Marijuana causes low sperm count

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by iSmokePurps, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Try it for yourself

2. Obviously not low enough to stop people from reproducing.

3. Aww the spermies are high 

4. #5 Storm Crow, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
    Ever watch "Super High Me"?  His sperm count went up!

Now in the case of tobacco smokers, sperm count goes way down, but ...

Marijuana-like Chemical Can Restore Sperm Function Lost to Tobacco Abuse
    (news - 2006)          http://www.rxpgnews.com/specialtopics/article_5093.shtml

And may I direct your attention to table 4 in this study? Non-users had lower levels of testosterone (21.9) than the heaviest cannabis users (32.5)!

Sex Hormones Levels as Influenced by Cannabis sativa in Rats and Men       (full – 2012)
    http://scialert.net/qredirect.php?doi=pjn.2012.419.422&linkid=pdf

And one last point, with all the pot smoking that was going on in the 1960s and 1970s :smoke: , there was absolutely NO shortage of hippie babies!  Seemed like a lot of us had a baby on our hip and another little one in tow!

Granny

5. I heard that smoking seeds would make you go sterile, this was when I was a teenager though but only tried seeds a few times back then with horrible results so I guess it is a good thing

6. In my experience yes it does kill off the spermies.
    My dad couldn't knock up my mum so she used a sperm donor for both me and my sister. She got knocked up first time on both accounts. Few months after he stopped smoking he was able to produce my brother no problems.

7. Tell that to my healthy almost 5 year old. He seemed to get procreated just fine. Haha and Im almost alwaysmedicated.

8. That's a double bonus, I get high and don't have to wear condoms....win win.  Pass the blunt!

[x] new/noob account
    [x] scary inference against marijuana usage that mirrors known debunked propaganda..a common theme of such fallacy filled post lately

10. I also work in a sperm bank so i know my stuff

Sent from my C6903 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. i have smoked pretty much daily since 20 and Im almost 32. Helped produce my son just fine so u definitely dont know ur shit. Its bogus propaganda.

12. #13 00Hassel, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014

Thank you for sharing these, G-Bird! I work in the health field and am always bookmarking interesting studies and pieces regarding hot topics like fertility. Especially the cannabis-related ones.

To the OP and also the sperm bank employee:

Let's say someone approached us on the street and declared, "Don't smoke cannabis because it will make you infertile/have low sperm count!"

Even if they were wearing a lab coat or a fancy badge that said "High Paid Official of XYZ" , we owe it to ourselves to put their statement under the microscope, hold it against science and credible observation, and see if it measures up.

First off, HOW exactly would cannabis reduce sperm count?

Looking at the implications of the endocannabinoid system... this modulatory system interacts with all of our main body functions, including immune and reproductive systems. Many researchers have actually referred to cannabis as a type of "supplement" that can be taken to supply our endocannabinoid system with the cannabinoids that are lacking. In some cases an individual may be experiencing health issues, preventing them from properly generating their own cannabinoids from within. A severe omega-3 deficiency comes to mind - lack of healthy fats in the diet = lack of a properly running lipid-based system, case in point the endo-C system.

As a side note, a lack of healthy fats has implications in fertility and hormone issues for both men and women. Perhaps the connection to the endo-C system is greater than previously thought?

Back on topic - consuming or administering cannabinoids acts as a supplement to that endo-C system. What the research and biochemistry shows us is that, if anything, supplementing with cannabinoids would INCREASE the efficiency and effectiveness of our bodily systems. Remember, the endo-C is a modulatory system that will help bring things back to balance. YES this extends all the way to cancer treatments through cannabinoids - modulating the immune system and cell function to properly mitigate rogue/damaged/cancerous cells.

The science says that supplying with cannabinoids will only make you more fertile!

The ONLY damning piece of evidence, as I have seen, is the potential to induce oxygen deficiencies in the body as a result of "crude" smoking. Basically, inhaling combusted plant-matter into the lungs. I am not privy to the actual numbers of what kind of harm this would cause - understanding also that the terpenes, flavonoids and cannabinoids greatly affect the potential harm (EDIT: reducing that potential harm) of cannabis smoke. That's why cannabis smokers, who are also cig smokers, enjoy a reduced risk of lung cancer - those precious compounds offer protective benefits. So it's not exactly the same, by any means, as comparing to cig smoke.

Consider also that smoked cannabis dilates the airways, enhancing respiration - or at least the volume of it. 

In terms of health, the healthy body is a highly oxygenated body. The bacterias, viruses and pathogens we want to stay away from are anaerobic and therefore, unlike you and I, cannot survive in a highly oxygenated environment. Other diseases and conditions spur from lack of oxygen also.

How much cannabis is required to be smoked in order to actually result in a loss of oxygenation?

Well, I believe it was Nixon (Or Reagon? please, any 420 historians here help me remember!) who conducted the monkey experiments that supposedly showed smoked cannabis to induce brain damage. The supposed mechanism was a result of robbing the body of oxygen. What was not publicized, however, was the actual test parameters!

I'm just going off memory here... Essentially the monkeys were administered gas masks and forced-fed the smoke. But the actual ratio was completely asinine. The equivalency would be like you and I smoking 15,000 joints a day or some ridiculous number! The unfortunate result was that in the force-feeding of smoke, they were completely deprived of air in the process.

So with any "study based claims" always feel free to investigate the parameters! Just think of how much reefer madness propaganda was propagated from this horrible, unethical, inhumane bastardization of science? There's probably still people today who believe the results of that "study!"

The POTENTIAL oxygen-depriving effects of inhaling combusted plant-matter are the only "one up" I give to potential health risks of cannabis. But these are immediately removed when the user chooses to consume edibles or vape their herb. If I'm not mistaken, most recommending doctors SHOULD be encouraging people to vape or go edible for this reason.

So this POTENTIAL risk is not even applicable to many users. It sure isn't qualified to be administered as a blanket statement regarding ALL cannabis consumption!

Long story short?

In the statement that cannabis results in infertility, sterility or low-sperm count:

HASSEL SAYS BS!!

There are many potential drivers to infertility - and today the US is at its back-to-back, consecutive, highest infertility rate! :(  - but I highly doubt cannabis is one of them.

As referenced earlier regarding the BABY BOOMERS - Smoke up and go make some babies! :smoke:

13. "correlation does not imply causation"

14. granny's list!!!!!! come stormcrow

15. Scary?!?! Its great news! That means like...no condoms anymore right? Just smoke first and ill be fine right?

wait, what...smoke marijuana...you don't inject it, I thought you had to inject marijuana..hmm...all the comparisons to <H>, <C>, and <M> the DEA uses just gets me confused I guess... :bongin: :smoking:

17. I don't want to bring children into this fucked up world, if anything it would make me want to smoke more if it was indeed true that it lowers your count....

18. Good, I don't really want kids tbh. 23 and already considered a vasectomy.

19. Also another good excuse to legalise if true, slow down the growth of population a bit maybe.