Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cooking with Shatter?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Guest, Jan 4, 2014.

1. #1 Guest, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    So my friend gave me a gram of some BHO Shatter. Personally it's too strong to smoke, I prefer the feeling of bud, and I do not have the correct equipment to smoke BHO Shatter. Could I use this Shatter in edibles like I do with normal bud?

Also can anyone throw out some dosing? Usually 1oz bud to alb of butter. Will 1 gram of Shatter be equivalent?

2. you can put a nice dab on top of your flowers in a bowl and melt the wax down into the flowers then smoke that. it makes your bowl last 100x's longer. and you'll be super baked.

3. #3 Guest, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

Cool, I might try that! 

But could I infuse it into an oil, similarly the way you do with bud? Is it the same process?

4. You know whats funny? Alot of people keep asking this same question yet there arent many answers. Im gona try it next weekend. And @[member="melonuggz"] dope profile pic xD i love itSent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Just searched the topic and came up with a bunch of threads with the answers you're looking for provided by Kat, here are the two that are probably most relevant. It's essentially the same process as making canna oil with flowers, ensuring activation and promoting bioavailability, and in fact using concentrates (particularly firm ones) can require a little more effort early on in the process than working with flowers, between ensuring decarboxylation and fully dissolving the concentrate.
     But making up for the tedium in the beginning, you don't need to strain much if anything at the end when working with concentrates, beyond leftover wax and salt impurities invited in by certain solvents (besides being much more dense than the glandular material contained inside individual trichomes, which also slightly extends dissolve time, it is those impurities that can hinder a concentrate's ability to dissolve readily in oil, where those inert components are for the most part not oil soluble, and would be left behind when working with flowers... more info in the links below). :)

forum.grasscity.com/tokers-qa/1259798-how-do-i-consume-hash-oil.html#entry18995576

http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/1222525-edibles-wax.html#entry18544721

Just follows Kat's advice, she'll walk you through making that shatter into golden oil that is perfect for edibles or capsules. :)

[​IMG]

(A quick frozen wash in ethyl, solvent evaporated cold to preserve terpenes, finished with heat above, the process that Kat uses mostly for smoking and vaping, and a quick cold wash in ethyl, heat evaporated and purged, with continued heating after purging to cherry and encourage the formation of sedative CBN, below, for processing into edible oil for capsules!)
     [​IMG]

Enjoy your canna and be healthy!

- Q. | Assistant at BKCannaPharm

6. As always Kitty to the rescue!  ;)

Guess I will try it out and report back once I'm complete.

7. Yey BKS to the Rescue! Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I had a bad bronchial infection and could not smoke anything, so I got creative:
    I took a small dab of shatter, (the size of a grain of rice that would normally get me buzzed via vaping) and dropped it into a tablespoon, half-filled with butter.  I placed the  tablespoon  with butter/shatter mixture on top of my electric stove's heating element and set temperature knob on "2".  Using a digital thermometer to confirm the melted butter temperature was between 220 and 250 degrees F, I let it simmer for 45 minutes. After about 20 minutes the clear mixture started to show some particulate and after the 45 minutes there was a dark brown "dust" floating at bottom of spoon.

Removed the spoon from heat, dipped some bread into the melted butter mixture and ate it all.

30 minutes later started to feel a buzz and by one-hour was blasted.  High lasted 3-4 hours and was actually more pleasurable than the usual high attained by vaping shatter.

I don't know if I could have simmered it for less time and still got good results, but at least I can report that 45 minutes simmering time seems to work quite well.

I'd be interested to hear other's experiences with this.