New Study Say The ‘Gateway Drug’ Is Alcohol, Not Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by GreenRush, Dec 26, 2013.

1. A study in the August edition of The Journal of School Health finds that the generations old theory of a “gateway drug” effect is in fact accurate for some drug users, but shifts the blame for those addicts' escalating substance abuse away from marijuana and onto the most pervasive and socially accepted drug in American life: alcohol.
    Using a nationally representative sample from the University of Michigan's annual Monitoring the Future survey, the study blasts holes in drug war orthodoxy wide enough to drive a truck through, definitively proving that marijuana use is not the primary indicator of whether a person will move on to more dangerous substances.
    “By delaying the onset of alcohol initiation, rates of both licit substance abuse like tobacco and illicit substance use like marijuana and other drugs will be positively affected, and they'll hopefully go down,” study co-author Adam E. Barry, an assistant professor at the University of Florida's Department of Health Education & Behavior, told Raw Story in an exclusive interview.
    While Barry's study shows evidence that substance abuse behaviors can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy by examining a subject's drug history, he believes that the persistent and misguided notion of marijuana as the primary gateway to more harmful substances went awry because its creators - who called it the “Stepping Stone Hypothesis” in the â€œReefer Madness” era of the 1930s â€“ fundamentally misread the data and failed to conduct an adequate follow-up.
    “Some of these earlier iterations needed to be fleshed out,” Barry said. “That's why we wanted to study this. The latest form of the gateway theory is that it begins with [marijuana] and moves on finally to what laypeople often call ‘harder drugs.' As you can see from the findings of our study, it confirmed this gateway hypothesis, but it follows progression from licit substances, specifically alcohol, and moves on to illicit substances.”
    “So, basically, if we know what someone says with regards to their alcohol use, then we should be able to predict what they respond to with other [drugs],” he explained. “Another way to say it is, if we know someone has done [the least prevalent drug] heroin, then we can assume they have tried all the others.”
    And while that standardized progression certainly doesn't fit every single drug user, the study took that into account too. “There were a low enough number of errors that you are able to accurately predict [future substance abuse behavior]… with about 92 percent accuracy,” Barry said.
    By comparing substance abuse rates between drinkers and non-drinkers, they ultimately found that seniors in high school who had consumed alcohol at least once in their lives “were 13 times more likely to use cigarettes, 16 times more likely to use marijuana and other narcotics, and 13 times more likely to use cocaine.”
    Barry also noted that the rates of tobacco and marijuana use among all 12th grade high school students were virtually the same, confirming a report the Centers for Disease Control published in June, and an analysis Raw Story published in May.
    The study should give pause to anyone involved in youth drug awareness programs, as its findings suggest that making science-based alcohol education a top priority could actually turn the tide of the drug war - but only if lawmakers and leading educators decide to use that same science as a foundation for public policy and school curriculum.
    “I think [these results] have to do with level of access children have to alcohol, and that alcohol is viewed as less harmful than some of these other substances,” Barry added.
    That social misconception, largely driven by the sheer popularity of alcohol and the profits it generates for private industry, is diametrically opposed to the most current science available on drug harms. A study published in 2010 in the medical journal Lancet ranked alcohol as the most harmful drug of all, above heroin, crack, meth, cocaine and tobacco. Even more striking: The Lancet study found that harms to others near the user were more than double those of the second most harmful drug, heroin.
    In its last Youth Risk Behavior Survey, the CDC found (PDF) that about 71 percent of American students have had at least one alcoholic beverage in their lifetime, and almost 39 percent reported having at least one drink within the last 30 days.
    “This is a time of budget tightening,” Barry concluded. “Many social services are being cut. If you take [our findings] and apply them to a school health setting, we believe that you are going to get the best bang for your buck by focusing on alcohol.”
    Updated from a prior version to add CDC's Youth Risk Behavior Survey and clarify that the study's confirmed ‘gateway drug' effect only pertains to students who reported abusing substances other than alcohol.
    Stephen C. Webster, The Raw Story

Article: http://altering-perspectives.com/2013/12/new-study-say-gateway-drug-alcohol-marijuana.html

2. I have always maintained that "if" MJ was a gateway drug ,it was due to the means to acquire it, not the drug itself.

3. i agree.....alcohol is more of a problem and gets people going down the wrong road......but to each their own

4. I just wanted to say "Thank you" for posting this article.  It says what I've suspected for a long time.  I would never encourage one of my children to use any mind-altering substance, but if they were going to I'd far rather it be cannabis than alcohol.  I see many people who use MJ heavily for years, and never progress to problem usage.  I think alcohol is far more dangerous. 

5. Fuckin right, most people can control their actions blazed, alcohol stomps your ability to make decisions."Bullshit from the asshole of an angel" - Slug

6. I think people who wanna do drugs will do them regardless of where they started IMO. This 'gateway drug' stuff is just another political scare tactic. I drink a lot of beer, but for some reason I have zero desires to go do crack afterwards. When my alcohol tolerance gets high, I stop drinking for a while instead of doing heroin lol. Frankly, I could live with weed and weed alone and never need to go do hard drugs!

7. The question of which drug could be a gateway isnt important. Alcohol and MJ are both valuable and each have their merits when used by a responsible person.

8. I knew it

I have a job that requires me to be in court frequently.  I have never seen anyone who committed an act of violence due to using marijuana.  If alcohol wasn't part of our tradition, and it was discovered today, there's no way it would get FDA approval.  If marijuana was discovered today, I think it would probably be FDA approved.  

10. Yeah, thats what theyre gonna find when they study stupid people.

11. The whole gateway drug theory is such bullshit.

People with self control issues shouldn't be allowed to do any drug -- that's the only reason there's this whole war on "narcotics."

12. [quote name="NoobHillbilly" post="19236774" timestamp="1388152833"]I have a job that requires me to be in court frequently. I have never seen anyone who committed an act of violence due to using marijuana. If alcohol wasn't part of our tradition, and it was discovered today, there's no way it would get FDA approval. If marijuana was discovered today, I think it would probably be FDA approved. [/quote]Totally agree, it really bothers me that our own government mislabels things, deceiving its own people.Bud is just one thing. Think of all the other secrets the government keeps from us."Bullshit from the asshole of an angel" - Slug

13. The only reason cannabis COULD be a gateway drug is because most marijuana users get it illegally off the streets, where they also might encounter harmful drugs. Get the herb off the streets like alcohol and i'm sure that this whole "gateway drug" shit would disappear. I mean jeez the only reason alcohol isn't the gateway drug is because it's not on the street, because I think we can all agree that alcohol intoxication is much more dangerous than marijuana intoxication. Not to mention I bet the majority of hard-drug abusers have also been drunk in their life. Damn people can't seem to make sense for themselves.......

14. this is hilarious considering two high ranking public officials have recently outright blamed alcohol for their cocaine use.... and yet cannabis is the gateway drug to these lunatic republicans

15. i  agree with you, but i think this is only true for those that would try other drugs anyways. for the most part it seems people enjoy cannabis so much they dont need to use other drugs. this is how i feel personally.

on the other hand, a florida republican congressman caught doing cocaine said "alcohol doesnt work for me so i did this" basically.

alcohol is a shitty drug, it can even make cocaine look good

16. Only read the title, I've been saying this all along...

17. I agree, I hate drinking and would never touch any hard drug, alls i need is my weed   :smoke: