Preparing for first ever grow. (PC Grow)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Ukukangu, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Tried cutting off jack of new adapter and splicing wires together, still nothing. Tried on 3 different fans, and this is the second brand new AC adapter so there's no chance they are all broken. Don't see what I can be doing wrong :/

2. Hey guys, went out early this morning to buy ANOTHER adapter, thinking I was going completely crazy at this point, wired it up and the fans are working! Can only assume both adapters before were broken! Maybe I broke them? Haha...we'll I'm just happy the fans are working.

3. [quote name="Ukukangu" post="19367878" timestamp="1390123895"]Hey guys, went out early this morning to buy ANOTHER adapter, thinking I was going completely crazy at this point, wired it up and the fans are working! Can only assume both adapters before were broken! Maybe I broke them? Haha...we'll I'm just happy the fans are working.[/quote]Great news! Glad you got it working finally. :) Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. Can you confirm the details of the adapter you bought that works? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. #45 Ukukangu, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
    Cheers mate, thought I was going crazy or just being stupid! Turns out was just very unlucky...

Details are;
    Operating Voltage 230Volts, 50Hz
    Current Rating: Up to 1,200m A
    DC output: 3V, 4.5V, 5V, 6V, 9V and 12V (Has a slider on it to adjust voltage output, quite cool)

And it's just called an AC/DC Mains adapter. Have found identical one on B&Q website..

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/batteries-chargers/chargers/B-and-Q-Multi-Voltage-Adaptor-12848668?icamp=recs

6. Do you know what was wrong with the other adapters? Wrong voltage? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. The one I bought online has the right voltage and a higher current rating (2,000m A), although it was fairly cheap and sent from China so I think it was either faulty, or I broke it somehow...second adapter only had 1,000M A output voltage of 7V. Think it should have just run the fans slower but got nothing, tried it with something different and still nothing so again, I think it was either faulty or I broke it.

Either I got super unlucky with two broken adapters, or as soon as I touch things they break...not sure haha. Was much easier to actually wire up than I thought it would be, which is why I was so confused..wasn't sure how I could have messed up something so easy!

8. So are you running the new one on 12v setting? As that's what the fans require. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. #49 Ukukangu, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
    I will be yes, I tried the other settings and they just run the fans slower, thought this would decrease the sound if they were too loud but as they are pulling through a resistance making them slower makes them louder.

10. #51 Ukukangu, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    Can't really find anything on them. Any UK growers here used them before? Only seen 1 post saying possible fire hazard due to close proximity to plants / high humidity near socket.

11. [quote name="Ukukangu" post="19375212" timestamp="1390246182"]Can't really find anything on them. Any UK growers here used them before? Only seen 1 post saying possible fire hazard due to close proximity to plants / high humidity near socket.[/quote]I was going to use those. They will be fine. Ask in the UK growers thread otherwise. Personally I'm going to wire three lamp fittings together, check my thread for the ones I'm going to use. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

12. Hmm, really don't want to burn my place down haha. Not seen anyone using them, only seen them mentioned twice and both times the advice is to steer clear. Seen your idea, don't fancy wiring up as I will probably be even more paranoid about that...thinking of just buying a lamp holder + 125W bulb. But that's more money!

13. [quote name="Ukukangu" post="19375444" timestamp="1390248357"]Hmm, really don't want to burn my place down haha. Not seen anyone using them, only seen them mentioned twice and both times the advice is to steer clear. Seen your idea, don't fancy wiring up as I will probably be even more paranoid about that...thinking of just buying a lamp holder + 125W bulb. But that's more money![/quote]You could always just use 3 of these. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003EF7KI8/ref=s9_simh_awgw_d0_g60_i7/278-8262326-8696403?pi=SL115&aid=aw_gw&apid=437521927&arc=1201&arid=0XF453S48GB7B77129EB&asn=center-6&pf_rd_i=aw_gw&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=437521927&pf_rd_r=0XF453S48GB7B77129EB&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_t=1201Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

14. Or 1 and a strong bulb like you say. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

15. #56 Ukukangu, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
    Hadn't seen those before, pretty cool. Have no where to clip them onto though, think i'm going to return my CFLs and buy one big one with a
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecotechnics-Lamp-Hanger-Bulbs-Only/dp/B004735FP6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_1 and take down power strips, attach that at back of case. Hopefully it fits haha.

Thanks for the input RouxJr, am looking forward to your grow

16. Everything is pretty much set up now, light just about fits, think I might have a problem with heat though! My two exhausts are on, when I put my hand to it I can feel air coming out, but then when I put a piece of paper up to it the exhaust sucks the paper to the pc. Is this right? Does that show negative pressure...woulda thought the exhausts would have blown the paper away haha.

Are you sure your fans are blowing the way you think they are? If they were circulating a lot of air inside the case, that could cause a pressure drop too. I wouldn't think enough to suck a piece of paper to the vent though.

18. I was pretty sure, when I put my hand over it I can feel air being blown out which is why I found it odd when I put a piece of paper to the exhaust it sucked it towards the case...I'll check again when I get back

19. Tested it out with everything set up, temps were at 96f. Don't think any air is going from inside through the Carbon filters even though I can feel it blowing. Seems to be sucking in the middle of the fan, and blowing out on the edges...it's odd!

Took off one of the CFs and temps went down to 86f. Not sure how the smell will be now though, the fan without cf now exhausts slightly warmer air, whereas the one with the cf is exhausting very cold air, which leads me to believe its not air from inside the case...will probably just try and plant it tomorrow and see how it goes. When/if it gets to flowering I have an ONA block which I hope will suffice (maybe even buy some gel to put on fan blades), if not ill have to end it early and go back to the drawing board!

Also, no other places to put another exhaust on the pc, only other grate is at the top which is where the bulb is. Unless I can somehow attach it outside and create a light trap for that, but it'll have no cf.