream
    Durban Poison
    OG Kush
    Trainwreck

The list goes on & on. Use your senses of smell & sight. Strain isn't everything....it's how well it was grown, treated, etc. I can appreciate every strain if grown right.

So yeah. The glass spoon pipe will work. Joints will work and they'll probably have Pre-Rolled ones in the shops. I'd inquire about whether the pre-rolls you're purchasing are indica or sativa, just so you know what you might experience after consuming. If you become over-whelmed, just remember that it's temporary and you'll be fine. lol. In the evenings I always enjoy a strong indica strain, sitting around a fire with some good music on in the background while BS'n with my friends. OH, and I don't suggest mixing alcohol in because unless you're used to it, that's a quick way to get the spins and start feeling like shit. If I can be of anymore assistance, feel free to message me. I hope you enjoy your vacation, the cannabis and create some good memories :) Be safe and, of course, have a ton of fun!

3. if you're brand new to smoking you probably wont want to try edibles unless you really wanna get fucked up haha. But honestly 1/8th of dank will last you 2 days easier, try smoking from a bong or pipe imo. Joints too me are just meh

4. Good post

5. Are you going to be their for 2 days and 1 night (so only 1 time smoking) or 2 days 2 nights (for 2 times smoking?) I'd pick up a gram of a sativa and a gram of a indica. Might aswell try both while your there!

As for a bong being harsher, it's a bigger hit yea but the smoke is cooler. I didn't have any problem my first hit. 2nd hit burnt my throat pretty bad though but just have something to drink.

Also you'll want to get some 91+% ISO and some salt + baggie to clean the pipe your gonna get so it won't have any thc residue making it illegal to bring back. Like someone else already said it should be a nice souvenir, might get some more use too :smoke:

6. If you roll joints ur good if not by a really cheap 20 dollar glass pipe

Thanks! A lot of great information. We are not planning on driving once we get to steamboat!

8. #29 EvoMan454, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
    I just want to leave you with a few valuable tips before your trip.

Dont smoke on a completely empty stomach. That could make you feel sick and lightheaded. Drink water and stay hydrated when smoking, because your blood sugar levels drop when you smoke (nothing to worry about, simply eating will get it back up).
    Please dont smoke too much, if you and your friends feel high enough, go find something to do and come back to the weed later. Many first time smokers think it takes a lot of weed to get high, and then they smoke waaay too much and feel funny. Weed is not harmful, but just moderate yourselves. Make sure you inhale properly so you can actually get high, a lot of new smokers take the smoke into their mouth then blow it all out which is why they dont get high. I got high my first time and you have to get that smoke into your lungs. Only hold the smoke for like seconds, then blow it out. Holding smoke longer does not get you higher. Lastly, i just want to say that after you smoke, go do something fun like going to the movies, snowboarding, going out to eat, and see how different but fun normal things are when you are high.

9. You might want to buy a simple small bong to use. Just make sure after you take in the initial smoke, you inhale after that, then exhale. Try to follow that. Also, make sure the weed is broken down/grinded and not really big pieces. I got high my first time I smoked, because I inhaled. As long as you do that, you will get high. You should start to feel it after 2 bowls or 3 since you're with 3 people too.

10. @[member="MissouriGuy"] what hotel are you guys staying at that allows it? Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. I would buy a pre-rolled joint, most of the shops sell them. If you decide to buy a pipe then make sure it's broken up upon lighting it. Don't overdue it and remember inhale after you take a hit.Hope you have a good time man!Sent from my iPad Air

12. Ask for "indica" if you want to feel mellow and chilled out.Ask for "sativa" if you want to be euphoric and trippy.Ask for a "hybrid" if you want a little of both!Also don't get mad if you don't get high your first timeSent from my iPad Air

13. Don't forget to inhale. Nobody really went too much into this because it's pretty common sense, but I see you've never smoked anything at all. After you pull smoke into your mouth and throat, you need to take a small breath to pull the smoke from your upper airway down into your lungs. Count seven seconds then exhale slowly to prevent coughing and irritation. Also, a pipe might be a bit harsh. You might want to consider a small bong. You can usually find one under 30 at your LHS. Good luck man! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

14. [quote name="MedicRevolution" post="19332182" timestamp="1389627289"]Don't forget to inhale. Nobody really went too much into this because it's pretty common sense, but I see you've never smoked anything at all. After you pull smoke into your mouth and throat, you need to take a small breath to pull the smoke from your upper airway down into your lungs. Count seven seconds then exhale slowly to prevent coughing and irritation. Also, a pipe might be a bit harsh. You might want to consider a small bong. You can usually find one under 30 at your LHS. Good luck man! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.[/quote]Holding in most smokes in your lungs for any longer than 2-3 seconds only causes slight irritation and discomfort.No biggie, but id stick to 2-3.

15. #37 CO Green, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
    There's a store in Steamboat that sells rec:
    https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/colorado/north-west-colorado/rocky-mountain-remedies-adult-use?c=search

If your travel permits shopping in Denver, there are threads reviewing the rec stores that are currently open. I suggest you buy a pre rolled jay, and a gram of whatever smells the best, and a small glass pipe. There will be supply available, but watch out for poorly cured bud (grass- hay smell). Trust your nose and eyes, in that order, and ask questions. 

Some minor cautions:

Don't smoke immediately on arrival in Colorado; wait until at least the evening of the day of arrival, to give your body time to adjust, and avoid altitude sickness, which really sucks and will ruin your trip. Stay hydrated, avoid over exertion (you'll feel the lower oxygen levels when you exercise), and indulge in moderation! As you are first timers, I would suggest you avoid mixing alcohol and cannabis.
    http://www.powderhounds.com/usa/ski-colorado/altitude-sickness.aspx

In the below thread, I linked to some Colorado activities blades may find interesting:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/1291138-i-need-some-colorado-based-knowledge.html

16. I really enjoyed reading this thread. Will be headed to Denver for 4th of July weekend to toke and hike. What are the best rec dispensaries? How long are the lines usually?

17. You guys could probably split an eighth. You can get high off crumbs basically.