Garden of Lorien: C99 Lemon Kush

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Gandalf_the_Green, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Hmmmm... well my one lady still looks fantastic!  Growing nicely, and I can see her second set of true leaves emerging.

The other.... no sign yet.  I am thinking it is probably dead.  Thus, I put another Lemon Kush in paper towels to germ.  I just have a gut feeling that the girl who survived is a C99.  Besides, I don't want to use another C99 seed.... this is my first organic grow and I want to dial it in a bit more before I go popping all my C99 seeds.  If I wind up with two Lemon Kush plants, I will be able to deal with that lol.  And if the girl who I think might be dead sprouts up in the next day.... then I'll happily grow 3 plants!

Attached Files:

2. The new seed popped, so I planted it in the solo last night.  I also took my solos off the SIP for now.  I think the soil is staying too damp for seedlings... may have been what killed the other seed.  Jerry had mentioned (and I am now reading it again in his journal) that the CoM stuff is pretty darn heavy stuff.... I put what I thought was a ton of perlite in there, but it still doesn't seem to be draining all that well.  Will be certain to mix more rice hulls into my cycling mix before the big transplant.  It's all good, but I definitely don't think I can use the SIP as much with seedlings... at least unless I mix in a lot more aeration next time....

Also, I gave them a good spraying of water with silica and aloe pulp from my aloe plant..... hopefully the silica and aloe saponins will help the new seed take root!

3. Looks liek a good start man! I hear that CoM is heavy as can be...

take it easy Gandalf! I got a poster of middle-earth here at my desk at work. :D

4. Sweet man!  Thanks for stopping by

Gandalf has been one of my favorite characters since I first read the trilogy in elementary school lol  Do you have an image of that poster?  Is it one of the maps from the appendices, or is it an artist's rendering?

5. Oh!  And my new sprout is poking out of the soil now!  She still has her seed cap on, so hopefully her final push through the soil will help it off.  If not, I'll help her out.  I have found previously that if I put a single drop of water on the seed casing every couple of hours, it helps soften it up and the sprout can push it off more easily.  Also, I hit my cycling soil with another AACT... same basic recipe as last time.

6. Here it is:

My friend gifted me an older copy of the 'unfinished tales', which was pretty good. I was so happy to find this map inside the back cover. I think it's great! I'd say it's about the size of 4 pieces of paper. Have you read the Silmarillion? Tolkien considers it his masterpiece. His head is such a tough nut to crack, he was too smart for the general public to grasp his stories and all the characters and everything. hahaha

Attached Files:

• map.jpg
      map.jpg
      File size:
      460.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Good luck with the soil. it sounds like you know how to fix it. aerate! :)

8. Yup, read Silmarillion.... tougher read than LoTR, but more epic and historical.... but also very mystical.  Love it.  Never read Unfinished Tales.  Good read, I'm sure?

My second lady popped soil this morning completely, and the shall casing had come off!  She looks great, nice and green.  Good stuff, although my first girl is still yellowish.  So this afternoon I gave them both a EWC/Perlite topdress, hopefully that'll get her some good stuff, without being too dense.  Will probably still end up TPing her over the weekend.... Pics soon!

I was only able to make it about halfway through the Silmarillion when I read it. Granted, I was a teenager at the time but I recall it being really dry. lol The Hobbit was my favorite of the books. The LotR books were good too but much slower.

10. Ya, they're all slow reads but the hobbit. haha. I guess you have to have a dry personality to read them. :)

The unfinished tales is pretty broken up and has like 'articles' or short stories on various characters. The best 'chapter' was the one about the wizards. The rest is so-so. The silmarillion remains my favorite but I think it's to boring for most. I read it a number of times and I used to read the LoTR yearly. ;)

11. I have yet to read any of em'...   :bolt:   Watched the LOTR movies an was blown away! Sooo Good!   Was a youngin when I seen em in theaters an was jus swept away in the world.  First hobbit movie was hard to watch, matching it up to LOTR makes it worse! 

12. #52 Gandalf_the_Green, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
    Alright.... found a fantastic new beer!  I had been caught up recently with Delirium Tremens.... but I found Sly Fox Incubus Tripel, which I must say is a delicious Belgian White, with almost 2% more alcohol (10.3%) than Tremens, and $3 less ($6 pint where I am).  Highly recommend trying it!

My girls are lookin nice!  The new sprout is beautiful and green, and my girl who had been struggling.... she's still a bit yellow on her second set of leaves, but I can now see she's finally putting out her third set of leaves which look good and green so far.  I'm encouraged.  Pics tomorrow!

Edit: Also Sly Fox is a domestic beer (Pennsylvania) and Tremens is imported from Belgium, so definitely a smaller carbon footprint with Sly Fox lol

13. Hi GtG, I'm definitely going to watch Bro. You have done your homework, you're going to have a nice grow.Mj

Thanks bro!  I feel like if I can just get them into their fully-cycled soil, they'll take off like rockets!  But as long as they are in these solo cups, and in un-amended soil that I worry is too dense.... I'm not gonna feel fully comfortable.  Soil should be ready Feb 1, so not much longer to go.  Baby step to Feb 1...... baby step to Feb 1..... baby step to Feb 1! (love What About Bob)

Here are my ladies.... you can see that the older girl is definitely more yellowish than last time I posted pics.  But you can also see (sort of.... I'll use my actual camera next time instead of my phone) that she's already putting out her 3rd set of true leaves.... and the new growth seems a bit darker than the old growth.... so I'll give her a bit more time before I do something drastic like TP.  And the young lady, she has a nice vibrant green look, so I'm quite happy with her.  And I'm keeping them off the SIP until they are in smart pots.  I'm still filling up the SIP, however, to keep the humidity at least in the 32-38% range.

Everything is clicking along in the Garden of Lorien right now..... 

Attached Files:

15. Alright!  So I took them off the SIP a few days ago to let them thoroughly dry out.  I kept misting the top to give the girls enough moisture to get by, but I wanted the middle and lower part of the cups to dry out a good bit so they wouldn't hold so much moisture.  Well last night I decided they had dried out enough and gave them a good watering.... probably 10oz between the two of them.... just water, some molasses to remove the chloramine, and liquid silica.  Well they seemed to love it!  Now they aren't water-logged, they can really take advantage of the intermittent waterings.  You can see how much they have grown in just the last 48 hours (since the last pics I posted)

Attached Files:

16. Heya gandalf! Looking great! I just had the same issue with the sip I think. I had my plants in 1 gal pots on top of wicking media and they stayed way too wet... glad to see things turnin green for ya :)The seedlings look excellent! I'll be excited to see them explode in the new soil.I may brew one of these miniature ACT's that u got goin.. hehe.. I've got an ecoplus commercial air pump comin my way via amazon soon. :D :devious: then i'll be ready for some serious tea makin.

17. Heya Gandalf  :wave:  I'm a little late but I'm here for the long run. It's fun watching a first run - the learning experience is great.

I read a little while back that when using the noobSIP most folks do add a bit extra aeration, so keep that in mind before you transplant (especially if you're going with smart pots). I haven't used it yet but intend to try soon, I'll probably add ~10% more perlite to my mix to compensate for the constant wicking. Possibly a mix with less peat vs more perlite would work as well? Who knows.

Anyways, glad to see you got a couple going. Just watch 'em skyrocket in a week or two! And most importantly have fun with it  :smoke:

18. TJ- Yeah, I don't know if I will do sips for seedlings from now on... will have to really think about it.  But the SIP, combined with the heaviness of the CoM, that was just too much.  If 33% aeration is the norm, 40-45% is good for SIPs, and when dealing with CoM, it probably needs to be 50-55% aeration, insanely enough.  At least for seedlings in solos.... I would think that SmartPots, which allow much more oxygen penetration, would help with this issue.

I have one other theory as well.... I'm using a long, but fairly shallow tray.  I was thinking that it is difficult to keep the water at least 1 inch below the level of my cups (which is what noobwannb recommended.... keeping 1" separation).  If the water was filling up too close to the pots, that could have contributed to the water-logging.

Chipped- Welcome!  Thanks for stopping by!  I've had two previous grows actually.... the first I aborted before flipping to flower due to...... security breach lol.  The second grow I had a timer crap out while I was on vacation and my plants pretty much died.  I was able to harvest about an ounce of *decent* but very fluffy, hairy buds.  But I vaporized some of it today, and it got me for sure lifted... just gotta pack the vape 3-4x more.  That said- yes, I am really hoping this is the first grow I get to take all the way through to complete fruition.  

And this is my first organic indoor cannabis grow, so that definitely makes me feel like it's square one lol.  I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere, and we used to amend our garden with just our horse's manure and some of our kitchen/yard waste compost, and grow tons of veggies and herbs.  I didn't think of it then as organic gardening, but it definitely was.

I'm going to mix a good bit more rice hulls into my final mix before I transplant after what I've learned about CoM and how dense it is.  And soon I'm going to start adding humic acid to my waterings, so I think/hope that'll really get them going!

19. Right on man, sounds like you and I are about on par in terms of experience hehe. Oh and I noticed you mentioned the good ol' Delirium Tremens..that's a great beer, I love the bottles they use. I'll have to give the Sly Fox a try if I can find it on my way home tonight.

If you're into some high octane beer check out Stone Brewing Co. and Middle Ages Brewing Co. They're out of CA and NY, respectively, and I've been a fan for a few years.

20. Hey G! Lookin good! I got my ladies in a sip as we speak. BE nice to see the difference from COM. Does make me a lil nervous, but I underwatered my laddies this first go. Have the solos were dry when i TP. Shows even more how fuckin resiliant thiese plants are!  Need to take some pics my self, and do a lil math. Tryin member what day I put my gals in solos. They popped and I through them under the 300W. What days your gals at? Sorry for the laziness of not goin back an seein. lol   Be nice to have a lil growin partner, were pretty damn close in stages.