My Mom the DARE Instructor and her Medical Marijuana Card

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by JakalopeIVXX, Dec 27, 2013.

Wow a prion disease, sorry to hear that man. 

2. Saturday Dec 7th 2013

Mom only needed to get up once during the night to go to the bathroom and get a drink of water, we were able to get her to her chair and back in bed without an incidents or displeasure. She was still not having any problems drinking water at this time and she fell right back asleep afterwards. We had told her at dinner the night before that my brother was going to be there some time during the day and when she woke up at 6:30 she was ready to go.

She had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and even though it took her a little longer than usual,she only made a small mess in the process but finished it all including the two mini cinnamon rolls with her medicine with no problems. After breakfast we rolled Mom into the family room and she sat quietly while Dad and I tried to talk with her until my brother showed up at a little after 10 am The moment he walked in the door Mom wanted us to go for a walk. We put a coat on Mom and my brother and I headed out the door to take my Mom for a walk down the street while Dad stayed home to clean up.

The minute we were outside Mom was completely different. She hadn't been talking much the previous days and usually only spoke in very short sentences. We hadn't even got to the end of the driveway when Mom stopped us and pointed at the spot where we had taken the last photo as a family three years earlier and said "I love that pic" She then pointed to the weeping willow tree in front of the house "That tree still needs to go, such an ugly thing after the storm ruined it" The rest of the walk was the same way, we would stop at random intervals and she would look up at us from her wheelchair and ask us a random question about our lives. Rarely the same person got two questions in a row, and once she got her answer we would move on until the next random question.

When we got home from our walk and Mom needed to go to the bathroom my brother got his first real experience of what we were having to go through to get Mom out of her chair. He had only been there a week earlier at Thanksgiving when Mom was still able to take walks with her walker and was able to go to the bathroom with only a little assistance from Dad after, and this was an eye opening experience for him. We got Mom back in her wheelchair and brought her out to the kitchen for lunch. She had no problem eating her sandwich and two cookies with medicine and even wanted to take a nap after lunch

The rest of the afternoon was the same way, we went on several walks and just sat around talking all day, for the first time in awhile Mom was talkative and asking questions. Mom ate most of her dinner and had two brownies for dessert. After dinner we talked until 8 pm when she took her Ambien and we got her to bed without any problems.

3. Sunday Dec 8th 2013

Mom slept through the night and didn't wake us up until 5:30 the next morning. We had gotten her ready for the day and she was sitting at the kitchen table finishing her cinnamon rolls with her medicine when my Aunt showed up at 8 am. The plan was my brother was going to stay with my Aunt at the house while I went to church with my Dad. Dad and I helped Mom go to the bathroom one last time before we left and then put her back in her wheelchair.After church I texted my brother to see how things were going and when he said that Mom and my Aunt had been talking the whole time we were gone we decided to take advantage of the time and go grocery shopping for the next few days.

When we got back from the store we helped Mom go to the bathroom again and then my Aunt stayed with my Mom while we prepared lunch. The questions and conversations this morning were all about things that had happened back when my parents lived in Colorado during the late 90's.She kept asking questions about the house they were building and when it was going to be ready. She was constantly asking about her friends from that area as well.

My Aunt left shortly after lunch where my Mom had no problem finishing her sandwich and the brownie afterwards. She stayed in her wheelchair all afternoon only getting out of her chair to go to the bathroom in between our walks outside. She even had us roll her out into the backyard so she could see her garden. 

After Mom finished her dinner and brownies for dessert she was pretty tired and it was pretty easy getting her ready for bed that night. We all talked for awhile and after she took her Ambien at 8 pm we helped her go to the bathroom one last time and got her to bed.

4. Jak

I'm def subbed to this thread and i'm sorry about this situation. Not to try and derail your thread with my own sob story i just see similar things that i had to deal with, with my grandma. It's kinda ironic that i had to fly from ca to ct (where all my family is since i was born and raised there.) My grandmom had dementia and she had some of the same symptoms as your mom.

She fell out of her bed one night and she couldn't get up like she forgot how to use her legs, the anger showed itself one night she chased my mom with a knife, she said only a few sentences if anything at all, she completly lost use of her legs, and then the very end (which i hope your story has a better outcome) she started sleeping literally all day was put on hospice and eventually passed away. :(

I really feel for you and your family and hope you guys can get through this tough time.

[​IMG]

5. Wow, Jak. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I lost my grandma a couple years ago, and it was horrible. It gets better, but it won't ever be the exact same anymore. Those blades that helped you are the definition of a good Samaritan.

Good luck, man.

"Aww man, I'm gonna be late for work again... It's the 5th time man, it's only Tuesday!" -Cheech, Cheech & Chong

6. Jak, I have to ask (sorry!!!), but have you finished with this thread???  Because I get the feeling that there is still many things left un-said....am I wrong?

~Sundance~  I fully realize that you started this thread for a reason & I would hate to think you were unable to vent the last of it, after going sooooo far down this road.....It's a healing of the self you were looking for, correct?

7. No worries! Jak is well and been very busy. Big move and gettin things settled. I'm sure he'll come post here again very shortly!

8. I will be waiting then......as will (I'm certain!) others.......take your time, Jak!  :yay:

~Sundance~

Thanks Sundance! No need to be sorry. This thread is not finished yet and as @[member="LilJ86"] has said I have been in the process of moving from the East Coast to the Midwest and our house still isn't finished. I do plan on finishing this thread so please bear with me just a little longer.   :wave:

10. I'm truly sorry Jak!  

11. I did one last move in 2010 & I swear I will never do it again at my age....But it seems there is a cathartic response when you start sorting thru your things & throwing them out......Those "THINGS" are your pieces of your Life & throwing them in a dumpster.....Wow, it feels good!  LOL  It's a pain in the ass at the time, but sooooooooooooo worth it........"Change" is something I've always looked forward too.... :yay:  

~Sundance~  Don't mind me...just woke up & on my first cup of Mud...& I think I'll smoke a bowl too!  Doing HARVEST here & my place smells WONDERFUL!!!  LMAO.....