Growing in mushroom compost

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tylerm428, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Anyone else growing in mushroom compost?   It's supposed to have great aeration along with good moisture control and it's relatively cheap.

I've done a handful of grows using it and so far I've had excellent results

It's a little "hot" at 1-0.5-1.    I started out mixing in into my regular soil mix at a rate of 1/3rd mushroom compost.    I'm now up to 2/3rds mushroom compost.   On my last grow I transplanted a couple of plants into 100% mushroom compost and they loved it.

Thinking of trying a 100% mushroom compost medium on my next grow but am worried it'll burn the roots.

2. Did some searches.  Sounds like MC is very common in organic grows. 

Apparently it's a decent compost - but will be different between different mushroom farms.  Salt buildup and chemical sterilization can be problems depending on the mix.

Basically it can be anywhere from an "OK" medium up to an "Excellent" medium depending on what method the mushroom farm used to create and sterilize their compost.

3. I have always wondered about using that but there is a mulch that is a mushroom starter that the mushrooms grow and turn the mulch and organic materials into compost. Would that be to much nutrients or would it even it out for the entire grow? no problems *bongin* only solutions... yeah that sounds right

4. If it's a bagged product it should have the nutrient ratings on it.  Will tell you how hot the soil is at least.

Mushrooms are usually grown in partially composted manure.  Mainly cow/horse/chicken manure and a straw mix.  It usually starts life as the waste from a horse/cow/chicken barn.

5. It is basically spores that you put into any type of mulch whether it be leaves wood mulch or grass clippings. But the mushrooms eat the mulch material and turn it to compost I will find the linkno problems *bongin* only solutions... yeah that sounds right