Garden of Lorien: C99 Lemon Kush

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Gandalf_the_Green, Jan 7, 2014.

1. #801 ChefZiggy, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    Dude...It's like we're twins sometimes. My wife is the same way. Well, except for the pregnant part. Congrats again on the impending delivery!

Haven't had a smoker gal (other than cigarettes) since my first.

She was a redhead too.

I'm such an idiot.

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.

2. #802 unplugged, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

Yeah man. It was definitely a trippy experience (literally many times lol). I was close with her husband too and the three of us had a lot of great times. It was funny how alike she and I were and how alike her husband and my wife were. But over the years as she and I become closer and closer an undercurrent of something more developed. One day something happened that made me realize that I could have her if I wanted her. All I had to do was ruin two marriages. I had to make a choice.

A part of me very much wanted to go there. But I knew that, however appealing it might seem in my mind, death and destruction would be left in that wake. Not only could I not justify betraying my wife and a man I called a brother but I really believed that she was better off with her husband than she would be with me. And I was better off with my wife. She and I are both very type B and we need our strong type A spouses to help keep us in check. Together we would have consumed and destroyed each other, although we would have had a helluva time doing it. ;)

The choice I made had consequences I didn't foresee and it's been a couple years since I've seen them now. I miss them. I hope they understand why I did what I did. I hope I can have that kind of friendship again one day.

haha I think I know what you mean. I'm an idiot too.  :unsure:

Thanks!

3. Neither of you are idiots. You made the choices that you made because they were best for you at the time. And as much as we all wish we could have something new to 'play' with, how would you survive without your wife? We stayed with these women, no matter how crazy or annoying, because they do something to us. There's always the one that got away. I'm only 25 years old and I let one get away, too.

Just gotta remember that everything happens for a reason! And plus, if you had someone new, just think how long it'll be before you can fart in front of them again!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. ^^ lol
    Yeah I let one get away too. She wanted to be apart of my life so bad but I just wasn't ready and I wasn't sure. I could have saved her life and now I don't know what happened to her. She would have taken care of me, I think. A lot better than the girl I left her for.. :unsure: *sigh*

Right on. I would not survive without my wife. I might have had more fun at times without her but fun is ephemeral and shouldn't be overvalued. If I stop thinking about myself I know I made the right decision for everyone involved. Selfishness never produces good fruit in the long run. 

I'm still an idiot though; for many reasons. lol  :rolleyes:

6. Lol actually Yeah, I'm definitely an idiot otherwise, too. Choosing my girl might have been the smartest thing I did, actually lmao

7. I realized I never put up these two pics I took..... So part of the reason I took down the SIP last time was that I didn't think it was wicking properly into the solo cups and the plastic 1 gallon grow bags that I have my basil and lettuce in.  I put holes in the bottoms of the cups, and there are holes in the grow bags, but the contact just wasn't good enough, it seemed.

So!  I wanted to switch back to the SIP, but I also needed my clones in solos to get proper wicking.  So I went back to an old trick I used 2 grows ago.... I had a girl in one of those crappy little peat/wood "jiffy" cups and I was going out of town, but there was no room in the tent to TP her into anything bigger.  I knew it was going to dry out way too early, so I put a cup of water next to it, cut a long piece of sock, and dipped the sock into the water, then tucked the other end of the sock under the Jiffy cup.  Instant wicking!  The girl survived the weekend in great shape.

So for this cloning go-round, I cut thin strips of an old sock, and tucked it into the holes on the bottoms of the cups, then filled the cups with extremely well-cycled soil and put the cuttings right into the soil.... and watered them in with small amounts of kelp tea/liquid silica/aloe/coconut water.  It's wicking wonderfully!  I did the same thing with the 1 gallon grow bags, and they are wicking excellently, as well.  They seem to be doing well, other than one that seemed to small to be using for cloning anyway, but I gave it a shot....

SIP, btw, is Sub-Irrigated Planter or Self-Irrigated Planter.... for more info on the one I am using, check out this thread: http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1151159-noobwannbs-self-wicking-smartpot-ghetto-setup.html 

Attached Files:

8. What's up bro. I hope your weekend was good and relaxing!

Hey, I checked the link you posted for the solo cup sip but didn't see the post for it there. Can you tell me the post number or tell me how you did yours? I've used smart sips every since Noob first showed how to do it. She was a cool blade.

Thanks man..... it was..... something lol.  Really great beach party..... I ended up getting sick late night, which is really rare for me.  But I still enjoyed the party! lol  And the weather was awesome

The link I gave was to Noob's ghetto stye SIP.... just wanted to help some of the blades who didn't know what SIPs are at all.  That's cool you knew Noob, she was pretty much gone by the time I started checking out her thread.

I'm starting to see gnats living in the SIP, though..... any tips on that?  I sprinkled DE on my soil, and they seem to be staying away from my plants so far..... but it is disconcerting to see them.....

So yeah, with the SIP... here's a description I just posted in AW's thread:

I just did the basic Noob-style perlite SIP bed.... but previously I had found that no matter how large I cut the holes in the bottoms of the solos, there was always a problem getting enough contact between the soil/perlite in the cup and the perlite in the SIP to get proper wicking.  So what I did was cut strips of cloth from an old sock..... and I would take a strip of cloth and tuck both ends into different holes in the bottom of the cup and pull it tight so the cloth travels across the bottom of the cup, and then up into the cup through the holes.  This works perfectly..... I'm still learning how to keep water levels right in the SIP (I keep over-watering), but there is absolutely no problem with wicking.

Attached Files:

10. Okay, I see now. That's a good idea man. I root my clones in perlite cups and i know how hit or miss it can be even with keeping the water level right in the res cup. I just beat my gnats and springtails back to the point where they're not flying all over the house (knock on wood). light sprinkles of neem meal watered into everything....including my worm bin. They're still there but not like before. I've also noticed some predator mites in my worm bin that I'm sure have alot to do with things also.

I'll tell ya what bro, I got a charge of good energy this morning on my way to work. Hard to explain it but I just got it in my head that today may not be the best but it sure as heck ain't gonna be a bad one either if i can help it. I wish you and every body else the same blessing man. ;)

11. @[member="Gandalf_the_Green"]

dude..

so that cup w/ the sock in it holds the cup with the soil and plant?

or are you planting directly into the sock cup? :p

For sure man.... at first I was trying to keep a certain amount of standing water in the res, but that resulted in overwatering symptoms.  For now I'm just picking up pots and feeling them to see if the res needs more water... hoping that with experience I'll figure out the right schedule.

BrassNWood gave me a good idea in AW's thread..... mosquito dunks!  The active ingredient is BT israelensis, so it's a bacterium, completely organic and safe.... since the fuckin gnats are living in the SIP, I figure just putting the BT in the water that goes in the res should kill the bastids.  I already ordered it, so we'll see lol

Killer bro!  I used to be better at this practice, but one thing you can do is spend 5-10 minutes each morning picturing yourself having a great day.  What do you need to take care of, what attitude you will have, how it will feel to have such a good day, etc.  You still want to be realistic.... if you have a big stressful meeting, or lots of chores, or whatever... just picture yourself having a good time while doing those things, and what you can do to help make that a good time.

Obviously we can't control the universe, but there is truly a lot of power in positive visualization.... 

I planted directly into the sock cup.... that way there is maximum contact between the soil and the sock.  The wicking has been fantastic.... only real problem is that I've never really worked a SIP before and I was adding too much water, trying to keep a certain amount of standing water in the bottom. 

gotchya.. that's what i figured.

i'm already planted in cups, so i think a tray of perlite may be my only option..

but it's only for a week, so i don't think the gnats will go too crazy.. and if they do i'll just dupm the perlite out in the veggie garden.

thanks again for the help dude..

15. Don't quote me on this cause I'm not sure it's making a difference but i also took my perlite and soaked it in a spinosad solution when I cleaned the tent out from the last cycle. My entire liner in the tent is filled with an inch or so of perlite and my smart pots just sit directly on top (Noob style). Man, I had sprintails, gnats, ants...you name it. They were in the pots mostly but then I started seeing them in the perlite as well and with the way it's supposed to work, the perlite was always moist so they loved it I'm sure...ugh! The spinosad soak really helped I think and will be a regular part of the clean up from now on.

Hey here is something I've been wondering about. If one uses protekt or agsil in waterings, will the plants recieve any benefot from it being soaked from the perlite or will it only work being top watered?

Cool man.... I'll have to consider using my liner that way..... probably deeper than the trays I'm using now...   I don't have any Spinosad, though.... it's probably a crazy thing to admit, but my IPM is minimal..... only neem, silica and aloe.  Living on an upper floor of an apartment building in the middle of the city... I dunno I haven't had any problems yet, knock on wood lol.  Well obviously gnats, but no mites or PM, I mean.

I've seen some posts that indicate the silica will wick up into the pots.... one recently by waktoo in Noob's ghetto SIP thread.  However, there are also several posts by CC that indicate there is a distinct, separate advantage to actually spraying the silica on the leaves and stem.  So maybe a mixture of the two is best?  And you could foliar them with the silica without removing them from the SIP

17. Hey gandalf, what does the unsalted molasses do for the plants again?

18. I like that idea. I can't help but to think that I'm wasting protekt when i dump it on my perlite like that. I always hope its benefiting the plants but as we already know, the only ways to be sure are through documented evidence or a side by side comparison. I still occasionally top water. Mostly for kelp/alfalfa soil drenching but i think that contributes to soil compacting....just my observation. I need to step it up on foliar spraying so the addition of silica to that definitely sounds do-able.

I think I'll do a kelp/aloe/protekt this week and watch how things progress.

lol not listening to Neon again, are you?   :poke:

Unsulfured molasses doesn't do anything for the plants.  Some people believe it will sweeten your buds, or boost growth somehow, or any number of other magical claims.  There's no science to back any of it up, and if you ask them for science, they'll pretty much just chalk it up to their experience.  It's what is commonly called "stoner science".... I think of it as an example of 'confirmation bias.'  Worth a google.... it's what makes psychic readings work.  It means that people tend to favor information that confirms their already-held belief.  If you really believe that molasses will make your buds sweeter, you will tend to find info (or interpret info in such a way) that confirms your already-held belief.

The only thing blackstrap unsulfured molasses is good for (in a garden) is making Aerated Compost Teas (ACTs).  The molasses provides a carbohydrate food source for the microbes to feed on.  An ACT provides no nutrition to your soil or plant, but inoculates your soil with a huge population of bacteria, fungi, and protozoa.... these are the powerhouses in an organic soil that make nutrients available to your plant, so you want your soil to be chock full of 'em.

The only places for a beginner to go to for reliable info on ACTs are www.microbeorganics.com and this GC thread: http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1110985-act-aerated-compost-tea.html .

The website was built and is run by Tim Wilson.  That GC thread was started by MicrobeMan aka Tim Wilson.  Take his word for gold when it comes to brewing ACTs.  He may not know everything about ACTs, but he's about as close as you'll ever get.

Got any fulvic?  I'd try to work that in, as well......